PDA

View Full Version : 20 month DS refusing sippy cups wants to drink from a regular cup!

hillview
04-18-2007, 08:15 AM
Day of many posts from me ... title just about says it. He is having a fit when we put a lid on a sippy cup. He can drink so-so with the cup without a lid but often spills it or throws it. Is this a phase? We have a nuby straw cup, sippy cups and take and toss cups. Only when it is milk at night or AM does he seem happy with the lids.
Help?
/hillary

table4three
04-18-2007, 08:43 AM
DS did this from about 20-23 months. He would intermittently refuse the sippy and demand the regular cup. Occasionally, we let him use the regular cup, but for the most part we need to stick with the sippy beacuse he loves to pour liquids from cup to cup/bowl/floor/etc. Now he's back to not minding the sippy. I give him a chance with the regular cup once a day or so to play/practice.

http://b3.lilypie.com/n20Cm5/.png[/img][/url]

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev230pp___.png[/img][/url]

brittone2
04-18-2007, 08:49 AM
Is there are reason you would be opposed to a non sippy cup? DS was drinking on his own by 12 months from an unlidded glass. We started w/ a double shot glass, and then moved to a small jelly jar by the time he was just about 12 months.

By 15ish months he could drink from a sports bottle or Klean Kanteen w/ the sports top.

I think it is very normal that he wants to do it like you are doing it, kwim?

hudsonam
04-18-2007, 08:51 AM
My DS gets stubborn like that about various things, and I find that if I don't give in, a little while later he'll do it my way. Like when he wants juice and he gets water. He throws a fit, but eventually forgets about it and drinks the water. You may already be doing this with the sippy situation, but FWIW. :) If it's a situation where you don't want him spilling, just tell him it's the sippy or nothing. HTH a little! (My DS is about 28 months, and I think this stubborness started around 18 months).

juliasmom05
04-18-2007, 09:06 AM
DD's like this as well. Wants to have the lid "off". Depending on the situation, I usually let her have it without the lid. Yeah, sometimes it's a mess, but I guess my feeling is, she has to learn sometime. It sounds like he just wants to do everything like you guys do :-).

Marci

brittone2
04-18-2007, 09:10 AM
and if you are okay with your kid using an unlidded cup but they don't have much experience w/ it yet, summertime is a great time to learn since they can do it outside.

We really had almost no spills, and if you stick to just water, it really isn't that messy even if they spill.

elliput
04-18-2007, 09:36 AM
I know this is a hassle, but give him an unlidded cup with just an ounce or two in it and refill as needed. Your DS will gain the experience of using the unlidded cup and you won't have as much mess to clean up when a spill does happen.