PDA

View Full Version : Sore lumpy breast weeks after weaning

KBecks
04-09-2007, 07:29 AM
Anyone experience this? John stopped BF maybe 2-3 weeks ago and I've noticed one breast is noticeably sore and hard on the bottom half. I think it may be extra milk or maybe a plugged duct or something. I've had a little leaking, mostly on the OTHER side.

I don't think it's a "real" breast lump, but I'm going to call my ins. nurseline today because I've been sore with no changes for a while now.

Curious for any insight, thanks!

hudsonam
04-09-2007, 08:23 AM
Definitely a clogged duct. I was the queen of these while bf'ing. I must have had it happen to me at least 15 times. It was a nightmare. I'd talk to you dr, but what I had to do was apply moist heat and massage it. I also used a wide tooth comb to "comb it out." Good luck!

Momof3Labs
04-09-2007, 09:38 AM
Yep, plugged duct. Get it cleared out before it turns into mastitis! www.kellymom.com is a good resource for this - not much that your doctor can do about unless it does turn into mastitis.

Dee150
04-09-2007, 03:38 PM
I had a 'lump' above one nipple after I stopped pumping. I hadn't noticed it immediately, and when I did, went to my Gyne......who sent me off for a mammogram...and I had to go through the embarassment of having the stuff come out during the mammo! Based on my experience, I'd suggest first doing what you can with the assumption its a plugged duct.

hobokenmom
04-09-2007, 04:13 PM
I definitely had this about 3-4 weeks after weaning. From what I remember, it literally felt like there was a marble or something in my newly deflated boobs, and it was painful.

I think I massaged it and hand-expressed whatever breast milk was left, and then it was fine after that.

Good luck. I hope it clears up!

gatorsmom
04-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Does it hurt? A clogged milk duct hurts like hell (I've had a lot of these) but a scary breast lump doesn't hurt.

It sounds like you have been sore and if so, you should get a hot water bottle or warm wash cloth or get in a hot shower and try to knead it out. It may hurt to massage it, but that's the only way to get it out. Good luck!

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005