PDA

View Full Version : What is Thomas and Friends Live like?

american_mama
04-04-2007, 12:11 AM
Has anyone seen the stage show called "Thomas and Friends Live: Thomas Saves the Day"? Is it a pupper show or people dressed up as the train characters, or a play mixing human actors and the trains, what? Is there singing? How long is it, and is the story one that has been shown on TV or the videos? Did your child like it? How tolerable is it for adults? Ticket prices seems to range from $13 to $28, and I would only do the cheaper seats; any warnings about the view from nosebleed seats or anything?

DD saw a commercial for this - on PBS, I think, how lovely - and was beside herself with excitement. It was so cute. Just want to know more details about it.

SnuggleBuggles
04-04-2007, 09:02 AM
It is regular people dressed up (not in big heads or funky costumes like at the Day out with Thomas thing- just actors) for the people and actual good sized trains for the trains. I was expecting it to be pretty lame, like just people dressed up to look like Thomas, but it was pretty neat that it was an actual train.

We do not watch the Thomas videos or show so I have no idea if it is the same as one of those.

I thought it was quite tolerable for adults. The intermission came at the right time and the 2nd act was shorter than the first.

We bought good tickets and I am glad that we did. I wouldn't have really wanted to be super far away from it but they are probably fine, especially if you can be centered.

Personally I am not sure it would have been worth the $ for a 2yo. My 4.5 really liked it though I think he thought it was a little too long. There were plenty of 2yos around us and they seemed to like it but they weren't really into it. Like, they would have the audience participate by making certain sounds at cerain times or clapping a rhythm and the 2yos around us didn't do any of that. Of course, that doesn't mean they did not like it.

It is a musical and it was pretty well done/ enjoyable. The tickets were pretty pricey though for our seats and I am not sure that the look of awe he had the first few minutes was really worth it. I'm on the fence on my review. In hindsight I probably would have skipped it. But, ds is not a gigantic Thomas fan. he just likes him. Had he *loved* him I am sure it would be different.

Come with some spending $ as every kid in the audience seems to want the $12 flashlight.

In the quarry scene the "rocks" fall on Percy and a little one may get a smidge scared.

It was about 45 minutes for the first act, a 15-20 minute intermission and then maybe another 30 minutes. The box office person told me the wrong #s when I called and she said there was no intermission.

Dress was very casual at our performance. Lots of Thomas gear.

HTH,
Beth

american_mama
04-04-2007, 10:29 PM
Awesome information! Thanks for being so complete!