PDA

View Full Version : How do I get rid of a broken printer?

luvmypeanut
04-02-2007, 12:03 PM
I don't really want to put it in the regular trash. Can it be recycled?

elliput
04-02-2007, 12:23 PM
Check to see if there is a recycling center in your area that takes computer equipment or electronics. I found this info which may help http://www.nsc.org/ehc/epr2/cntctlst.htm

bostonsmama
04-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Our local landfill (we're lucky, it's not too far) has a covered building that mandatorily recycles computer and electronic equipment. We also have a major SPSA recycling center that processes all kinds of things like cell phone batteries, paint and household chemicals, TV tubes, computers & all sorts of stuff like that. You can also browse your local yellow pages, since some scrap yard and junk removal companies will come pick up items for free and recycle them for you (they can profit from selling the scrap parts, metal, etc). It's worth a look.

Marisa6826
04-02-2007, 01:13 PM
What about listing it on freecycle.org?

-m

scoop22
04-02-2007, 01:38 PM
check your local schools. they sometimes will recycle for you or let kids work on them..
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

MarisaSF
04-02-2007, 02:45 PM
Three things I would consider:

freecycle -- There's a guy on ours who specifically requests broken electronics. I guess he tinker with them?

Craigslist -- post in the free section. It's amazing what people will take for free.

Waste Department -- ours has electronics recycling days. They can tell you when the next one is or where you can take it.

tarabenet
04-02-2007, 07:18 PM
HP and Dell both have recycling programs and will except tech gear. At leat one of the big office supply chains (Office Depot, I think) periodically hold recycling drives when they accept this stuff. Several components in almost all high-tech electronics are very dangerous in our landfills.

belovedgandp
04-02-2007, 08:29 PM
I don't know how wide spread the store chain is, but Micro Center will recycle broken electronics gear.

kijip
04-02-2007, 10:13 PM
You *can not* put it in the regular trash. If freecycle or craigslist does not pan out, you should either pay a computer store the recycling fee (in my area they all seem to have fees now, even the recycled places) or research household waste pick-ups or drop offs in your area.