PDA

View Full Version : OT: Need new cell phone

heatherlynn
04-25-2007, 12:31 PM
Well, I dropped my cell in the toilet this weekend (seriously). We're only 6mos into a 24month contract and I didn't have insurance on it. So, they tell me I have to pay full retail for a new phone, which right now is at least $150. I can use an old phone and activate it, but I can't find the back of our old one since we gave it to the kids as a play phone (won't do that again!).

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas as to how I could get a new phone without paying $150? I've thought about buying a replacement battery on ebay for the old phone, but I'm just afraid it won't work and then I'd be out even more money.

Thanks!!

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
dd 11/05

klwa
04-25-2007, 12:35 PM
Try getting a whole new phone on Ebay. Just make sure it's actually compatible with your network. You can usually get them much cheaper than in the store.
-Kris

kellyotn
04-25-2007, 12:46 PM
Take the battery and the chip out of the dropped phone. Let it air out for at least a day. It might work. I dropped mine in the bath tub and it was messed up immediately after (the screen wouldn't display, buttons wouldn't press), but worked perfectly the next morning and continued to work to this day.

Naturally, if the toilet was unflushed, well, find a replacement on eBay or craigslist that will work with the network. ;) Maybe even put a "wanted" on craigslist. Lots of people probably have phones sitting around but aren't motivated enough to list them. Ask around with friends and co-workers, too.

I've also gone into a local store and ask if they have any used ones. They almost always do. (I do this frequently for my husband's employees.)

Mommy Of A Little Angel
04-25-2007, 01:12 PM
You may be able to salvage that one! I washed DHs once (should have check his pants pockets!) It came out and didn't work for a week. I took the battery out, the sim card, and then let it dry. Then, I took a can of compressed air and went to town on every nook I could get in. A hairdryer on a cool setting might work, but the compressed air has the slim nozzle that really help get in there. It dried it out and it was fine!

cstack
04-25-2007, 04:31 PM
Yeah, I washed a cell phone - and dried it in the dryer. It worked fine.

If you really need a new one, I have an old AT&T one around here somewhere, if that'll work for you, you can have it (you'll need a charger for it). Or you can use your old one and just go to the mall and buy a new shell for it (that'll provide the battery cover). Let me know if you want that AT&T phone, i think it's in my garage, so it's just taking up room here.

mommyoftwo
04-25-2007, 06:04 PM
What company are you with. We have a couple of extra sprint phones. They aren't anything special but we don't need them since we switched to t-mobile.

ShanaMama
04-25-2007, 06:16 PM
ITA with the pp who said you can salvage your phone. DH fell into the lake (don't ask!!) & totally replaced his phone, palm pilot, etc. A couple of weeks later, when all the water dried out, it started working. Just give it time & don't try powering it up too soon. That will fry it.
Just be careful about ordering from Ebay. My friend bought a phone that was listed as new, but you can't reset the internal timer. Turns out it had hours of talk time already. Not necessarily a problem for you, just saying that ppl can misrepresent phones online, & you usually don't have warranty protection.

shilo
04-25-2007, 06:28 PM
yup, try letting it dry out thouroughly first, you may get lucky. if not, try ebay. you can find older phones, used phones, refurbed phones, etc. either by provider or ones that have had the security stuff turned off on them so that they can work with any carrier. if you go used, make sure you budget for the fact that you may need to pick up a new battery for it. i've gotten both a phone (to get me to the end of a contract, just like you're describing) and a replacement battery off of ebay before, and both have been great moves compared to what the carrier stores are charging.

good luck, hth, lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

tiapam
04-25-2007, 11:06 PM
Try posting on Freecycle. I gave away my old phone that way.

-Pam

DD - Two years old!

Aunt to sweet baby boy
04-26-2007, 12:24 AM
How did you guys get so lucky as to wash your phones and they still worked? My brother once left his flip phone in his pocket and it went through the washer and came out in two pieces, needless to say it was not salvageable.

To the pp i would go to your service provider and depending on how much it would cost to cancel your contract then say that you will cancel and take your service elsewhere. If you start a new contract at another service provider you can usually get a free phone. When my brother washed his phone there were a few at the store that would have been free as long as we signed a new 2 year contract. We are with Sprint btw.

GL!

Ilana, aka Nana to my sweet nephew Avi

http://lilypie.com/pic/061128/V76Q.jpg[/img]http://b3.lilypie.com/wYA-m8/.png[/img][/url]

heatherlynn
04-26-2007, 05:26 AM
Thank you everyone for all the help! Unfortunately, I think I fried it when I tried to turn it on when it was still wet. I'll keep trying, but so far, it's still not working. Freecycle is a great idea. I didn't even think of that. Thanks again everyone!

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
dd 11/05

jacksmomtobe
04-27-2007, 10:16 AM
Just wanted to let you know that last Friday I sent my cell phone through the washing machine. I went to get a new one and they told me I was just under 2 months away from my free upgrade. Of course I couldn't go that long with 2 kids and no cell phone. Well today after taking the battery off last Friday and letting both pieces dry out I noticed that my old phone now has some juice so I'm off to return the new one and get my old one working again. So there is hope!

Good Luck!!!