PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for faculty appreciation gifts at daycare?

hudsonam
04-03-2007, 08:58 AM
The teachers in my room are young and don't have children. At least two of the three probably wouldn't really care for t-shirts with the kids pictures on them, like we gave the teachers in our infant room who were older women and grandmas - they loved the shirts. :) We were thinking about maybe tote bags with the kids' pictures on them, to use for work, and some personalized items inside, but we're not sure. Does anyone have any good ideas for handmade gifts for young, "hip" teachers? ;)

roysmom
04-03-2007, 09:30 AM
The teachers at DS's daycare love food. Cookies, fudge, snacks, whatever. I make up an assortment at Christmas, Easter, 4th of July, and Halloween and give to the teachers. They go crazy and talk about it for a week or more. I have had the teachers in older classrooms say they can't wait til DS moves up, so they can get the goodies. Cheese straws, cake mix cookies, microwave fudge, and turtle candy are super easy. Email me for recipes if you would like them. I can make up the entire assortment in less than an hour. Put it in a cute tin, mug or box(keepsake) and you have an easy, inexpensive, homeade gift that will keep them raving.

maestramommy
04-03-2007, 09:38 AM
Honestly, in my single days, and even recently, my favorite gifts were things like GC to Starbucks, handmade cards and/or cookies. I think the totes are a pretty good idea.

kedss
04-03-2007, 10:06 AM
How about coffee mugs, I know I've seen places that do mugs with the kids pictures on them? With a gift card for Starbucks? Or ask if there is anything that they need for the classroom?

BeachBum
04-03-2007, 10:10 AM
I think a heartfelt card and gift cert or consumable gift is best. My mom is a teacher and is overwhelmed by the "teacher" themed gifts.

One mom did start her a "scrapbook" that mom can add pics of the kids to over the years and she does like that.

gatorruth
04-03-2007, 11:02 AM
I love www.yourpenpals.com

Allison (the owner) has tons of cute gift packages that are inexpensive!

Happy looking! Ruth

squimp
04-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Target or supermarket gift cards are a popular gift among teachers at our preschool. One told me that they were very happy to receive something that they could really use. My DD also gave them a handmade christmas ornament. :)

lilycat88
04-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Our parent's group did the "appreciation" gifts for teachers at holiday time in December. We essentially put out a collection box for folks to contribute money toward a gift card for the teachers. We took all of the money and divided it up among the teachers. I think the parent's group contributed a small amount from our funds to make it an even amount. We then took the cash and got each teacher a $30 gift card for Target. This was the second year for this project and it was really appreciated. Some teachers used the card to purchase classroom supplies and others used it for something personal. Totally up to them. The director said the teachers really appreciated not getting another "teacher coffee mug". We're also providing dinner for the group next week for one of their monthly staff meetings.

KBecks
04-03-2007, 03:15 PM
How about edibles or drinkables?

fortato
04-03-2007, 09:37 PM
Teachers always get chocolate, candy, candles, and mugs. Steer clear of those things...

We loved getting GC's... Barnes and Noble or Borders are good ones. Target always worked too...

And, in my own experience, I LOVED getting things made by the kids. Even if it's just a card. I kept all of mine.

Have your DC draw a picture of themselves with the teacher... they will love it.... and, ask them to describe the picture- if they can't write it out, you do it... their explanations are a nice addition.

JustMe
04-03-2007, 11:22 PM
I know its not handmade, but I know movie gift cards (sometimes called moviebucks) are usually appreciated by single people who dont have kids.

If you want to stick with handmade, other ideas would be soap or candles. I've never made them myself, but it seems like lots of people do.

Robyn

dylansnan
04-04-2007, 01:03 AM
-Not directed at you Robyn- But as former Daycare teacher I have to say no candles and lotions (Bath and Bodyworks gift baskets) I received enough of that stuff in two years at a center to last me about 5 years.
*A really nice, thick, non-smelly lotion to keep in the room is great, with all the hand washing that goes on*

Edibles, GC's for Starbucks, movies, target.... all good things.

IMO

(as far as hand made, I was 19-21, when I worked in a center, and my favorite gifts-by far- were the small "scrapbooks" of photos made by parents- I still have them 9 years later)

janeybwild
04-04-2007, 07:20 AM
We're having each child bring a flower (one for each teacher) to class on that day to create a crazy bouquet from the kids (we'll have a glass vase ready).