PDA

View Full Version : 3YO birthday party - need menu help

lil_acorn
04-26-2007, 02:26 PM
I am planning a birthday party for my 3yo at a local farm. They don't provide food and you can bring your own or get delivery adn they will provide some fridge space to keep things cold

Any ideas for a good kid and adult friendly menu,preferably cold items? I thought it would be nice if I actually cooked real food, but in a pinch the back up plan is subway or pizza!

miki
04-26-2007, 02:35 PM
One of DD's friends did this. Initially they were going to do pizza but the party started early enough in the morning that the nearby pizza places wouldn't have been open in time to make the pizza and get it delivered. Instead, they ordered a giant chicken nugget platter and raw vegetable platter from Chik-fil-a. And of course cake after lunch. It was plenty of food. And the finger food was actually a good choice because the kids would wander around amongst the animals and come back for another helping.

supercalifragilous
04-26-2007, 02:46 PM
Do you have one of those portable grillers, kinda like a Weber Smokey Joe or something like that? I don't know how many guests you're having, but you could cook hot dogs & hamburgers for the kids and just have potato salad, cole slaw, and toppings premade.

You could also do a picnic at the farm with sandwiches precut with animal cookie cutters for the kids. You could add chips & salsa to the mix in addition to macaroni salad or some other type of pasta salad, plus fruit salad is always a hit.

Will the farm allow you to bring in juice boxes and water bottles? Some of the farmrs around here are restrictive in what kind of trash-producing food they will allow so they prefer you to bring juice & cups, but that can be a pain depending on how many guests you have since the juice dispensers are heavy, can spill, etc.

Or you if you want to go the cold sandwich route, you could have a make-it-yourself bar with a coldcuts party tray from Costco. They also have wraps.

supercalifragilous
04-26-2007, 03:32 PM
That's a good idea - we just went to a b-day party where they had a Mexican platter (from a local restaurant) for the adults and a KFC popcorn chicken bucket for the kids, plus a veggie tray. It worked out really well.

elephantmeg
04-26-2007, 04:28 PM
the sandwich platter idea had me thinking of a local sub place (now out of buisness boo hiss) that made a farmyard sub-egg salad and bacon on country white sub rolls and lettuce and tomato. YUMMY. Just thought I would throw it in. This last taste of home issue had the cutest farm cake and cupcakes that seemed pretty easy. I think I would do picnic fair and lemmonade and water to drink and watermelon, pasta salad etc.