PDA

View Full Version : Happy Earth Day - and a question about Shaklee natural cleaning products

twofunboys
04-22-2007, 12:12 PM
Does anyone use the Shaklee natural cleaning products (or did anyone read about them in the NYT today?) I thought that in honor of earth day I would switch over to natural cleaning products and wondered if anyone used these or could recommend some that they like. I live near Whole Foods/Trader Joe's but was curious if there were any online that people loved.

Thanks and happy Earth Day!

bostonsmama
04-22-2007, 02:47 PM
Yes! My family has used them for years. My favorites are Basic G and Basic H. I have been recommending them on this board for as long as I can remember. In fact, my dad just told a story yesterday of how (because I was car-sick all the time and would throw up in the car) it smelled so bad one day after they accidently left a pile of vomit in the car in the hot sun, then my mom used the germicidal Basic G with some water and cleaned up it. Two days later it smelled fresh and clean as new. My mom called it the "throw-up cleaner." Shaklee used to be a buy-into company where you bought a membership and could sell it and get it at cost, but now their products are fully available online at their website. Their products are fully biodegradeable and eco-friendly. Our family still uses Basic G and Basic H today. I highly recommend them as a nice complement and alternative to other natural cleaners we already use such as vinegar and water, baking soda, castille soap, essential oils-like lemon, washing soda, borax, etc.

I have really been inspired by this Earth Day. We're making the move to replace some light bulbs w/ compact flourescents (my dad has ALL of his bulbs replaced), and we're already super-recyclers. I also watched a Dateline special about unplugging certain small electrics (like cell phone, laptop chargers, coffee makers, etc) when they're not charging anything or in use since they still draw power in the "Off" position. Just some extra thoughts.

AmyZ
04-22-2007, 03:21 PM
OOhh -- thanks for your comments. I also just watched Oprah from Friday and I am feeling re-energized. I've tried some Method cleaners, but then I would get lazy and go back to my totally toxic "Fantastik".
I'm going to try out Basic G and H!

Amy Z

Eliana 2/04
Abigail 1/07
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

lisams
04-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Good to know! They had the owners on Oprah (they bought the company after switching over to the products because their little boy had asthma). Right now they have a special on their website, %15 off your order. Good to hear real life experience before buying!

ETA I went to their website and can't find the Basic G solution, just the wipes. Where do you get yours? Thanks!

bostonsmama
04-22-2007, 04:33 PM
That's a totally new website....weird. You can get them through tons of independent distributors, though. Check here:

http://www.shaklee.net/becky/product/00525

Here's a write-up on the two (G and H)

SHAKLEE BASIC G: An EPA-registered highly concentrated germicidal cleaner; has completely replaced chlorine bleach in my household. I use a Basic G / water solution for cleaning my bathroom, cat messes, child bed-wetting accidents (wipe down the mattress and add 1 T. straight Basic G per load of laundry) and kitchen surfaces that have been exposed to raw meat; effectively kills just about all unfavorables, including staph, HIV-1 (aids virus), and E.Coli. The disinfectant in Basic G is dimethybenzyl ammonium chloride, which reportedly has no health effects. It runs about $17 per quart, but a teeny tiny bit goes such a long way that it is very cost-effective. Even as often as I use mine, I expect to have my quart bottle for around a year. Also available in a gallon size. You can't buy this stuff in stores, as Shaklee is an MLM, but distributors are everywhere...check your telephone directory (I am not a distributor).

SHAKLEE BASIC H: Multi-purpose wonder-stuff! Very concentrated liquid can be mixed in various concentrations to make all kinds of neat cleaners. One quart will make about 64 gallons of cleaning solution, when used as directed. Currently, I use it to wash produce, wash the dog, bubble bath, glass cleaner, all purpose cleaner, laundry pre-spotter, and cleaning fine washables. Most recently, I tried it in my steam-cleaner, along with a little Basic G, and it worked wonderfully--won't ever need to use anything else. Hundreds and hundreds of other uses (the label claims 1,000), such as gum remover, wallpaper remover, car/boat wash, soil conditioner, insect repellent, spray for rose bushes, and an invisible glove when working in the garden or on cars, etc. Basic H is organic, non-toxic, biodegradable (breaks down within a few hours), non-irritating, non-magnetic, non-volatile, non-polluting, is not a soap or detergent. The bottle says it contains linear alcohol alkoxylates. About $9 per quart, but you only use drops to a teaspoon at a time, so it lasts a long, long time. Available also in 1, 5, and 30 gallon sizes. Check your telephone directory for a Shaklee distributor near you.
from http://www.livrite.com/prod-house.htm

Lovingliv
04-22-2007, 05:43 PM
Larissa, what about chicken..raw chicken on your counter. Would u trust this to kill it? I am hoping your answer is yes!!! I would love some non-yucky toxic cleaner!

lisams
04-22-2007, 05:46 PM
Very cool, thank you! Funny, I've been wondering lately if there is something I can add to my laundry that kills germs other than bleach (for when the kids are sick, etc.) Looks like the Basic G solution is just what I was looking for!

Thanks again!

lisams
04-22-2007, 06:14 PM
On their website I looked at the product label for the Basic G wipes and it says on the label that it kills salmonella.

Lovingliv
04-22-2007, 09:32 PM
Thanks, lisa!

kellij
04-22-2007, 09:36 PM
Hi. I love method cleaners and after seeing the show Friday, I ordered a bunch of Mrs. Meyers cleaners. They seem to get great reviews and I love stuff that smells good.

lisams
04-22-2007, 11:32 PM
You're welcome :-) I had the same question you did!

supercalifragilous
04-24-2007, 01:06 PM
Hopefully it says it on the label, but can someone list the ingredients for the two Basic solutions (G & H)? I'd appreciate it before I contacted a distributor in my area.

CharmedOne
04-24-2007, 02:49 PM
Larissa,

Would you say Shaklee cleans better than Method? That's the only line I have tried so far. My complex is old. I haven't found natural cleaning product that works on the mold and mildew in my bathtub. I really want to get rid of the nasty Tilex, but sadly it's the old thing that really works.

TIA!
Caroline

http://b2.lilypie.com/3k5Am7/.png
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif 22 months