PDA

View Full Version : Quick: Would you eat it?

bostonsmama
04-09-2007, 04:12 PM
At mother's house: she's making wild salmon she purchased at Costco (frozen from a company) that's been marinated and individually vacuum packed with some salt, spices and citric acid--although I'm not sure the latter is a preservative or not. As she tells me, she bought it in the afternoon a week ago (on a 60-degree day w/ 40 degree nights), and she didn't remember to get it out of her car until the next morning. She never checked inside the box to see if it was completely thawed, but it likely was. She then refroze it, and it's now thawing in the fridge.

Would you eat it? Would the vacuuming packing and spices prevent bacteria from growing? My mom's concerned that with a preggo/compromised immune system it might make me sick. Any thoughts? Thanks!

L

megs4413
04-09-2007, 04:20 PM
no but i'm psycho when pregnant about that stuff...

wencit
04-09-2007, 04:21 PM
No. I wouldn't eat it as a pregnant woman even ignoring the whole "forgetting it was in the car" incident.

JTsMom
04-09-2007, 04:23 PM
nak
no way, no how!

food poisoning is reaaaaaaaaaaaaly bad. it's not worth it for a piece of fish!

when in doubt, throw it out!

elizabethkott
04-09-2007, 04:24 PM
No way.
Why chance it?

kristenk
04-09-2007, 04:24 PM
None, nope, nope, nope, nope.

elliput
04-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Chances are it thawed completely overnight. Even on a 60 degree day the temperature inside a car can be many degrees warmer if the car was in the sun. If the car was parked out of the sun, the fish most likely thawed but stayed quite cold. I would pass, and would suggest that everyone else pass also.

lizajane
04-09-2007, 04:26 PM
no way! you have worked too hard!!! don't chance it.

elephantmeg
04-09-2007, 04:26 PM
no, no, no and no! And nor should they!

Tracey
04-09-2007, 04:27 PM
I wouldn't eat it. My rule of thumb for me is that if I have any question about it, i don't eat it...not worth the worry. And congratulations :D

jgriffin
04-09-2007, 04:34 PM
No way! Ok, I don't eat fish anyway, but I'll answer for DH, who does. Hell no! He's been sick from eating fish several times, so we wouldn't risk it. Maybe the vacuum packaging would slow the growth of bacteria (I doubt there's enough salt and spices to do so), but why take a chance. I wouldn't even eat meat that had been frozen, thawed in a questionable manner, then refrozen.

When in doubt, toss it out.

KBecks
04-09-2007, 04:46 PM
Hm. Probably not, although you probably would be OK if you did.

bostonsmama
04-09-2007, 04:47 PM
I just can't believe my mother was about to feed me bad fish...and as it turns out...it not only sat overnight, but also for another whole day where it warmed to the 70s. ...And the whole reason I chose the fish was b/c she said the ravioli I picked before that had the same thing happen...and she didn't tell me until just before we put them in the pan. Heavens!

At this point, sealed ramen sounds safer than anything else in her death trap of a kitchen. I can't believe she's not throwing it out ("it was too expensive," she says). My appetite is so gone.

jgriffin
04-09-2007, 04:52 PM
>I just can't believe my mother was about to feed me bad
>fish...and as it turns out...it not only sat overnight, but
>also for another whole day where it warmed to the 70s. ...And
>the whole reason I chose the fish was b/c she said the ravioli
>I picked before that had the same thing happen...and she
>didn't tell me until just before we put them in the pan.
>Heavens!
>
>At this point, sealed ramen sounds safer than anything else in
>her death trap of a kitchen. I can't believe she's not
>throwing it out ("it was too expensive," she says). My
>appetite is so gone.

Ok, I have a new saying: throw it out or throw it up.

Shame on her!!

elliput
04-09-2007, 05:04 PM
YIKES! That fish needs to go. Bad fish doesn't care how much it cost.

kcandz
04-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Glad you chose not to eat it. As PP so eloquently put it, bad fish doesn't care how much it cost.

The only thing I had to add is that vacuum packing doesn't necessarily add any safety. I know of a catering company that got a LOT of people sick from vacuum packing chicken salad lunches individually, but something was not done correctly and bacteria went wild. People couldn't tell the packing was off and munched away. I'm not sure if that company is still in business after that fiasco of mass food-poisoning.

bubbaray
04-09-2007, 05:36 PM
No way, Jose. Not in a million years. Even if I wasn't PG (meaning you being PG, not me, LOL!).

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

ribbit1019
04-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Yuck! Yes I think your mom needs a reminder system of some kind. Come home and immediately put frozen items away.

And Congrats to you Larissa!

Christy
http://lilypie.com/pic/070228/Yrlv.jpg http://b3.lilypie.com/H-lkm5.png
http://lilypie.com/pic/070228/sSDo.jpg http://bf.lilypie.com/tkq-m5.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/steitzsmith/Other/jump.gif

ColorBlue
04-09-2007, 06:55 PM
Uh no! But then I'm crazy about food preparation and hygiene. Not only would I not eat it not pregnant but I wouldn't let anyone else eat it either. It basically sat in the car unrefrigerated for 24 hours! I can't see that the vacuum bag would make it safe to leave out otherwise why would it be frozen in the first place.

Tracy

Bean606
04-09-2007, 06:56 PM
I wouldn't, but I am so crazy about this kind of stuff, and my DH will eat anything, so he thinks I waste a lot of food.

kimbe
04-09-2007, 08:18 PM
So glad that you didn't eat it! I hope that your mom ends up throwing it out!

KBecks
04-09-2007, 09:13 PM
ewww. A little frugality is an asset, but two days of perishable food sitting in warm weather is just not good.

nov04
04-09-2007, 09:23 PM
eek. no way. not even when I'm not pg.