PDA

View Full Version : Is your child afraid of anything?

JBaxter
03-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Nathan is REALLY scared of our house alarm and smoke alarm. He FREAKS OUT to the point of trembling. Now anytime he gets in a disagreement with me, DH his brothers or the dog he tells us he is going to have the woo woo doors's come get us.
He even told his teacher "Be good the woo woo doors's coming get you" We dont have scary monsters we have woo woo doors!

Anyone what to share any of their DC's fears?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
03-30-2007, 08:28 PM
The car wash,worms,june bugs,

SnuggleBuggles
03-30-2007, 08:44 PM
-shadows (probably more the dark...he sleeps with 2 nightlights and one 25 watt lamp at night)
-dogs

Beth

kimbe
03-30-2007, 09:21 PM
DD also hates the carwash. We felt horrible when we went through with her. We thought that she would like it - wrong. Now my car is just always dirty! LOL!

She has also started being afraid of the Ped. We went for a well baby/weight check the other day and as soon as the nurse opened the door and called her name to go back to the room, she started yelling "No pinch, no pinch, no pinch!" She continued with that chant as well as "go, go, go" ; "all-done" and "shirt on, pants on shoes on" until we were in the car! Poor kid.

sarahsthreads
03-30-2007, 09:22 PM
> The car wash,worms,june bugs,

I'm 30-something and I'm terrified of june bugs. Ugh. Those nasty things like to fly into my curly hair and get stuck. I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it. :P

DD has only ever shown true terror once: when we went out for hibachi japanese and the chef did the whole wall of fire thing...that was not a pretty evening.

Sarah :)

Marisa6826
03-30-2007, 10:55 PM
Sophie *totally* becomes unhinged if she hears the noise the phone makes if it's left off the hook.

Strange child. At least it cured her of taking it off the hook!

Mia is kind of unnerved by the vacuum cleaner. Then again, the dog thinks it's his mortal enemy, so no wonder. *sigh*

-m

shilo
03-30-2007, 11:07 PM
ok, so ditto the carwash too, but only if it's HIS car. we've done the one where you stay in the car, and he freaked out. so wanting to spare DS that, i think, ok, we'll go to the one where you get out of the car and watch it go thru. he's laughing and pointing and enjoying watching the other cars get their 'bath' and then our car comes down the conveyor belt and he FLIPS OUT as soon at the whirly brushes and sprayer hit 'sam's car'. wigging fit, the whole nine yards.

so now we go into the little store to pay right away and i kill a few minutes in there until i'm sure ours is out front getting dried. strange child :).

only other thing he's ever really lost it over was when i put on my mask and snorkel to go diving while we were in hawaii last summer. he did NOT like anyone (mom, dad, grams, grandpa, etc.) in a mask.

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

Pennylane
03-31-2007, 06:06 AM
Bounce Houses! We have one at our local mall and my son won't walk near it. Also we have a small one we set up in our garage for my dd's. I have to shut the door and take him to the other side of the house when they jump!

Oh, and car washes!

Ann

elliput
03-31-2007, 06:50 AM
The vacuum cleaner. I can only vacuum when she is asleep and then must put the vacuum back in the closet right away. She was a bit unnerved seeing it in the closet for a while also, but now not so much.

She also isn't to fond of the air compressor which I use to keep the stroller tires inflated.

SnuggleBuggles
03-31-2007, 08:15 AM
Those totally freaked out ds too until he was almost 4. It was the sound of the air that did him in. Too noisy.

Beth

bcky2
03-31-2007, 08:53 AM
my younger ds is afraid of bugs, all types of bugs. it is kinda cute in a way ;) my older ds is afraid of the dark and i feel for him because i was afraid of the dark as a child also and it was horrible to just have my mom say there is nothing there get over it. i know it isnt that simple so i do feel bad for him. oh yes, and i am afraid of bugs also so me and my younger ds hide while older ds takes care of them for us :)

denna
03-31-2007, 01:58 PM
You know the Busy Ball Popper by Fisher Price? It has a little song and it has a fan that makes the ball POP out of the top of the toy...well DS is DEATHLY afraid of this thing. It was a Christmas gift and has yet to be played with b/c through several attempts he has freaked out.

I should really donate that to someone....

MrsZaz
03-31-2007, 02:29 PM
Automatic flushing toilets! My older DS got flushed on once and that was the end of it for him. Now we either need to 'stealth tinkle' or try and find a restroom that does not have an automatic flush.

Colleen

jenjenfirenjen
03-31-2007, 03:31 PM
These completely wigged my DS out too. Just put a piece of toilet paper over the sensor as soon as you get in the stall and it will keep it from flushing on you.

L is afraid of the vacuum but it's just the big vacuum. He loves the Dustbuster and the Stick Vac and likes to help me with those. He also is terrified of the carwash. D is not afraid of anything in particular I don't think. He just detests doing anything that involves not having me glued to his side.

bubbaray
03-31-2007, 06:27 PM
Carbon monoxide/natural gas alarm. That my DH can set off with his farts. Took us a while to figure that one out. Kinda funny, kinda not.

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

saschalicks
03-31-2007, 06:48 PM
DS1 is afraid of balloons, vaccuums, and so much more that it changes day-to-day. I wish I had a solution.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
03-31-2007, 10:57 PM
I forgot that she's also afraid of vacuums and automatic toilets. We went to the botanical garden for the japanese festival and all the auto toilets were going off constantly in the bathroom and it was very loud. since then dd's been terrified of them. So much so that the last time we went to the garden she had a major meltdown in the ladies room,i had to hunt down someone in the giftshop to find a toilet with a handle. DD kept saying "I want one with a handle!" "Those are scary". Luckily there was a handle operated one in the employee break room, the staffer took us all the way back to it and dd was very relieved. The vacuum has been since she was and infant. I've just gotten used to vacuuming when she's asleep. Funny though-before our shark broke she'd actually use that, but the plug in vacuum she still runs upstairs to get away from,guess i've just gotten used to her quirks. We've all got them. Ds has yet to develop anything-but there's time.

peasprout
04-01-2007, 12:00 AM
DS is afraid of having his feet exposed. He wears socks 24/7 (baths being the only exception). He can go for maybe 15 minutes in between sock changes before whining that he needs his socks, and full on crying if he doesn't get them. ;)
JP

Aunt to sweet baby boy
04-01-2007, 12:31 AM
Avi is not really afraid of anything, but he has just figured out the word scared and he will tell me he is scared of something just to get me to go with him and do it. For example, today he did not want to go to his room by himself to get a book so he said he was scared. When i said i was coming he went without a problem, but it is really just his new word to use. The one thing i can think of is when the my dog is barking, but we are working on him telling the dog to stop because he used to freak out at the noise, now he yells at the dog to stop.

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/061128/V76Q.jpg[/img]http://b3.lilypie.com/wYA-m8/.png[/img][/url]

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
04-01-2007, 08:56 AM
Nick was totally afraid of the car wash, so I bought that old Rose Royce cd " workin at the car wash yeah, come on ya'll and sing it with me" we put on the cd and I bust out all my old dancin moves. Now Nick loves the actual car wash and asks to go almost evey time we are in the car.

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 Kate 04-26-06

tarynsmum
04-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Balloons. I thought we were over it (going anywhere with balloons is a TERROR, especially when some unsuspecting server at a restaurant thinks they're being nice and tries to give her one), but at a birthday party yesterday she was FLIPPING OUT that there were balloons in the same room as the food <rolls eyes> Then I showed her they could only live "up high" and she was fine, as long as they didn't come down to her level.

DrSally
04-01-2007, 12:48 PM
Vacuums and automatic toilets must be common. The toilets are so loud. I try to wait until the last possible second, flush, and pick him up out of his stroller as fast as I can. The first time he heard one (a bunch) was at an airport when several were going off at once and he was so freaked out!

ohmommymommy
04-01-2007, 01:05 PM
mY child is deathly aFraid of hiLLary cLintoN. eVerytime she comes on the tv screen, my child screams in absolute terror.

rlu
04-01-2007, 05:34 PM
The dark, bugs (this is new), vacuum (he used to love it), and any flushing toilet (makes public bathrooms dicey unless no one else is in there).

Our dog isn't too sure about balloons since the latex ones tend to wander the house at night.

katerinasmom
04-02-2007, 12:10 PM
My DD is terrified of the noise clanking and hissing that comes out of the cast iron steam radiators in our house. Whenever the heat comes on she comes running from her room full of tears begging me to turn the heat off. She has woken up in the middle of night terrified and every time I ask her to get something from her room or do something in her room she asks me first if the heat is on.

chiqanita
04-02-2007, 12:42 PM
Let's see my 2.5 yo twins are frightened of the vac when it's on. One runs away as fast as he can and the other screams & cries until it's shut off. The blow dryer, too for that matter.

DSa is also frightened of two of the Jack's Big Music Show episodes with the 'un scary' little monster and the one with the 'little bad wolf'.

DrSally
04-02-2007, 06:14 PM
I thought of that when we were living in a house with radiators. Luckily we moved to a newer house before DS was born. You can't really do much about it. Although, I remember a This Old House show where they did something to the radiators to stop them from clanking so much.

kijip
04-02-2007, 10:16 PM
Not so much anymore. But he used to be legendarily afraid of puppets and baths. Like sob, kick, scream, flee and whimper all at the same time. Thank gawd those days have passed!

still, he is skittish about birds inside (like parakeets) and a bit nervous if I take him through the car wash.

shilo
04-03-2007, 01:36 AM
oh dear, i think i just woke up my ds laughing so hard. that's classic.

thanks for the laugh, lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

ctmom
04-03-2007, 05:39 AM
maybe I should try that! DD#2 is very afraid of the car wash.

Mary
dd#1 2/01
dd#2 12/03