PDA

View Full Version : Would you do Disney (Magic Kingdom) with 3 1/2 yr old & 15 mo old?

mom to little e
04-12-2007, 07:42 PM
We are going to be traveling to Florida for a family vacation next month. DH and I somewhat in disagreement about if we should "do Disney" or not (specifically, the Magic Kingdom). He thinks for the expense it won't be worth it with a 15 month old. I think DS (3 1/2) would love it but I have mixed feelings on if it would be worth the cost/manageable with the toddler. DH thinks when Mia is 4ish and Ean is 6ish, then would be fine.

We are planning on definitely doing Sea World - one of our favorite places. We've been before, I think it will be manageable, and think both Ean and Mia will like it. Mia signs a mean "fish!" :)

Please tell me what you think about Disney.

Maryann
Mommy to Ean & Mia!

Momof3Labs
04-12-2007, 08:14 PM
I'd definitely do it!! I'd think that it would be easier than Sea World since there is so much more geared towards the younger ages (Sea World is great but more spread out and fewer attractions, IMO). It's all what you make of it - if you go intending to see every last thing at the MK, you'll be disappointed. If you go intending to enjoy your day (even if it means riding It's a Small World five times in a row, lol), it's quite likely that you will.

I would not do theme parks two days in a row, though. Give yourself at least a day in between as a break. While you're there, though, try to hit Downtown Disney - Ean is the perfect age to spend lots of time playing at the Lego store!

egoldber
04-12-2007, 08:19 PM
I would, but I'm a certified Disney freak. :) Sarah has been 8 times and Amy has already been to WDW LOL!

Its doable and 3 1/2 is a GREAT age for the Magic Kingdom. The 15 month old will have fun too. Really. You can't do it commando style, but it is very fun. Going to WDW with a small child is very different than going as an adult or with older kids. Its about seeing the wonder in their eyes when they "meet" Pooh or Cinderella and experience Its a Small World for the first time, not about doing all the rides you can do in a day.

kimbe
04-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Do it. We did Disney with DD at 14 months and we are going back with her being 22 months. She had a great time at 14 months and we can't even imagine how much she is going to like it next month -- we think that she just may explode. If your kids liked Sea World, they will probably have fun there. (DD wasn't blown away by Sea World.) The 15 month old gets in the parks free and will eat free at buffets so it won't be much of an added expense.

maddyzmommy
04-12-2007, 08:43 PM
I'm with DH on this one. My daughter is terrified of rides and gets easily spooked by costumed characters. She needs big long naps, she gets hot, she's almost 2 and I couldn't be paid to go. We have two other daughters, 7 and almost 5 and we're waiting until next summer when they're 8, 6 and 3. The lines alone would keep me from wanting to go before then. Sounds like others are more optimistic about the trip so I may be a huge travel weenie. It's been hurled at me before!

Andi

kristenk
04-12-2007, 08:48 PM
How does DS do around characters in full costume? If you don't know, it might be worth the effort to find out before you book your trip.

The Magic Kingdom is chock full of characters. They're everywhere. You especially notice them when your almost-3yo is terrified of them and asks to go back to the hotel when she sees them. :(

If your DS is fine with people in full costume, go if you really want to! Book a character breakfast or lunch and have a great time!

spanannie
04-12-2007, 10:19 PM
I'm with your husband, too. We just got back from WDW with 4.75 yr old DS and 2.75 yr old DD. I think DS was the perfect starting age for it. DD had fun, but as much fun as she would have had anywhere else. She didn't get anything out of the character meals that we paid a boatload for either. I think 4 yr olds really "get" Disney.

kransden
04-12-2007, 11:56 PM
My dd was 3 and loved it. She especially loved two things. The first was the princess lunch in Norway!!!! She met the princesses and hugged them all. It was a thrilling day for her. The second was the gravel/rocks outside one of the fast food places at MGM Studios. Who knew that would be one of the best things in Florida? :) We spent over 15 minutes inspecting the rocks.

So my vote is if you can afford it and you are willing to do what they want go for it.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

AddiesMom
04-13-2007, 05:52 AM
We are Disney-a-holics and DD & I go every January with my parents. She went at 9 weeks old and 14 months old, already have planned next January. She loved the Tiki Bird room in Adventureland both times! Also, you can always do "baby swap" where the whole family waits in line together, and then they allow the adults to take turns on the ride while the other waits with the baby. Just tell the person 'baby swap' and they are very accommodating.

The 15 mo old is free to get in at Disney and Sea World. Kids meals in Disney are very reasonable ($3.99), but Sea World is a fortune for kids meals ($6.99) and adult meals. Next year we are bringing our own food to Sea World.

I would do both Disney and Sea World, just skip Universal and wait until they are older for those parks.

TraciG
04-13-2007, 07:04 AM
Hey I might be there next month too, for me I'm waiting to see if I'm pregnant first, if I am I don't know if we'll go .

I only have Sydney who's almost 3 1/2 .

Momof3Labs
04-13-2007, 07:11 AM
Why would you not go to Disney while newly pregnant?

Momof3Labs
04-13-2007, 07:13 AM
The lines really depend on the time of the year. Both times we've taken DS1 the lines are virtually non-existent. We are planning our next trip for another very slow time of the year. I wouldn't take kids to Disney when it is super hot and the lines are super long - that's miserable for everyone!

kep
04-13-2007, 08:23 AM
I don't think you can ride the vast majority of the rides while pregnant. And when I'm pregnant, I'm sick and tired the whole time. :)

Kelli

Proud Mommy to Lukey (2003). Weaned after 3 years of happy nursing!
And Mommy to our newest baby, Joseph, born 3 days after Christmas.

lmintzer
04-13-2007, 08:34 AM
Nope, not me. Wouldn't in a million years. But that's based more on me, my preferences, and my kids. So I'm not saying it wouldn't work for you.

kimbe
04-13-2007, 08:42 AM
The first time I was pregnant, we found out the first day that we were at Disney! Although I couldn't ride some of the rides....most of them are okay to ride. (Disney has far fewer thrill rides than I would like!)

We are going again this year and I will be going while I am 5 months pregnant. I just go on the same rides that we can take 22 month old DD on.

If you are sick and tired while you are pregnant, don't go, that would be rough! If you are feeling good, you'll have a great time there even if you are pregnant.

My husband is a Disney-a-holic also so we go come hell or high water!!! LOL! I always say to friends, some people take their children to Disney, I take my husband!

egoldber
04-13-2007, 09:25 AM
The only rides you are not really supposed to ride are the coasters and a couple that are particularly bumpy. The VAST majopity of WDW rides and attractions are fine for pregnant women. :) Now how you may be feeling in the first tri is a different story....

Momof3Labs
04-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Not true at all!! I was there while 18 weeks pg with DS2 and could ride anything without a height limit (so no roller coasters, no tower of terror, no thrill rides - oh well).

mom to little e
04-13-2007, 08:56 PM
This is all really good information - thanks! I'll share it with DH when he gets home. One point in my favor is that we didn't realize Mia would get in free. That would be nice! I expected to have to shell out another $50 buck or so, just for her ticket.

We'll see how the debate goes and I'll keep you posted! :)
Maryann
Mommy to Ean & Mia!

kimbe
04-13-2007, 10:34 PM
If you do decide to go, they have Baby Care Centers in all the parks...they are fantastic. Changing tables, highchairs, kitchens and microwaves (so you can bring food, warm it up and feed the kids) nursing rooms and even play rooms with toys and books and videos to kindof give the kids a break. they even have diapers, babyfood, toddler food, sunscreen, medicine and other stuff there for you to buy in case you might need it. They were a lifesaver when we went with DD when she was 14 months.

You'll have to let us know what you guys decide to do!!! If you need even more information, go to www.disboards.com -- loads of information on every subject there. DH reads them daily!

kransden
04-14-2007, 08:13 AM
I totally forgot about the Baby Care Centers. They are wonderful!

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

the mommy
04-14-2007, 08:28 AM
I would say go for it. We just went two weeks ago and did one day at the Magic Kingdom and one at Epcot. My daughter is 3 and she loved it. Her favorite was the Princess Lunch at Epcot. We got to see and take pictures with a bunch of princesses without the whole standing in line thing. For us totally worth it! The character dining is a nice option for smaller kids to meet their favorites. Plus a lot less whining by husbands/wives of "how much longer?"- "do the really need to meet them?" etc., With a plate of food and a coke my husband suffered stoically through lunch with about five princess visits. :) They do book up early though so call soon if you think you'll go, you can always cancel up to a few days before.

They also have a nice "ride/aquarium at Epcot all about Nemo. She loved that one too. She ran around to all the fish tanks looking for Nemo.

We also took her to Disneyland when she was about 18 months. She really liked that trip too- but the "disney" aspect of things was lost on her she didn't really know any characters. She did like the Tiki Room, It's a Small World, and the little water area for the kids to play in.

As PP have said- going with small children is a lot different than with older kids or adults. I went with very few things I really thought we had to do/see and so we just took it easy and did fast passes for things we wanted to do that had long lines.

Have fun planning your trip- I am sure you will have a great time in FL no matter where you decide to go.

Heather
dd 1/04

Andrea S
04-14-2007, 05:10 PM
We are going with a 4.5 yr old and 1 yr old in a couple of weeks. We took Andrew when he was 2. He loved it. He had more fun at the Disney Parkes than Sea world.

Andrea
mom to A 8/02
& B 3/06