PDA

View Full Version : calling L.A South Bay moms RE: EI referral

maestramommy
04-16-2007, 01:43 PM
My ped gave me two numbers for an EI for speech delay. One is the Harbor Regional Center, and one is Leaps and Bounds in Torrance. I called the Harbor Regional Center and filled out a form. Their counselor is supposed to call me within a week to schedule an eval. But I think I heard Leaps and Bounds mentioned here before. Has anyone used either of their services and have a preference? I asked the nurse if I was supposed to call both numbers and she said I could call either one.

julieakc
04-17-2007, 02:16 AM
I think the nurse isn't fully informed:

Harbor Regional Center is the State Agency (there's something like 22 regional centers in CA that service specific areas) that pays for and coordinates therapy services for people with disabilities (including the EI unit which includes kids with delays).

Leaps & Bounds is the center that would actually provide the therapy (Regional Center doesn't "do" the therapy). You could probably go to Leaps & Bounds on your own and pay for it privately or through your insurance, but if you want Regional Center to pay for it, their service coordinator needs to come out and do the evaluation to determine if your DC is eligible (probably since your ped suggested you call).

I know some people who are serviced by Harbor Regional Center so I can ask about Leaps & Bounds.

Let me know if you have any other questions about navigating the system. I'm not in Harbor Regional Center, but in a neighboring one so I know (more or less) how things work.

maestramommy
04-17-2007, 02:46 PM
Thanks Julie! Someone Pmed me saying something to the same affect. It would've helped if the nurse told me that before I called both places. However, Leaps and Bounds hasn't called me back, so it's possible they're waiting for me to say I qualify for services. What I need to do now is find a good speech therapist in my area that is contracted by Harbor Regional Center. Not going to be easy since I don't know anyone else in this area with similar issues.

Dcclerk
04-17-2007, 06:39 PM
It could be different, but generally it is not you who finds the therapist. Rather, HRC has contracts with specific providers that can provide the service, and they refer you to one of them. Sometimes a RC doesn't have a program that already does what you need them to do, but they are the ones that work with you to determine who COULD do it and set up the services. All that to say, I am sure it is fine to ask around and find out who the various providers are, but just because some therapist contracts with HRC does not mean that s/he will or could in your situation. I think the system will make much more sense when you have an appointment with HRC and find out from them how it works.

maestramommy
04-17-2007, 06:42 PM
Good to know, thanks! That may make it easier for me, since I haven't a clue as to who to look for.

juliasmom05
04-18-2007, 06:59 AM
Melinda,

Don't worry. Like pp said, it's not you who needs to find a therapist. We live in different states, but I imagine the process is very similar. After the referral, we met with a program coordinator at our home. At that meeting, we discussed our concerns and he told us about the program, what it entailed, our rights,etc. He then set up the eval. Although we were only concerned about speech, 2 therapists did the eval. In our case, it was a ST and OT. The eval covered all aspects of development, not just speech. Once we found out DD qualified, we had another meeting with the program coordinator to design our plan of action (specific concerns, 6 month goals, etc). Then he assigned a ST. It's not only a case of who is contracted by EI, but more importantly who is available at the time. Once you get a therapsist, you can always get a different one if you are not happy with the first one.

HTH

Marci