PDA

View Full Version : Evites - how do you feel about them ?

Lynnie
04-24-2007, 08:22 PM
Would you rather just get a simple e-mail with the invitation in the text, or an e-vite ??

(a real invitation ain't gonna happen, and its not a formal thing or anything. its the e-vite that DH thinks is tacky)

what do you think ?

scoop22
04-24-2007, 08:41 PM
i think it depends on the occasion. i like evites. i lose mail and toss things where as with an evite i can view it daily. i just don't delete them.

my mom on the other hand hates evites. i always tell her to act younger. she also keeps everything.

if you like the idea go for it!!!!
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

jamsmu
04-24-2007, 09:02 PM
I think evites are great. Or, you could photoshop something with a pic and send it as an embedded image over e-mail.

pb&j
04-24-2007, 09:08 PM
I love evites. I love getting reminders about the event, and being able to see the guest list. :) Evites rock!!

-Ry,
mom to Max the one year old
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

Lynnie
04-24-2007, 09:21 PM
uh, yeah, sure I could.... problem is, by the time I finished it, the party would have passed by then !! :)

(I am a computer dinosaur and haven't even gotten photoshop yet even though i have a million and three digital photos on my computer)

thanks, though. for a person who does possess basic computer skills, that's a great idea.

jgriffin
04-24-2007, 09:22 PM
We use evites a lot, at least if it involves more than 2 other couples. All our friends have evite accounts, so it's very easy for them to just log in and check on when and where the party is, much easier than sifting through emails from weeks ago. Me, I prefer evites.

Disclaimer: I live in the California Bay Area, where people use evites for *everything*. Tacky? Never heard of the word.... :)

anamika
04-24-2007, 09:27 PM
Love them. I've been using them for 3-4 yrs now and it is so much easier to arrange an event with Evite. Love all the features and you can really personalize everything. Saves hassle and paper :)
But hey, I send email thank you's so I'm not the Queen of etiquette or anything!

SnuggleBuggles
04-24-2007, 09:42 PM
I like evites b/c I can see who else is coming. :) Plus, for a host i makes things pretty easy since it does a good job recording guests. I do not think they are tacky at all.

Beth

wencit
04-24-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm curious as to what in particular about the Evite does your DH think is tacky? How is it any tackier than a simple e-mail invite (assuming he thinks those are tacky, too)?

Fairy
04-24-2007, 10:19 PM
Not a fan. I'm a formal invitation person. Doesn't have to be fancy imprinted stuff, but I'm not thrilled about 8.5 x 11 foofoo paper with laser jet text folded into thirds and put into a #10 envelope, either. I'm big into making very creative or purchasing unique, fun invites.

In the alternative, I don't mind getting an email saying, hey, we're having a thing, here's when, please let us know if you can come! Evite is probalby my least favorite options.

But that's just me!

Globetrotter
04-24-2007, 10:57 PM
I am a big fan of Evites. I live in the Bay Area and everything runs by Evites LOL I would have a hard time switching back.

I lose paper invites all the time, but Evites are always there :) It also helps me keep track of our parties since almost everyone we know does it. You can also keep track of the guest list for head counts, etc... and send emails easily. These lists can be made private so other guests can't see them.

ETA: It's also very easy and saves a bunch of time. I spent countless hours designing dd's first birthday invite and getting it printed on cardstock,etc.. but I don't think it was worth the effort.

Kris

supercalifragilous
04-24-2007, 11:59 PM
I don't know if it's just me, but I have a problem with people RSVPing, so Evites is a convenient way to remind people to do that so I can get a head count. I do both - invite and Evite - maybe that's overkill, but I find Evite to be a gentle way of reminding people - "HEY!! You comin' or not?!?! You haven't RSVP'd yet!!!" Is it just me? What IS it with people who don't RSVP one way or the other?

I also think Evite is a great way to have people Save The Date so they can plan ahead while they wait for the formal invitation.

gisele
04-25-2007, 01:34 AM
Most people do Evites here - SF Bay Area - for informal get-togethers. But I do get the occasional creative invitation in the envelope. Evites are convienent and useful, and are a step above a simple text email.

However, there is still something about the traditional paper invitation that Evite can't replace. I do get the occasional creative invitation in the envelope, and they are nicer to get. Once a year, I do creative paper invitations for my son's birthday. This year his party is at the zoo. I printed the invitation on vellum and attached it to an animal themed card. It definitely gets more noticed. And the RSVP is just as easy because they just email me. I know it's not required, but it's just something I like to do.

klwa
04-25-2007, 05:33 AM
I'd rather get the email with the invitation in the text. As silly as it sounds, it seems more personal, even if it's still a mass mailing. And I don't like EVERYONE knowing if I'll be there or not and why, which if I remember correctly, e-vites lets them do.
-Kris

Pennylane
04-25-2007, 06:52 AM
I really like them for informal parties. We use them for our Girls Night out and playdates. I love that I can see who is attending before hand!

I would not use them for much more than that though.

Ann

alexsmommy
04-25-2007, 06:53 AM
I'm fine either way. I have no problem with Evites for casual invitations. I did hear of someone who did their wedding invite that way - granted it was a casual second wedding for both parties in a forest preserve, but to me, that was an event that should have gotten a mailed invite, even if it was a casual one. Other than that, I've never thought twice about it. Most of my friends work and are in the same boat I am - I'm doing well to remember to tell people more than a day in advance and get all the stuff together. We have a centralized location for paper invites so I don't lose them. I will say, I am much better at remembering to RSVP with an evite. I don't forget to be rude, but we tend to be running in or out when the mail comes and although I stick the invite on our bulletin board above the phone, the times I'll think about rsvp-ing tend to be odd like 11pm when I am cleaning up and see the invite.
Alaina
Alex Feb '03
and #2 in early summer '07

Globetrotter
04-25-2007, 12:21 PM
Recently we got an amazing invite. It was a pirate theme party and the invite was on a crinkled scroll rolled into a coordinating bottle. It was definitely memorable. I think if the parents enjoy doing that sort of thing, go for it :) I have a couple of friends who are creative like that.
However, I can tell you that most of our friends (mostly engineers) wouldn't appreciate the effort :)

I forgot to mention that another reason I love Evites is the reduction of paper. We're trying really hard to be more conscious about that. I stopped wrapping goodie bag favors (We tend to get one bigger thing) for that reason. I don't like the idea of all those plastic goody bags floating around. okay, stepping on the soap box here!

By the way, the host can determine on an Evite whether or not replies are public.

Kris

table4three
04-25-2007, 01:03 PM
I personally like them for most things. I sometimes need the reminders they send and I'd lose the paper one! :)

http://b3.lilypie.com/n20Cm5/.png[/img][/url]

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev230pp___.png[/img][/url]

maestramommy
04-25-2007, 02:56 PM
I kinda like Evites. I haven't used them yet, but I find them easy to RSVP, and I like getting the reminder a couple of days before an event.

vonfirmath
04-25-2007, 10:27 PM
We get better replies to evites than otherwise
(Partly because you get definite Nos, not just Yeses)

DDowning
04-25-2007, 10:35 PM
Actually the sender has the option of making the invite list private so that has changed.