PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on slip covers..(kinda long)

robinsonbn
04-05-2007, 02:25 PM
I am more than excited over this whole moving thing. It is the first place I actually got to pick out. So I get to decorate. We currently have furniture that looks like it was cut out of a "decorating your first college apartment" catalog. DH loves the couches we have and it will take some pursuading to get him to give them up. They are in a word horrible! They are incredibly comfortable though. Since I finally got him to move I figure wait a year or so then start replacing furniture. Until then I want to get slip covers for the couches and 2 captains chairs that will be in the living room. Evergreen just isn't my color. I want Red or black for the couches and the opposite for the chairs. Our coffee table and entertainment center(which will be comming from my room at my parents DH just doesn't know yet :) ) are a lighter pine. With the right rug I am hoping that it will tie together nicely.
But...our couches are not normal. They are actually meant to be put together with a corner piece to create a wrap around. Somewere along the line the corner piece has disapeared so we have 2 couches but each only has one arm rest. The one is straight acrossed with two cushions (underneath is a pull out bed) but because of the missing arm rest the cushions tend to call off. The other is seperated into 2 seats (both reclinging) with a arm rest and cup holders in the middle (kinda like a little table) Again the one side has no arm rest which creates a problem)
So I need to find slip covers that can cover these odd couches. I think the one (with the bed) will be easier except for the missing arm. The other I am unsure of do I just get two chair covers? How do I cover the middle arm thingy? Any advice will be helpful since I am completely clue less. I would like the covers to be tight enough to look like the actual fabric. Of course things like suade and such are welcome.

BeachBum
04-05-2007, 03:13 PM
I really think you are going to have a problem slip covering those.It may be impossible to do for less than replacing them.
Have you checked out surefit.com? they are the biggest slipcover company I know of.

Another solution would be to use throw blankets and great pillows to blend the green into your new decor. I think you're going to be stuck with it a bit longer.

Globetrotter
04-05-2007, 11:57 PM
ITA

You would need custom slipcovers, which can get pricey unless you sew! Just use throws and pillows for now, or sell it on craigslist and get a second hand one. You can get something pretty decent that way!

Kris