PDA

View Full Version : Inspiration for Fitness and Vacations

StantonHyde
04-18-2007, 12:49 PM
I am on such a high. I just got back from a 7 day backpacking trip that was AWESOME. I did not see DH or DCs for almost 9 days. And I feel great. I just wanted to share my story with moms who despair of ever getting in shape or who are reluctant to leave their families.

1. Getting in shape. I was a good 20 pounds overweight last fall--DD #2 was done BFing and I was ready to lose weight but then my mom died and losing weight was the last thing I could handle. I was exercising sporadically. I signed up for the backpacking trip in October, so I knew I had a deadline. By January, I was up against a wall. I could run 2 miles 3 days a week. I needed to run 4 miles, 6 days a week. I set out a plan and started increasing my mileage. I had setbacks from illness, but by the end, I was running 3.5 miles 6 days a week. I ended up about 10 pounds overweight. I exercised after work (yep,left the kids in daycare an extra 40 mins) and I bought a double stroller for my days off. I came back from the trip weighing the same but my pants are falling off me!!! I am so psyched to keep pushing myself. (20 year college reunion in June!)

2. Leaving the kids. I work 3 days a week and have kids in daycare for 4. DH does about 20% of the child care time/duties due to his work schedule. I LOVE my kids. I NEEDED a break! I am so relaxed now, so at peace, so much more patient, so fulfilled for ME. My ILs flew up to help out for the whole week (actually FIL has Parkinsons so he is half a kid!) I put the kids in daycare 5 days a week. My SIL even flew in to help!!! DH had 1:1 staffing for every needy person there. The kids were clingy with him in the evening, but otherwise ok. DS (4.5 yrs) had only one bad day of missing me. Everyone is fine and nobody is scarred for life!!! DH and I started 2 long weekends a year getaways when DS was one. Obviously, had to take a break for a while (18 mos) once DD was born. Then we went for 5 days--so I started small and worked up.

So go for it! Set a goal-- a race or something, make a plan and do your best. It will be the best present you have ever given yourself.

trumansmom
04-18-2007, 01:31 PM
Go you!! That sounds wonderful!

I'm planning on doing a 150 mile MS bike ride in August. I've been telling everyone I know so I have a little external accountability. :) It's been a huge motivator to actually make myself get out and ride whenever I can. DH watches the kids and I just go and spend some time in my head for a little while. It's wonderful!

Congratulations!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

Lynnie
04-18-2007, 03:30 PM
I did that ride a few years back (pre kid, so I guess more than a few) and it was wonderful !! You'll have a great time.

Now, I need to find out about this backpacking trip - sounds awesome !!

daniele_ut
04-18-2007, 04:02 PM
That sounds awesome Rebecca!! I'd love to hear more about this backpacking trip. It sounds like something I might like to do some day.

Great job!

StantonHyde
04-18-2007, 08:16 PM
I have done all my big backpacking trips through the Sierra Club--I used to lead weekend trips for my local chapter. www.sierraclub.org (look for the right hand link "get outdoors" and it will let you search for trips) Costs run from $3-900 depending on length of the trip, location, etc.

The deal is you pay your money and then you just show up with your own personal gear. They do all the food (plan, prep, variety, weight, etc), get all the permits, determine the route(s) and camp sites. So basically, all the logistics. You end up carrying about 25 lbs of food/etc in the beginning, so you have to keep your pack/gear weight at about 25-30. It is so awesome for me, who is the total family social planner, to just show up and have somebody else do all the work.

Not to mention, I get 10 other people to go with me! The people on these trips are really interesting. I only do moderate or leisurely trips--I tried a strenuous one once and thought I would keel over--and that was preK :-) I have had 2 bad leaders but the rest have been awesome and you can find out from others about the national leaders.

The key is, you need to go on the website October 20 and figure out what trip you want to do. If you have questions, call the national office and get the leader's phone number. If you snooze, you lose! Although, I was just looking at fall trips (DH would shoot me! But I can look!) and there were lots of open trips. They do backpack, bike, kayak, raft, base camp/car camp, and family trips.

My favorite place is the desert in Utah/Arizona. Daniele--this was Grand Gulch. A good, short trip is Fish/Owl Creek or you can do a three day loop in just the upper part of Grand Gulch.

I would recommend these trips to anybody--experienced or not. The trip descriptions note if they allow beginner backpackers. If you do a leisurely trip to start, you will be ok--that's what I did. Now I'm addicted :-) I can't wait to go car camping with the family this summer--gotta brain wash them young ;-)

Lovingliv
04-19-2007, 11:19 AM
Good for you!!!

maestramommy
04-19-2007, 08:38 PM
Wow, I'm totally inspired! While I wouldn't go backpacking without Dh (can't imagine doing anything outdoorsy without my outdoorsy partner), I would love to work toward a marathon. Dh has already run 4, so I know he wouldn't mind driving a support vehicle with the kids if I wanted to do one. Okay, AFTER #2 is weaned and IF I don't get preggo again too soon.