PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to get started donating to a milk bank?

kep
04-25-2007, 04:37 PM
I'm seriously considering doing this, but I want to be sure I'm going through a legit organization. Anyone BTDT? Also, what do they look for with the DNA testing? Any "big brother" things to be concerned about? Thanks! :)

Kelli

Proud Mommy to Lukey (2003). Weaned after 3 years of happy nursing!
And Mommy to our newest baby, Joseph, born 3 days after Christmas.

Momof3Labs
04-25-2007, 08:51 PM
Milk banks don't do DNA testing - not sure what you mean by that. They did some bloodwork on me, similar to typical pre-pregnancy bloodwork. www.hmbana.org will give you a list of accredited milk banks; start by calling the one closest to you and see if they are accepting donations, and if you live close enough to donate to them.

ET fix link!

kep
04-26-2007, 06:06 AM
Lori, I knew I remembered someone else donating! (Just couldn't remember who it was!) This is the link that I had found:

http://www.breastfeeding.com/promotions/nmb_signup.html

When you scroll down to the blue "Donation is Easy" section, it talks about DNA testing. I really wasn't sure what to make of it. I also found a site from the National Milk Bank. However, I can't get your link to work. Maybe the site is down...?

Thanks again for the info! :)

Kelli

o_mom
04-26-2007, 07:01 AM
This is the main site for the National Milk Bank - you can get contact info there. I'm not sure what the DNA test is for. I have not seen anything from our local bank that requires this.

http://www.nationalmilkbank.org/

ETA: Try this one for the HMBANA:

http://www.hmbana.org/index.php?mode=home

Momof3Labs
04-26-2007, 07:40 AM
That link is weird; I certainly wasn't supplied with a pump, and no one came to my house to draw blood (I ended up going to my CNM to have it done, then sent the blood to the bank I donated to). I didn't consent to any DNA tests, and don't understand why they would need to do that anyways.

I do find it interesting that the bank on the page you linked to is not listed on the hmbana site (I fixed the link - sorry!); I personally would not donate there.

Tarah (tarahsolazy) is a ped who works with the Iowa milk bank, and I'm sure that she'd help you with any questions that you have. She's busy with a newborn but would respond to an e-mail, I'm sure!

tylersmama
04-26-2007, 09:54 AM
I dug around on the site a little and found this tidbit:

"Under an agreement with Prolacta Bioscience, NMB will send the collected milk to their facility for treatment and packaging."

So it appears as if the milk goes to Prolacta, which is a FOR PROFIT milk bank that accepts donated milk and then turns around and sells it for a ridiculous fee. I would definitely avoid them and try to find an HMBANA bank near you.

kep
04-26-2007, 04:31 PM
Perfect, thanks, Gaye! :) You are just so helpful.

Kelli

Jenn98
04-26-2007, 05:16 PM
nak...

this is who i donate through: http://www.hmbana.org/index.php?mode=home

tylersmama
04-26-2007, 06:14 PM
Glad I could help! :)

Bean606
04-26-2007, 07:43 PM
You should post on the Feeding Baby board. There are a couple of donors on that board who can probably help you out. I think the Delaware Milk Bank is pretty big.

writermama
04-26-2007, 10:06 PM
Delaware is not accepting new donors -- at least as of a few weeks ago.

Radosti
04-26-2007, 10:21 PM
Yep, the Delaware Milk Bank has closed its doors for renovations/revamping. Hopefully, they will reopen soon. Not sure what led to the closing.

kep
04-27-2007, 08:15 AM
Shoot! Figures, that that's the one closest to me! Lol. How does it work with getting the milk to them? Do you have to live close enough to drive?

Kelli

Momof3Labs
04-27-2007, 07:29 PM
I shipped my milk to the Indianapolis bank, but not all banks are equipped for that (Iowa currently is not, though they are working to chnage that).

Jenn98
04-27-2007, 07:45 PM
They sent me a box with a styrofoam cooler in it. I fill the box with frozen milk, add dry ice and take it the FedEx drop off and off it goes! I donate to the Bronson milk bank in Kalamazoo, MI.

kep
04-27-2007, 08:28 PM
Wonderful! Thanks, Lori & Jen. I left messages at a couple of "close" banks, and I'll see what they say. :)

Kelli