PDA

View Full Version : sunning onesies and other whites?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
04-26-2007, 01:51 AM
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if you can sun out stains that have been through the dryer. I have some t-shirts,onsies,towels.
That have seen better days and I was reading that cd mama's use the sun to get out icky stains. I was wondering if it would work for my whites and how I do it. Can anyone tell me? Also-I apologize if this is in the wrong place. I wasn't sure if it should have been in diapers,layette,here, or somewhere else.
Thanks,

VClute
04-26-2007, 02:07 AM
I didn't find out about the sun thing until after I had already laundered and dried, trying commercial stain treatments. It WORKED - all the stains (BM poo) came out!

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05
...and Abigail Rose, born 4/7/07

Momof3Labs
04-26-2007, 07:36 AM
Yes, it works. Just lay them out in the sun for a day (I find it works better if they are damp when you lay them out).

kellyotn
04-26-2007, 07:58 AM
Yup. Works great. I received boxes of hand-me-downs that had BM spit up and poo stains. I soaked tons of stuff in OxyClean, hot water, in the bathtub. Dried them in the sun and they were sparkling.

Then, a couple years later, when I pulled my own stuff out of storage, it was stained too! Must be some enzyme b/c I know they went into storage looking stain-free. :) So, I repeated the bathtub to sunshine process before passing the clothing on.

KrisM
04-26-2007, 08:45 AM
Works great. I CD and sun out stains often, but certainly not every time, so they go through the dryer often before I get around to sunning. Just be sure to give it time. It'll take a day or so, not just an hour. It doesn't even have to be super sunny. Overcast will work.

Marisa6826
04-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Does it only work on whites or can it be for coloured stuff, too?

Mia got chocolate pudding on the collar of one of her HA zippers. I Zouted it, but no luck.

Do you lay a blanket out and then put the item on top of it? I don't have a clothes line.

TIA

-m

Momof3Labs
04-26-2007, 09:17 AM
Works on colored stuff, too, though I don't know about chocolate pudding (we use this route for more organic stains). I lay things over our deck railing or on our patio table; you don't need a clothes line.

KBecks
04-26-2007, 12:49 PM
Yes, and I was AMAZED that it worked. However, it hasn't worked on EVERYTHING I attempted, but it worked on several things.

KBecks
04-26-2007, 12:55 PM
Just watch out if it is windy. I have had clothes I laid out get blown across the yard.

jenjenfirenjen
04-26-2007, 01:38 PM
I wouldn't get my hopes up too much on the chocolate pudding. Luke spilled a mocha in a store and I wiped it up with a diaper but I never could get the stain out. But you never know. The sun works wonders (kinda makes you how bad it must really be for our skin though.)

cstack
04-26-2007, 05:56 PM
You can also add some lemon juice to the stains on whites. The sun is fabulous, and like the PPs, I didn't sun the stuff until after the clothes had been laundered and dried in the dryer.

Also, ITA, chocolate is virtually impossible to get out.

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
04-26-2007, 09:57 PM
Is by Basin, called Dr. Spot. It even takes out blood stains! You might want to give it a try.

Melanie
04-26-2007, 10:00 PM
I have a lot of success with sunning out stains, not everything (like general dinge doesn't work so well) but many things have been saved by the sun! It seems to work best on organic stains.