PDA

View Full Version : What activities do you have your 2-4 year old children in?

gatorsmom
04-25-2007, 04:25 PM
I'm just now looking into summer activities for my almost 4 year old. He'll definitely be in a preschool playground program at his school this summer and a swim program. But there are so many things to choose from. What do you other parents plan to do? And, do you think that 2 years old is too young to put in a summer activity? Just curious on what everyone thought about this...

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005

SnuggleBuggles
04-25-2007, 04:37 PM
Last year when ds was 4 was the 1st time ds did structured summer activities. He went to a week long specialty "day" camp (just 3 hours) and went to his preschool's day camp 4 days a week for 4 weeks.

I did a Mom's Morning Out occasionally when he was 3 but that was just 1 day a week.

We did gymnastics year round from the time he was 16 months till about 2.5yo.

I kind of think that 2 is too young for much; they just don't really "need" it. But, I don't know what programs are offered. That would make a difference to me and my take on it. Like, if I had known about ds' preschool camp back then I might have put ds in it at 2y. But, I think it didn't start till the kids were 3 even though they have 18+month programs during the school year.

With out will be 5yo- This year I am actually spending our summer money on a family swimming pool membership. It would be the same cost as the summer camps. Of course, I will need a babysitter a few mornings a week so I can run errands in peace. :) We will probably do about 2 or 3 weekly camps (1/ month).

Beth

lisams
04-25-2007, 04:48 PM
DD is four and so far for the summer this is what I have planned for her:

swim lessons once a week (we go all year round, so this is nothing new)
Harkin's movie special (kids movie once a week)

I'll probably add one more scheduled activity, I was thinking a dance or gymnastic class. During the summer I like to have a few days of nothing planned, so I think 3 planned activities will fill the week nicely and give DD something to look forward to.

jamsmu
04-25-2007, 05:27 PM
Carson goes to preschool and started 2 days/week at age 24 mos. I send him to camp there for 3 days/week for 3 weeks.

This summer, he'll be at his camp (above). He's also doing one week of Science Camp which is 5 days, 9-noon. (he'll be nearly 4 then).

In addition, we belong to a gym with fantastic kids programming. Once a week he does: soccer, semi-private swim lessons, t-ball, cooking and basketball. The activities (outside of swim) change monthly. Next month we're dropping basketball, but picking up mother and child yoga in the pool. Most classes are taught without a parent. The coaches instruct. The parents either watch from afar or go do their own thing at the gym.

My 19 month old and I do a bunch of mom and child classes. He could start summer camp this summer (at 22 months) but I didn't see a need. He'll start preschool in the fall.

almostamom
04-25-2007, 06:29 PM
My DS is 2 1/2. In addition to speech and OT, he participates in a playgroup, music class (w/ a parent), and a 2 year old class (w/o a parent) once a week. He starts swimming 2X/week beginning next month. None of those are more than an hour long. Beginning in June he will start preschool 2 days/week for 3 hours/day (it's a year round preschool). At that point, we'll stop the music and 2s class. The 2s class and playgroup are the only times he really has to interact with other children. We chose a preschool that focuses on social skills and cooperative play just for that purpose.

Linda

cdlamis
04-25-2007, 06:44 PM
I have a 2 yr old and almost 5 yr old. For summer activities, we are doing:
Harkins summer movies- 1x/week

gym classes- 1x/week My 2 yr old is in a Mommy and Me class which I almost didn't sign her up for since its $$ but she has loved previous classes like this. My only experience for her age has been the mommy and me classes and its been great!

Fit kids class at my gym for the 4 yr old. Its free so I can't resist.

One full week of swim lessons for both.

Other than that I am looking forward to the summer to all the things we haven't had the time to do like museums and open gym days. Its HOT here so we have to stay inside.

Good luck deciding and have fun!

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6/02
and Bella 12/04
"http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif"

bisous
04-26-2007, 09:34 AM
My DS probably won't be in many formal activities this summer as we are still working on controlling diabetes so he needs to be with mom or dad all the time. Still, we always set up a weekly summer "schedule" to get us through the long hot days. Last summer (he was 2) it looked like this.

Monday: Down Day (we purposely hang around the house and chill)
Tuesday: Swimming with friends at local pool
Wednesday: Park Day we like to try different local parks
Thursday: Beach Day
Friday: Family Park/Picnic Day (we meet with other families in our church)
Saturday: visit family, run errands etc.
Sunday: Church

I LOVE summertime and can't wait to get in that schedule again. Of course this year new baby will be coming in July so I imagine August will be rather different, :)

Jen