PDA

View Full Version : X-Post with Crafts: Chalk Placemat help!

KrisM
04-26-2007, 06:06 AM
Okay, I procrastinated forever and now DS's party is Friday and I'm not done with these! I have them cut out and glued. I started to sew tonight (the elastic) and broke 2 needles. I'm out. Questions:

1. What kind of needle do I need? Size, tip? I am not a big sewer and just have no clue.

2. How big of an eraser did you use? I bought cheap wash clothes so I wouldn't have to sew them, but I'm thinking they're way too big.

I'm hitting a store this morning and will put these together tonight, I hope. Still have to do food and cupcakes, too. Why, oh why did I wait so long??

I'm adding this to the lounge because I need help fast!

Thanks.

o_mom
04-26-2007, 06:53 AM
1. I was able to just use an all-purpose needle, but if you are having trouble, get a needle marked 'denim'. Ask at the store and they should be able to help you. Use a long stitch so you don't put too many holes in the fabric. If you are doing rounded corners, you may have to shorten the stitch a bit in the corners, but keep it long on the straight parts.

2. I'm not sure - it was only about 3 in square. All the ones I made have been given away, so I can't measure.

KrisM
04-26-2007, 07:36 AM
Thanks. I'm heading out as soon as DD gets up and we're ready.

I think I'll cut down the wash cloth after all. It's 8" square and seems really overkill!

And, the box of chalk I bought was awful! It was supposed to have 32 pieces of chalk. It had more like 50 pieces :). All but 3 (of 16) white pieces were broken. Only 2 colored ones were broken. Weird, but now I need more chalk too.

Is it going to be possible for me to finish these tonight? I have a handle on the food now and am not really worried about that anymore. I'm only making 4 placemats, so I hope they'll work!

KrisM
04-27-2007, 08:32 AM
My machine just didn't like the elastic. Only elastic made it bind up every time. I could do bias taoe, elastic, chalk, vinyl, bias tape without a problem though.

My first ended up okay - tension was too low and I forgot that the bias tape is different lengths on different sides, so I missed some. That one is DS's and I'll redo it tomorrow. The next still had tension a bit low. The remaining 2 look really nice. I finished at 11:30.

jenjenfirenjen
04-27-2007, 10:17 AM
Kris, these sound neat. When you get a chance, can you post more info/pics on what exactly they are. It sounds like a cool idea.

o_mom
04-27-2007, 10:25 AM
Here's the recent thread in Crafts:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=84&topic_id=2064&mode=full&page=