PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to move to the NW- any suggestions for cities to live in?

cdlamis
04-26-2007, 12:25 PM
DH and I are wanting to move and I love everything about the northwest (he wants tomove to the midwest). So far, we are having trouble finding a city that meets all out needs. We are looking for a place that has a good job market, mild winters, great schools and affordable housing. I know this place doesn't exactly exist but anything close would be nice! DH is a graphic designer but would like to open his own business someday soon. We bought into a franchise here in AZ but that deal went bad so that's why we are looking to move and get a fresh start. There is nothing holding us here anymore and DD#1 will be only starting K next yr.
Any ideas? I like Idaho and Oregon since my sis lives in Idaho. TIA!

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6/02
and Bella 12/04
"http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif"

hardysmom
04-26-2007, 01:20 PM
I lived in Eugene, OR and loved it. This was several years ago so I can't speak to housing costs relative to AZ, but it is a great town. Home of U of O. Of course, there is also Portland if you want more of a big-city feel.

Really, you find a pretty mild climate all the way up the Western side of OR-- Ashland/Medford, Euugene, Salem, Corvallis, Portland and the coast... The interior (like around Bend) over the Cascades have more of an Idaho winter with skiing and such.

I Northern California, Humbolt County is beautiful.

Stephanie

Piglet
04-26-2007, 01:27 PM
I have never lived in the NW, but have travelled there extensivley (I am in Western Canada). The state that really wowed me everytime was Oregon. It was SO beautiful and so nice. Portland was just the right size of "big" city for me (this was 10 years ago, mind you). I always said that if I decided to move to the US, I would go to Oregon... of course DH couldn't find a job in his field there, but that was the plan before DH!

ellies mom
04-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Check out Vancouver and Camas, Wa. Both are right across the river from Portland, Oregon. Personally, I really prefer living in Portland but the schools are better in Vancouver and Camas (especially Camas) and the housing is cheaper. While you don't get the neighborhoods like you do in Portland, you are close enough to work there if you want.

trumansmom
04-26-2007, 02:46 PM
Although I left Portland almost 10 years ago, it is hands down my favorite place I've ever lived. It's very clean, easy to get around, and divided into lots of wonderful little neighborhoods. I also like that it's so easy to get out of the city if you want to. Just a couple of hourse in either direction and you can be either at the coast or the mountains. *sigh* I'm getting all nostalgic just thinking about it!

I've already told Steve that when he dies I'll arrive at the funeral in a packed U-Haul headed west. :P

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04

MommyAllison
04-26-2007, 03:00 PM
I live in Washington on the eastern side of the mountains, and wouldn't say that Idaho has "mild winters" but it's all relative to what you think of as winter, I guess. :) Some parts of Idaho don't offer much for affordable housing anymore, since many people have moved up from California and purchased expensive homes - the market has changed a lot in the last few years. Oregon seems like it would probably fit the bill better for you - it is beautiful, plus it has a Naartjie store! :P

Allison
Mama to DD 11/05

jesseandgrace
04-26-2007, 03:18 PM
I say move near your sister!

shishamo
04-26-2007, 10:40 PM
I live in Eugene, OR and I absolutely love it. The public school here is really fantastic (lots of choices too including French/Spanish/Japanese Immersions, Montessori, Waldolf, etc.), housing is still affordable, winter is mild, summer is amazing. It is so beautiful here.

JustMe
04-26-2007, 11:00 PM
I live in Eugene, OR too! I thought I was the only one! The job market is not great, but if you find a job, life here is great IMHO. It is Oregon, so it rains and is cloudy most of the winter, but I love our summers. Ditto what the above poster said about the school system. It is VERY child-friendly here. I probably wouldn't have it as easy being a single mom to a young child many other places.

Robyn

kijip
04-26-2007, 11:34 PM
I second Veronica on Camas/Vancouver. Affordable housing, close the Portland job market. Portland's COL is not as affordable as expected and the other cities along the Oregon coast, while all beautiful, are economically depressed to the point that finding work can be very dicey.

North Idaho and Eastern WA are nice, with affordable housing, but the winters are cold and summers are hot. Also, the job market around Spokane is royally awful right now.

Part of it really depends on the field you will be looking for work in. For a graphic design business I don't know that any place is better to find a job or a market than in Seattle (my fair city) but the housing is the opposite of affordable to say the very least and commuting from the suburbs is traffic hell around here.

squimp
04-26-2007, 11:58 PM
I have lived nearly 10 years each in western Washington and Oregon. Since I've made the PNW my home, I am obliged to say, it's a terrible place to live, you will hate it here, do not move here :P. But in all honesty, I can see why you want to move here. People are great, it is beautiful, we love it. The western part has a milder climate, and western Oregon is warmer than western Washington.

Are you looking for a city? As for Oregon, Eugene was my first thought for you. It's a small city or a big town, and has lots to offer. Portland is a very cool city. Not sure about schools there, I would definitely listen to ellies mom on that.

I loved Seattle, but agree it's kinda out of control price wise and traffic wise. A great place to visit. Olympia or Bellingham seem more manageable, in talking to my old Seattle colleagues lots of folks want to move to those towns.

Have you tried to find your spot? This could help you decide on some target cities, or at least it's fun to play.
http://www.findyourspot.com/Default.asp

cdlamis
05-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Thanks SO much for all the replies. Alomost made my search a little harder :) since all the suggestion were wonderful. Everytime I look into a new city, I think "this one's perfect!". Hopefully someday...

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6/02
and Bella 12/04

cdlamis
05-01-2007, 04:02 PM
>Are you looking for a city? As for Oregon, Eugene was my
>first thought for you. It's a small city or a big town, and
>has lots to offer. Portland is a very cool city. Not sure
>about schools there, I would definitely listen to ellies mom
>on that.
>
>Have you tried to find your spot? This could help you decide
>on some target cities, or at least it's fun to play.
>http://www.findyourspot.com/Default.asp

Too funny! I took the quiz and my number #1 result was Eugene! It does look wonderful. I am still trying to convince DH to take a road trip this summer and check some of these places out in person.

Daniella
Mom to Julia 6/02
and Bella 12/04