PDA

View Full Version : Airplane Travel- What to Pack

kep
03-27-2007, 11:06 PM
What on earth do you pack for a 4 year old & a 6 month old? We are bringing two carseats, the P3, a sling/Mei Tai, and the Lands End Backpack. I am as terrified of overpacking as I am of getting up there and realizing that I didn't bring enough dipes or something similiar.

My 4 year old is potty trained, so maybe just an extra set of clothes for him. The baby is exclusively breastfed, so I'm assuming I will just need to bring several changes of clothes, a light blanket, dipes, wipes, paci's, etc.

This will be a longer cross-country flight, with a 2 hour layover. The last time I flew with my older child, he ended up ignoring most of what I brought for him to do, and either asked a million questions about the plane or watched DVD's the entire time. (He was just turning 3 the last time we flew.) What do 4 year olds do on a long airplane trip? I don't think we are going to have a DVD player again. Help!

I do not want to be bogged down with stuff again. It was horrible last time! So just the essentials this time! :) And, since we have two adults going, should we each wear a backpack? Maybe filling one with clothes & dipes and the other with activities & snacks?

Thanks! :)

Kelli

Proud Mommy to Lukey (2003). Weaned after 3 years of happy nursing!
And Mommy to our newest baby, Joseph, born 3 days after Christmas.

Lynnie
03-28-2007, 11:30 AM
i think the two backpack idea is great - then you'll know where stuff is.

i bring lolipops for them to suck on when the plane takes off/lands (although not at 6 months !!)

I do love the dvd player. without that, a puzzle book would probably keep my 4 yo occupied. he loves doing mazes and stuff. he also (hangs head in shame) likes to play those video games on my phone. i *think* you are allowed to do that on flight, since its not a call, but don't know.

snacks are big.

my 4 year old often sleeps.

good luck !

kep
03-28-2007, 12:15 PM
Thanks, Lynnie! Speaking of video games, my son is going to be getting a Leapster L-Max (or whatever the name is!) for his 4th birthday. I imagine with headphones, that would be a great thing to bring, too. And I will definately bring some lollipops. Thanks! :)

Kelli

s_gosney
03-28-2007, 12:32 PM
I flew recently with my dd (3 y/o) and I just brought along books, stuff to draw with, and her leapster. We didn't even bother with headphones b/c over the noise of the plane, I could barely hear it and she was right next to me. She also enjoyed the Water Wonder book I got her. I actually had a harder time with her at the airport than on the plane though. She's a runner, so keeping up with her and the car seat and carry-ons was challenging.

Good luck!

kep
03-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Oh, yeah. I had temporarily forgotten about the deafening noise from the plane. :)

Kelli

stillplayswithbarbies
03-28-2007, 12:56 PM
You can't have your phone turned on at all on the plane, unless it has an "airplane mode". That keeps it from trying to go out and find a signal.

Check your manual before you go so you know how to put it in that mode, and be prepared to explain it to the flight attendants.

pb&j
03-28-2007, 01:56 PM
Since your 4 yo will be riding on his own ticket, he's entitled to a carry on as well. I'd suggest packing a child size backpack for him with his change of clothes, toiletries, and a toy or activity for him. Cuts down on your load a little bit, and gives him a little ownership of the process.

Yes, you and DH should each have a backpack. It's amazing how much room just a few dipes can take up!

-Ry,
mom to Max the one year old
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

JBaxter
03-28-2007, 10:08 PM
Nathan has is own Thomas wheeled carry on. He had a few snacks and his DVD player. If your DS is getting a leapster you may want to get a "suprise" new game for him. I like to take my own snacks ( grapes applesauce pirates booty) they have such crap in the airport and on the plane.

Lynnie
03-29-2007, 06:26 AM
ds1 is turning 5 next week, and if that is anything like a video game (but more educational maybe ??) he might really love it.

will go google it, but just curious to hear a mom's review.

kep
03-29-2007, 07:33 AM
Yes, it is definately in the catagory of "educational" video games. My 5 year old nephew has one and *loves* it. I think 4 is the lower end of the age range it is rec'd for, but my ds is great at manual dexterity. And he loves anything electronic. :)

Edited to add a link:
http://www.leapfrog.com/Primary/Libraries/Categories/LeapsterLMaxEducationalGame/PRD_lmax/Leapster+LMax153+Learning+Game+System.jsp?CID=KNC-CROSSQ4

Kelli

kep
03-29-2007, 07:56 AM
Great idea! Thank you. :)

Kelli

kep
03-29-2007, 07:57 AM
I am definately planning on bringing snacks. (And I must remember Pirate Booty!) Thanks.

Kelli

Lynnie
03-29-2007, 12:57 PM
thanks !

gotta be more educational than my CELL PHONE games, and internet checkers that he likes to play now !! (although, you do have to think to play checkers I guess)