PDA

View Full Version : What are some of your favorite momma brands? J. Jill, Banana, etc?

hudsonam
03-28-2007, 07:29 AM
I get a million catalogs these days, since I'm forever shopping on the internet. The J. Jill one definitely interests me. Anyone buy their clothes? What other brands do you like?

trumansmom
03-28-2007, 03:10 PM
I like J Jill a LOT. I have several things from there. One thing to keep in mind is that they run really, really big. I would order at least one size smaller than usual, if not two. If nothing else, I would call and talk to a sales person in one of their stores if you don't have one near. When I walked in the door at one of their stores recently the sales people handed things to me in a much smaller size than I would have ever imagined, and they were right.

I've found their quality to be okay. They tend to have really great sales, so it's really easy to avoid paying full price. (Which is always a bonus for me.:) )

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

kijip
03-28-2007, 03:29 PM
I have a few things from J Jill and like them. For work clothes, basics and dresses, I have been really lucky with the new Gap Inc store, Forth and Towne. I also like their jeans. They are basically most of what I wear right now- either to the zoo with T or to work. The cuts are great for people that are not flat tummied, LOL and you can get sizes 16, 18 and 20 at the stores themselves rather than having to order online. They have sizes 2-20, I think. They have a lot of in store sales at the one here in Seattle and they mail out a lot of coupons.

Here is their website:

http://www.forthandtowne.com/#1.0

Marisa6826
03-28-2007, 05:00 PM
Katie-

I read a couple weeks ago that they're closing Forth and Towne :(

To the OP:

J. Jill stuff is great. Definitely don't pay full price, though. They have coupons/sales *all* the time.

If you can get them on sale, Hanna Andersson's Mommy clothes are really quite nice and very well made.

My latest obsession has been Eileen Fisher. I've been hunting stuff down on eBay, and there's a true factory outlet not far from me, where I've had some really good luck finding my size. Her stuff full price is ridiculous, but I've found a lot of good sales. I especially like that her designs/colours are timeless and classic. You can also dress them up or down.

Sigrid Olsen is another fave. I've found her stuff at Marshalls.

My wardrobe is a strange mix of Target Ts and yoga pants, Lands End, Levis, some Eddie Bauer, Caslon (Nordy's brand), etc.

The days of getting 'dressed' every morning are a distant, foggy memory. :P

-m

Lilysmom06
03-28-2007, 05:22 PM
I also have a wierd mix of clothing brands. Problem is not everything pre-baby fits, and since I am not working most of it is not appropriate for everyday. I find I mostly wear my long-sleeve J.Crew t-shirts - I like that they are long enough to cover everything, and the quality is good. I also like my J.Crew cargo pants, and my Lucky Jeans. Along with workout pants, this is my basic outfit lately :(. As for internet shopping, I like the Gap website - lots of sales, easy to return to the store, and I can shop for myself and DD at the same time. The Nordstrom website is also great, and you can return to the store as well. They have a great shoe selection - and you never feel bad if shoes don't fit :).

Happy Shopping!

Kathy

ctmom
03-29-2007, 06:04 AM
Marissa,
Does Eileen Fisher still hold her warehouse sale at her offices in Irvington, NY? I used to live there before we moved to CT, and I loved going. Her clothes are great, but if you are short, like me, it is sometimes hard to find stuff that fits right. I have a simple, black A-line dress that I bought about 8 years ago, that I still wear.

Other brands I wear a lot are Lands End, Gap, J. Jill and when I find Jones NY (petite) at TJ Maxx or Marshalls...

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

Marisa6826
03-29-2007, 07:38 AM
Mary-

Don't know about the one in Irvington, but the one in Secaucus is still here and going strong.

They're having a major clearance right now. Just about 80% of the store was 70% off, the rest of it was 50-60% off or 'as marked'.

I'm 5'1", so I know how hard it can be with her pants. Fortunately, since the cut is so simple, they don't look funny if you have them hemmed. She's also got quite a bit of cropped styles at the moment.

-m

ctmom
03-29-2007, 08:42 AM
forgot about Secauscus, and when I hear about deals like this, I wish I was closer!

She lives, and her office is in Irvington, so that is where she had a warehouse sale once or twice a year. It was neat, because she would actually be at the sale, giving advice to customers! I remember it being a big deal locally, when she moved her some of her offices/operations from NYC to the burbs!

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

Marisa6826
03-29-2007, 09:13 AM
How cool is that?!

How far is Irvington from NYC?

-m

ctmom
03-29-2007, 02:44 PM
It is about 25 minutes from the GWB. First town south of the Tappen Zee, right on the Hudson.

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03

kijip
03-30-2007, 02:04 AM
>Katie-
>
>I read a couple weeks ago that they're closing Forth and Towne
>:(

say what? I was just there. Ack. Well, I hope the sales get *really* good. x(

ETA: I just read it on the website. I am seriously bummed because I had such luck with work pants there after several years of wearing fugly pants to work for lack of a better looking and better fitting option in my size. And we know it will be too much to hope that their other stores start carrying some of those cuts.

MayB
03-30-2007, 04:35 AM
They don't do a catalog, but I buy most of my clothes at either Ann Taylor Loft or an Ann Taylor outlet. Love their stuff for both work and casual. I got a few Hanna sweaters this winter and loved each of them. Got lots of compliments.