PDA

View Full Version : what's your favorite quote?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
04-17-2007, 01:39 AM
We're repainting dc's bedroom and will be putting quotes on the walls. I'm asking family for their favorites but I was wondering if anyone else had any. They can be humerous,wise,caring,etc. I just really could use some good ones. I only have so much wall space and the quotes will only form a border in the room.

julieakc
04-17-2007, 01:57 AM
My two favorite quotes:

1) "For in the end we will conserve only want we love, We will love only what we understand, we will understand only what we are taught."

- Baba Diom (Sengalese conservationist)

2) "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed it's the only thing that ever has."

- Margaret Mead

shilo
04-17-2007, 02:27 AM
i've always loved this intro to william blake's "auguries of innocence" - i thought about using it for sam's nursery at one point, but forgot about it... maybe when we move.

to see a world in a grain of sand
and a heaven in a wild flower,
hold infinity in the palm of your hand
and eternity in an hour.

lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

klwa
04-17-2007, 05:31 AM
*chuckles* Well, I remember this one from high school, but have no clue who to attribute it to. "If life were meant to be simple, we would all be worms." That was my motto once upon a time.
-Kris

bchafin
04-17-2007, 05:46 AM
I am a Disney nut. I like these. "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." This is the one that I have in my DS room,"If you can dream it, you can do it." I stopped there, but the quote goes on,"Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

Barb

CiderLogan
04-17-2007, 08:26 AM
I love this one:

Before you were conceived I wanted you
Before you were born I loved you
Before you were here an hour I would die for you
This is the miracle of love.

I think the author is Maureen Hawkins, and I may have messed up the exact wording a bit, sorry. I always thought it would be a nice one in a child's room.

Jenny
Julia, 8/03
Clara, 5/06

kep
04-17-2007, 08:44 AM
>I love this one:
>
>Before you were conceived I wanted you
>Before you were born I loved you
>Before you were here an hour I would die for you
>This is the miracle of love.

I believe it says, "This is the miracle of life."
I love it, too! :)

Kelli

Proud Mommy to Lukey (2003). Weaned after 3 years of happy nursing!
And Mommy to our newest baby, Joseph, born 3 days after Christmas.

ljackson
04-17-2007, 08:51 AM
I really like the serenity prayer:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.

As I am not religious, I usually think of it without the 'God' at the start.

Bethann31
04-17-2007, 08:52 AM
Really, one of my favorite quotes of all time is Pogo's "We have met the enemy... and he is us" It just seems to fit so many situations.

Beth
mom to:

Josh 3/90
Mollie 4/92
Jeffrey 12/94
Katherine 6/03

ohmommymommy
04-17-2007, 08:59 AM
Be not simply good - be good for something. HDT

MarisaSF
04-17-2007, 09:36 AM
May I ask how you are putting the quotes on the walls? Are you going to freehand it? Or use stencils of some sort? I have been planning to do something similar, but am stuck on the method.

erosenst
04-17-2007, 09:37 AM
"There are two things we can give our children. One is roots; the other is wings."

Not sure it's perfect for a nursery, but I still like it :).

boolady
04-17-2007, 10:00 AM
Not really child-appropriate, but my all-time favorite is by Emerson:

The great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude.

Other than that, the first things that come to my mind are a number of quotes from To Kill a Mockingbird.

Emmas Mom
04-17-2007, 10:14 AM
Doesn't it go: "I love you to the moon and back". :)

We haven't read that book in awhile but I so love that one. Now I'm going to have to go find it so we can read it tonight.

ETA: I also think All I Ever Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten has some great quotes too.

SnuggleBuggles
04-17-2007, 10:18 AM
I was watching some home show the other day and they did the "Love is patient, love is kind..." verse *in French* as a border. I loved how it sounded it french and it is a great passage.

Beth

boolady
04-17-2007, 10:35 AM
"I love you right up to the moon and back."

I was thinking of that one right after I posted the first time :)

infomama
04-17-2007, 12:04 PM
I wanted to share this website as it does have some really good quotes for all types of rooms. They make "decals" that can be applied to walls/millors (really whatever) out of the qoute in what ever color/font/size you choose.
Check it out
www.wisedecor.com

trentsmom
04-17-2007, 02:21 PM
That website is so cool! I'm redoing the powder room right now. I'll have to see if any of the quotes would work in there.

fortato
04-17-2007, 03:20 PM
Marisa- Have you looked at www.wallwords.com?

I think they are all rub on transfers...but I'm not sure...

fortato
04-17-2007, 03:22 PM
There are two I like

1. A mother works from Son up to Son down...

and

2. I love you more today than yesterday, less than tomorrow.

(I wanted that on the inside of my wedding band, but it's too long)

Marisa6826
04-17-2007, 05:31 PM
I know it's silly that it's from a cartoon, but I love the words to this song:

paper flowers bloom
on the walls of my room
when I sing my song

I can drive away the gloom
and bring the sun into the room
when i sing my song

and when it's dark and there's no light
in my lonely room at night
I just sing and soon it seems

there's moonbeams spilling through
my window when to you
I sing my song

-m

Ceepa
04-17-2007, 06:39 PM
Great Googily Moogily (sp?) ;)

Marisa6826
04-17-2007, 06:47 PM
You got it! :P

-m

MarisaSF
04-17-2007, 06:51 PM
Thank you, Kristen! I'm bookmarking that and the other company mentioned in this thread.

DDowning
04-17-2007, 07:23 PM
Our master planned community used that quote when they first started selling homes here :)

DDowning
04-17-2007, 07:51 PM
For my DD's room, I used a portion of the text that came from the book "If Kisses Were Colors" by Janet Lawler. http://www.amazon.com/Kisses-Were-Colors-Janet-Lawler/dp/0803726171/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-0123690-2943274?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176856565&sr=8-1

I love daisies so the part of the text that I used pertained to flowers:

"If kisses were flowers, you'd have huge bouquets
of roses and daisies picked fresh every day."

I had a muralist come in and do the quote in a stylistic border around her room using a phrase on each of the four walls. I've since added a blue sky on the ceiling and she just got her bed set up this past weekend. Here's a copy of one picture to give an idea of border:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a189/momtocnc/04-07001.jpg

DrSally
04-17-2007, 09:09 PM
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return" Moulin Rouge

VClute
04-18-2007, 03:50 AM
"The most wasted day is that on which we have not laughed." - Sebastian Chamfort

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05
...and let the shopping begin!

A GIRL (!!) Due 3/30/07

bisous
04-19-2007, 01:25 AM
I LOVE that Emerson quote. One of my all time faves.

Here's another Emerson quote that I love:

"Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not."

I also love this quote by Shakespeare even though I know that it is slightly trite:

"This above all to thine own self be true and it must follow as the night the day thou canst not then be falst to any man."

(I apologize that I do not know how to correctly punctuate the quote above! It is copied into a tiny notebook that I carry with me always. :)

While this might not be a great quote for a children's room, I happen to love this quote from Joe Versus the Volcano:

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and that they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

I just love the idea of being awake in this life, you know?

g-mama
04-19-2007, 07:58 AM
Deidre - I just had to comment that your dd's room is just beautiful! So sweet.

~Kristen

Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
Marco 12-05