PDA

View Full Version : WWYD? Playgroup Advice

niccig
03-29-2007, 03:54 PM
I need advice on how to handle this. In our playgroup all the other mums except me either already have DC#2 or are pregnant with DC#2. I know they're busy with DC#2 or tired, but the last few playtimes at the park, I'm left to supervise 4 toddlers on the play equipment while the mums are sitting down 75ft away at the picnic tables. I don't mind helping out and we've always looked after each other's children, but it's starting to get to me. My DS is short for his age and I have to help him climb some of the equipment or hold his hand, so I can't always be watching 3 other active kids. I'm not looking to confront the other mums, more of a "who's coming to help me" kind of request.

maestramommy
03-29-2007, 05:02 PM
What would happen if you just didn't supervise their kids, concentrated on your own? Or just sat down with the other mums? I only ask this question because our playgroup is similar in that many of us are preggo with DC#2 and tend to just sit while the older child plays. But they do keep an eye out just to make sure their kid's aren't getting into trouble. I have to help my dd also because she's rather short and just not as agile as the other ones. If I see another kid having problems while I'm busy I just call out to the mum she comes asap.

C99
03-29-2007, 05:09 PM
I would sit down and chat and let another mom stand up to help the kids on the playground equipment. In our playgroup, it's less that we leave one or two moms to supervise all the other kids than we trust our kids on the playground equipment and one or two moms do not.

SnuggleBuggles
03-29-2007, 07:12 PM
I would suggest hosting it people's (childproof) himes so that everyone can relax, chit chat, and the kids can safely play. I have found it to just be much easier to have in the home playdates when parents have more than one child. It seems like we all end up having to spend the whole time chasing kids rather than me getting a chance to socialize. :) You can also look for a very small, fenced in playground/ play space just to help keep the parents closer by.

Or, you could just watch your kids and let those other parents live and learn if their's take a tumble while they weren't being supervised.

Beth