PDA

View Full Version : ? about ticks and kids

SASM
04-06-2007, 12:43 PM
We have already found 2 ticks on Bryn in the last 5 days on 2 separate occasions!! YUCK!!!! Before this week, I have NEVER noticed a tick anywhere and we've lived here for over 2.5 years. The summer hasn't even begun yet and the kids have only played outside less than a handful of times. UGH!!! My neighbor and I had a lengthy discussion about this the other day and she said her girls get about 3 each per summer. Bryn is already ahead of their average. :(

My question is: Is there any way to avoid these things AND what is the easiest way to get them out? My neighbor suggested pouring oil on it to suffocate it, pulling it off with tweezers, and then burning it. The first one hadn't burrowed yet and DH just pulled it off with tweezers without oil. Last night, I found the 2nd one on her head during her bath (of course DH wasn't home at the time). I do not think that it was burrowed but I poured oil on it anyway. Now after 5 washings, her hair is still very oily and I barely used any oil. :( UGH!!

Thank you in advance for any suggestions! :) Sorry about my novel. Ohhhh...I DO NOT like bugs!!!! However, it was a good learning experience for bug-loving Ian!

brittone2
04-06-2007, 12:52 PM
we do alcohol on their heads if they are embedded to get them to back out first (so you get the head and all). Usually a really saturated q-tip soaked in alcohol works for me (I rub it over where the head is). Alcohol will wash out easier. Not sure if there's any reason to avoid the alcohol but this is what we've done for ages now.

We have a lot of ticks where we are. We're in NC, and have TONS of trees and leaves in our yard. Keeping DS out of the wooded areas helps, and keeping the grass on the shorter side helps, but they still happen. I hate ticks too.

I haven't done this yet, but I know people in the area that kill the tick by floating it in oil or alcohol afterward. They then keep it taped to an index card, and date the card with when it was found. Supposedly it is helpful if a rash shows up later, etc. Several daycares and preschools in this area do this.

I think the problem w/ ticks is that they don't have a whole lot of natural predators IIRC. I think Fire Ants are one of their only predators and they aren't fun either.

chrissyhowie
04-06-2007, 07:40 PM
Hey, Sharyn! I hardly ever log on anymore to post, but had to when I saw your siggie :)! Congratulations!!

I don't have any advice about ticks, but I heard that Dawn dishwashing liquid works really well for getting baby oil, petroleum jelly, etc. out of hair.

Three kiddos is challenging at times, but a lot of fun ;).

dogmom
04-06-2007, 08:51 PM
There is no reason to put stuff on them to smother them. It won't work anyway, those buggers are too busy eating and have enough to last a while. The ideas is just to get as close to the base with tweezers and pull it out. Trying to dig it out just causes for damage and screaming from the child. If the head stays in it is superficial and will slough off the skin eventually. I just put antibacterial oinment and a bandaid on afterwards. I'd never had an infection this way. This is the best link I could find.
http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~acarolog/tickgone.htm

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03
& Eve 6/18/06

SASM
04-09-2007, 07:40 AM
Thank you so much for the suggestio of using alcohol!! That sounds a lot less messy that oil!! After 5 days, I am STILL trying to get the oil out of her hair! :( The "filing" of the ticks is actually a good idea...kind of gross but a very good idea. :)

SASM
04-09-2007, 07:45 AM
Hi Chrissy!!!

Thank you so much! I have been thinking about you! :) When you get a chance, I would LOVE if you could email me some "parenting of three" tips! I've been going through a roller coaster of emotions lately (big surprise, huh?) and the last few days I have been getting VERY WORRIED about "THREE!". TIA!!! :)

Hugs,

SASM
04-09-2007, 07:46 AM
Thank you so much, Jeanne. I am going to have to check out that link!