PDA

View Full Version : very very ot. What exactly does the charge of larceny include?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
03-30-2007, 01:15 AM
Maybe it's just the late hour or the heat but I was just looking through the crime statistics for my neighborhood through the online database for the st.louis police dept. and I was having trouble with one thing. Exactly what constitutes larceny? The other stats are getting much better but the larceny numbers seem to be climbing. Is larceny as simple as getting caught shoplifting from the 7-11 or is it more serious. I have no idea what the terminology includes and we're trying to decide whether we want to move or pay for parochial school. If anyone knows i'd really appreciate it if you'd let me know. thanks

elliput
03-30-2007, 06:33 AM
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&defl=en&q=define:Larceny&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title

miki
03-30-2007, 12:46 PM
To be sure, you'd have to look at your state's definition of the crime. Generally speaking larceny is simple theft. It can be shoplifting, pickpocketing, check fraud, lot of things. Petit larceny would be theft of a small value while grand larceny is theft of something of large monetary value. But theft that includes violence, like a mugging at knifepoint, would usually be called robbery instead of larceny. And stealing from a residential home is often called burglary instead of larceny. Again, to be sure, you'd have to check your state's statutes.