PDA

View Full Version : anyone here ever given probiotics to an infant?

karolyp
04-25-2007, 02:07 PM
I've read some studies that probiotics may actually help colicky babies and was wondering if anyone here has given it to their infant.

I have a bottle of Jarrow Dophilus and would like to give some to my little guy (who is 2 weeks old) to help with his gassiness, but just don't know how or how much?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

jenjenfirenjen
04-25-2007, 02:56 PM
I've given some to DS2 to help with a yeast rash. I would take 1/2 tsp in a little bowl, wet me finger with some expressed breastmilk, dip it in the powder and let him suck it off my finger. Worked like a charm.

shilo
04-25-2007, 04:11 PM
pretty much exactly the same here. and at about the same age as your 2 week old, IIRC. once he was a few weeks older and daddy started an EBM bottle for one of the night feeds, we just put it in with that feed. my lactation consultant also just sugessed sprinkling a 1/8 -1/4 teaspoon on a moistened nipple prior to nursing. it was kinda messy, but worked. she didn't have us do this until some of our latch issues resolved, so if you're working on those, i'd stick with the finger. if he takes a binky, you could always dip the binky in a little and let him suck it from there too. just make sure it's just a little at a time so he doesn't inhale the powder.

hth, lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

Tondi G
04-25-2007, 04:55 PM
YUP 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. start slow and work your way up!

I was told by my nutritionist that Bifidus was better than acidolpholus for young infants!

We gave it to DS in a little syringe mixed with water or maybe even a little prune juice I think. He was having constipation problems at 6 weeks! We had good luck with gripe water too!

Good Luck

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

mudder17
04-25-2007, 05:08 PM
We give it to Mika and have since she was 4 weeks old. We give her a 1/4 tsp of the Jarro infant with her EBM. For my toddler, she just licks it off her hand, LOL. I'm ordering some of the Udo brand soon, though, because they have a dairy-free version and I'm trying to completely eliminate dairy in Mika. Until your little guy is ready to drink EBM, you can just make a paste with it and basically spoon it into his mouth. Or you can dissolve a little in one of those dixie cups and let him drink it out of the cup. You'd be amazed at how easily they figure out how to drink out of a cup.

Eileen

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/5.png

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/6wrn/2.png

supercalifragilous
04-25-2007, 07:59 PM
I pumped exclusively, and DD got Udo's Choice Infant probiotics from the beginning since we have such a strong history of allergies in our family. (I read a lot of studies saying it was good for that, plus it isn't harmful.) I don't remember exactly how much we gave, but we titered up little by little and she never had a bad reaction.

nfowife
04-25-2007, 10:25 PM
I give DS the bifida cultures every day since about 4 weeks old. He gets the florajen bifidoblend since like the pp said, for BF infants 99% of their intestinal bacteria is the bifida cultures so they don't need acidopholus until they are on solids or non-bm foods. Not sure if it helped with colic, DS has had many issues and I'm not sure if he had colic but I thought he did. He ended up on reflux meds as well, and has had 2 double EI's. Yeah, what the heck is right!
Anyhow the study on colid and probiotics used the l.reutari (sp?) culture, but I haven't found that one when I looked. My pharmacist said she felt the one we were on would be good as well, and I will say DS seems much less gassy/burpy since he has been on it.