PDA

View Full Version : whole house remodel/addition... lots of questions... help?

shilo
04-25-2007, 06:25 PM
hi,

ok, so we are in escrow on our 'forever' house, but it needs _a lot_ of work. we went with the 'buy the worst house on the best block, in the best neighborhood we could afford' theory. we are going to need to do some pretty extensive remodeling to make it liveable, and an addition to make it the place we'll stay long term. not a complete gut, but a lot more than just cosmetic stuff. will involve moving some walls, re-doing electrical, plumbing, ductwork, kitchen, bathrooms, etc. we have budgeted to stay in our current place for the duration of the project, but i'd like to minimize that time as much as possible. all of the firms i've talked with have quoted a minimum of 6-9 mos in our area to get thru the drawing/design and permit part and then another 6-9 for the actual construction. i want to keep it as close to the low end of those estimates as is humanly possible.

we are meeting with our first choice architect/builder next week, and i want to have my homework done. so here are my questions so far:

1. besides my 'ideal' floorplan sketches and magazine 'tear sheets' binder of the look i'm going for, what else can/should i take to this meeting with me (we're metting at the project house)?

2. i'll be asking them this at the meeting, but what can i do/decisions can i make/scoping out materials, etc. can i be doing to keep things moving as quickly as possible? anyone have BTDT on what things i should shop for/make decisions on first in a project like this?

3. anyone have a favorite, free and easy to use, design or interior decorating website? the remodelng magazines are ridiculous - $10 stinking dollars for a magazine you might tear 2 or three picutres out of if you're lucky.

4. if you were only going to subscribe to one home/decorating/remodeling type magazine, which one would you choose? (if it helps - i'm not into modern/contemporary design at all, but nor do i like formal/elegant or country/knick-nacks everywhere design either. i'm guess i'm kind of a bungalow/cape cod/coastal casual, informal kinda person - and this is in keeping with the house and neighborhood).

5. any other BTDT advice you'd care to share?

thanks!
lori
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

Marisa6826
04-25-2007, 06:38 PM
Check out a magazine call Cottage Living. Lots of good ideas in there, and it's less than $5/issue. Blueprint Magazine also has good ideas but it's quarterly. This Old House is another fave reference.

Make yourself a list of must haves (deal breakers)/wishlist/can live without but would be nice. Some examples - how many outlets you want in each room, floor finishes, how important it is whether your have real wood doors or fake ones, etc.

A good contractor will keep a time line and let you know when he needs decisions on plumbing fixtures, tiles, paint colours, etc.

Bring with you a measuring tape, and something to take notes with. You'll never remember everything off hand. ;)

Remember that it's **always** going to cost more than you think, and it will **always** take longer than expected. Never go with the cheapest item, nor the most expensive. That applies to everything from lighting, to plumbing, to flooring, to windows/doors.

GET REFERENCES. I can't stress that enough. AND CALL THEM. Ask what they would've done differently. Ask about how timely things were during their project. Ask about how easy the builder and architect were to work with, did they respond to questions without getting defensive, how do they prefer to communicate - email, phone, notes?

Most of all, trust your gut. If you have an inkling that it's not right, don't continue on. There are more architects and builders out there than you can shake a stick at. How did you find the ones you're meeting with? Have you seen their portfolios?

Find out who will be responsible for obtaining permits. It might be you, or it might be the planner or contractor. Remember that legally, you are NOT obligated to pay the balance until you get a final inspection approval.

These are just beginning suggestions. I used to run a contractor's office, so know the drill well. Prior to that I was a project manager at a architecture firm. Let me know if I can answer any other questions, and I'll do my best.

Good luck. And don't forget to take 'before' pics! :)

-m

dules
04-25-2007, 09:08 PM
I have a new addictive website for you (as if BBB were not enough). It's home renovation/decorating crack, lol.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums

TONS of advice, pictures, info there, and the full gamut from DIY facelifts to full tear out remodels and new construction.

Enjoy!

Mary

jk3
04-25-2007, 09:34 PM
Everything will take longer and cost more than expected. If you can handle chaos, it will work out. Ask your contractor for a detailed timeline. You will have to make lots of decisions and the process moves along in a smoother fashion if there is some lead time. Also, do not rush through the design phase. Truly take the time to consider different ideas. Good luck.

Jenn
DS 6/03
& cautiously expecting in May!

ShanaMama
04-25-2007, 09:34 PM
Marissa gave you great advice, I really have nothing to add. I just wanted to congratulate you- this is pretty major (& my dream, too.) DH is a contractor, so I'll ask him for tips.
Don't forget to come back with updates.

shilo
04-25-2007, 10:35 PM
>Check out a magazine call Cottage Living.

checked the website, looks like a keeper. a little eclectic, but definitely more my speed then a lot of stuff i've seen, thanks!

>Make yourself a list of must haves (deal
>breakers)/wishlist/can live without but would be nice. Some
>examples - how many outlets you want in each room, floor
>finishes, how important it is whether your have real wood
>doors or fake ones, etc.

wow, that's a great list for me to start with - anyone else want to throw out ideas of stuff i should have on a list like this???

i'll go look it up on that gardenweb site (thank you mary!!!), but talk to me more about the 'real wood' doors. do you mean internal doors to rooms - as in solid wood vs. hollow vs. some synthetic? or do you mean cabinetry doors? i assume there are a ton of different price points in things like cabinetry? this is kinda like being a first time mom again. i know zilch about this...

my priorities are definitely to get the space first and then cosmetics second... so if i have to go with something like pergo for a few years until i can afford to go back an do hardwood, i'm ok with that (i have no idea if pergo is even any cheaper by the time you consider parts and labor, so if this is a bad example, sorry :)).

>GET REFERENCES. I can't stress that enough.... How did
>you find the ones you're meeting with? Have you seen their
>portfolios?

yep, found them from a remodel they are doing just around the corner from the new place. came home and started searching the web, and pretty much every hit (on things like local community referral boards, angieslist, etc) are raves. i contacted some of them and people from as far away as colorado wrote back to me saying if they could move them there to do their new house, they would. she flew out the kitchen designer to colorado - don't really get a better referral than that. then i talked with the owner and felt better about that call than anyone else i've spoken with (about 6 others) and came to find out that they did the remodel across the street from my parents house, which is fab-u-lous! i think the thing i like best about the builder is he's the first one who actually said "everyone else is going to tell you they can get you started within 6 mos (which they had) and i'm going to tell you to count on 8 or 9. if we can get it done sooner, great. but realistically, with a project your size it will be at least 8." i may not like the honest answer, but it's better than someone telling me what i want to hear. they also have the reputation of coming in withing about 5% of the estimates, several even said slightly under, and with a history of fewer change orders than any other firm i looked into. anything else i should be looking at???

thank you so much for all of your 'insider' knowledge!
lori

shilo
04-25-2007, 10:40 PM
may is a great month for a baby, by the way :).

anyway, talk to me more about the "do not rush through the design phase" bit. i've lived in 5 houses and 4 apartments, and have a pretty good sense of what i don't want. i *think* i have a pretty good sense of the look i'm going for, i'm just not sure i'm good at translating it to the 'contractor/designer' language.

i would hope the design phase has a bit of that 'gut feeling' to it? like you just know when you see the 3-D mock up that it will either work, or not work for your family?

can you give me some specifics or hurdles you ran into? i'm really interested in your point, b/c it's making me think maybe i'm going into this already with to strong a vision of what i want, but maybe i don't know all of my options.

thanks!
lori

shilo
04-25-2007, 10:41 PM
oh dear, i feel a new obsession coming on.

thanks, lori

shilo
04-25-2007, 10:47 PM
thanks. we're really excited. it's been a long road to get to this point. we've been looking for a long time, and the market is beyond crazy here right now. it may be a 'buyers' market everywhere else, but things are going in less than a week with 10-20 offers around here right now. when my realtor (lucky me, also my BFF) sent me the listing, i took one look at it and just _knew_ with every fiber of my being that this was _our_ house. i guess it's just one of those 'meant to be' things that the seller liked us. heh, now ask me again in a year when i'm up to my eyeballs in construction and invoices if i still feel that way!

lori

KBecks
04-26-2007, 08:53 AM
I have a book recommendation -- It's Kitchen Remodeling.. by Jan Weimer

It's incredibly thorough and talks a lot about things to watch out for during the process. I think it's an excellent resource.

Doh! Fixed link.
http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Redos-Revamps-Remodels-Replacements/dp/068808589X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-7776440-3988763?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1177595589&sr=8-1

Marisa6826
04-26-2007, 09:08 AM
Karen-

Something's up with your link.

-m

jk3
04-26-2007, 10:45 AM
Well, we knew exactly what we wanted and interviewed a few architechts with similar visions. We're generally pleased with the design but I often wonder what architects with different visions would've designed. Additionally, there are some nuances that our design is lacking. For instance, it's great to have lots of windows but there also needs to be consideration for where actual furniture is going to go. We're running into this in a few of the rooms and it's frustrating. Luckily we don't have a ton of furniture we need to use and can decorate according to the plans but it's not ideal.

Jenn
DS 6/03
& cautiously expecting in May!

lovin2shop
04-26-2007, 11:10 AM
I've never done a whole house remodel, but am in the midst of remodeling our master bath. ITA that it will inevitably take longer and cost more than the original estimate. I would allow at least a 10% overage from budget and probably more like 20-25%. This is what I was told over and over from others who've done extensive remodeling before and I'm finding it true myself as well. We're just out of the demo phase and have already had 3 change orders, mostly because I changed my mind and wanted to upgrade a few things and partially due to contractor underestimating costs. My advice is to get a list early on and be clear on what materials the contractor will order and what you need to provide of the project. Then, with that list, start shopping EARLY. There is so much more available over the web and often at cheaper prices, but there can be long lead times on the orders. That Home Site is a wonderful resource and you will likely get completely sucked in. I have probably managed to spend at least 8 hours just analyzing cabinet knobs and pulls. I can only imagine that for a whole house, the options would be almost mind boggling. If you have plenty of time, I think it is an enjoyable process, but under the gun, it can be stressful. Good luck!

shilo
04-26-2007, 06:00 PM
ok, talk to me about the "so much more available over the web" part. were you brave enough to order something sight unseen (without seeing it IRL i mean)? you just went by measurements? or do you mean you find what you want in a store and then price shop the net for that same brand/style online?

thanks!
lori

shilo
04-26-2007, 06:01 PM
haha, love the title (err, subtitle :)). i'll check borders the next time i'm over there.
thanks! lori

cstack
04-26-2007, 07:37 PM
When we bought our house, we did mostly cosmetic stuff first (paint, cleaning, etc.). The kitchen that was here consisted of a sink cabinet (metal, with an old-fashioned porcelain sink with built-in double drainboards) and a stand-alone metal cabinet (about 2 foot wide, virtually no usable space). So, of course, we did the kitchen before we moved in. Years later, I'm still pretty much living with that kitchen (some little changes and stand-alone additions) and I so wish that I had lived with the original kitchen for a while and figured out what I really wanted. We would have had more money to sink into it and I would have had a better idea of the space. Also when we added on our master bedroom suite and I had an idea of what I wanted in the master bath - we ran out of money, so we waited a couple of years for the master bath to be finished and I'm really glad I did. The actual bathroom is much different than what we originally planned, but it's much more realistic to how we live.

So, anyway, my take on the don't rush the design phase would be along the lines of think about how you really live.

lovin2shop
04-27-2007, 10:47 AM
Yes, a little bit of both. Some things were sight unseen, others I did find in stores and was able to source cheaper on the web. At many stores, I was having to look through catalogues anyway, as much was special order. As an example, I liked the look of a particular faucet and went to several stores trying to see them IRL. I never found the exact faucet, but I was able to see other examples of the brand and the finishes that they use. A brick/mortar store priced a special order on it for me, but I found it MUCH cheaper online. But you really have to do your homework if you are obsessed with getting the lowest price like I can be, because in other cases, the brick/mortar stores were lower. I thought that shipping would be a big expense on larger items, but in most cases there were free shipping offer for the web vendors. The one caution that I would give you on online ordering is to really read the return policies. Many have restocking fees on returns in the range of 15-25%. The items that I ordered online were things like faucets, light fixtures, mirrors, door knobs, etc. I was too nervous to order things like floor tile where I could not inspect the actual coloring of the lot before ordering. The stores that I used with good results were efaucets.com and homeclick.com. Have fun shopping!

roysmom
04-27-2007, 11:28 AM
We remodelled the entire house that we live in now. We had to have sheet rock put up on a few rooms, new flooring in all but three rooms, new cabinets, new lighting, new plumbing and all new appliances, new bathroom fixtures, the works. Okay here are some tips:

1. Shop online for any hardwood/laminate flooring you will be using. We got ours from a place in Georgia and paid 2/3 of what Lowe's and Home Depot charged for the EXACT same thing. That included shipping and all. We installed it ourselves and it looks great IMHO. Keep in mind, I was 5 months pregnant when laying the flooring, so you can rest assured, it is super easy if you get the tongue and groove kind.

2. When shopping for lighting or fixtures, check with Lowe's and Home Depot for closeout models or display models. We got a $250 kitchen faucet for $69 because it was a closeout and had been on display. It still came with warranty and it works perfect after 3 years.

3. NEVER do your painting yourself, unless you are a professional. We really messed up on that one. I did all of our painting and we ended up having to hire someone to come back in after the crown molding was put up. It is sort of a long story, but just go with that it is better to have someone else do it.

4. We have a scratch and dent place that we got some of our appliances from. Our oven had a small, about the size of a quarter, dent on the back...you could not even see it. We got a $150 discount because of it. If you don't have one of these, talk to Lowe's or HomeDepot about giving you a discount for purchasing everything from them. We did buy 2 appliances from them and some lighting at the same time, so they gave us a 15% discount. It really adds up.

I hope this helps. If I think of more, I will post. Just try to be patient and understand that it is going to be a hassle no matter what. I did get through it, but we didn't move in until I was 8 months pregnant!

gatorsmom
04-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Just wanted to add that you might want to look into joining Direct Buy. We saved a lot of money by ordering parts through them when we did our home remodel. It's worth looking into at least.

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005

hwin708
04-27-2007, 05:40 PM
I can't really advise well on the best home magazine, as I have a completely different style. My favorites, decorating wise, are Veranda and House Beautiful. In terms of practical advise for building and remodeling, Fine Homebuilding can't be beat, IMO. But since their articles are so specific, you would likely do better with archived copies at your library, as opposed to a subscription.
Remember to check ebay and magazine discount sites for subscriptions, as you can typically get a years subscription for some magazines for about the same price as a single issue.
Keep an eye out on deal sites for free magazine subscriptions. They have home magazines regularly, though I don't know if there are any right now. SD has a forum specifically for subscriptions, so it is easy to simply check the page every once in a while.
http://forums.slickdeals.net/forumdisplay.php?f=13&sort=lastpost&order=desc

I echo the recommendation for the GardenWeb forums, which are amazing.

For another place to go for design inspiration, there are plenty of interior design blogs out there.
http://chameleon-interiors.blogspot.com/
This is one of my favorites, but it may not suit your tastes. Along the side, she has other design blogs which you can explore. Just keep clicking around to you find someone more to your liking.

shilo
04-27-2007, 10:42 PM
thanks guys.

i'll have to pm you lisa if i run into flooring questions for your source in georgia.

i'll look into direct buy again as well, but i think the last time i checked the membership was approaching 10K around here, so probably not worth it, but i'll look.

thank you for the blogs and magazine subscription tips! i'm off to ebay next :).

lori

elephantmeg
04-28-2007, 08:16 AM
if you fill grab the "we're moving" card from the post office you can send something to lowes and get a 10% off your total purchase, and I think there is one floating around the web for home depot too... We got all our appliances on sale and then 10% off. Nice

shilo
04-28-2007, 11:55 AM
oh, great tip, thanks.
lori