PDA

View Full Version : Need thank-you gift idea for firestation

supercalifragilous
04-26-2007, 03:23 PM
DD recently went to a local community event at our local firestation. They put on quite a spread, providing TONS food for the kids (and parents!) and spent a lot of time & energy helping the kids understand what they do and having fun shooting the hose, performing simulations, etc. I felt they REALLY put themselves out there.

I realize they like to do this for the kids but am curious - they provided a LOT of food and resources. Does that come out of a community outreach fund or something? How do they pay for all that?

I get regular solicitation calls from the local "Friends of the Firefighter" chapter but they are consistently rude and bossy so most of the time I end up hanging up on the guy. I'd rather give a personal thank-you gift to the station. Any ideas?

roysmom
04-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Could you cook them something yourself? We had lightening strike our house two years ago and it hit the gas line. Nothing blew-up, but the gas main did catch on fire. Our volunteer department came out and took care of the problem. I ended up making a donation and cooking 2 homeade chocolate pies. I have a very easy, fail-proof recipe if you need one. You can also make a coconut pie from the same basic recipe. Makes a great gift, as most people love food.

almostamom
04-26-2007, 04:05 PM
I was going to suggest food as well. My best friend's husband was a firefighter. I know that at the start of each shift they each put in a certain amount of money to buy the groceries for that shift and then a few of the people on shift cook each day. Dessert or a nice meal would be a nice treat for them and a break from having to cook.

Linda

SnuggleBuggles
04-26-2007, 04:18 PM
By that token, what about a gc for something like a restaurant delivery service or gift card to a place like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's (or any grocery store- just thought those might mix it up from their ordinary routine).

My 1st inclination is a donation but I wouldn't know who to pay.

Beth

schums
04-26-2007, 04:28 PM
When my grandmother had a stroke and needed EMS (basically saved her life), my mom got take out from a wonderful (but not super $$$) for the crew (firemen and EMTs) the next evening they were working. They loved it. Our fire department is relatively small, so it didn't cost toooo much. They loved that she delivered, since they can't go get food without taking the ambulance or fire truck (in case they get a call).

If you don't want to spend that much money, I'd say make cookies or take a veggie tray for them.

HTH,
Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

scoop22
04-26-2007, 05:12 PM
this is a really nice thought. dh volunteers for the firestation. he is out of town or i would ask him. he spends alot of time training with them. you can never go wrong with food. a donation would be appreciated as well. you can always support their local functions. i know our station puts on pancake breakfasts or soup and salads. we don't miss one of them. we have to go to all the local ones as well. i;m not sure what your community does but it's worth looking into. again.. you are very kind!!!
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

rlu
04-26-2007, 05:59 PM
We saw two firetrucks today (one when we arrived and one when we were leaving) at Albertsons. We see them there often since there is a huge parking lot there. Our local Whole Foods parking lot is crowded and the one for our TJs is a joke - I do not recall seeing a firetruck ever at either so you might take into consideration the size of the lots since they use their vehicles for grocery shopping. And based on PPs note that the fireman pay for their own groceries(!!!) a gc would be cool and practical.

Maybe include a little picture your DC drew as a personal touch.

egfmba
04-26-2007, 06:48 PM
Firefighters like food. Especially sweets, but any food is great.

GCs to grocery stores or restaurants near the firestation are always appreciated. Bringing food to the station is better because then the firefighters don't have to cook.

Advice: tell them you're bringing dinner. Otherwise, they may buy food for the day which, unless they're back on shift again soon, may rot before they get to use it. They usually only have one fridge per shift and buy the day's food each shift. SO, if they know you're coming on a certain date, they'll spend less $, which is the point of the thanks (right?).

Oh, and each shift is different. If the first shift is the one who put on the shin-dig for the community, you don't want to thank the third shift, KWIM?

You're such a sweetheart for wanting to do something for a civil servant! Most times they're just taken for granted. Bless you.

eva

Momof3Labs
04-26-2007, 08:08 PM
My DH is a firefighter, and this advice is spot-on. The GC idea is very nice because otherwise they have to spend their own money on groceries for the day (no, our taxes do NOT feed our firefighters) - either to a grocery store close by or to a restaurant close by (they do enjoy occasional carry out when someone else is paying for it - saves them cooking too).

Skip the donation idea; the firefighters don't see a dime of it.

supercalifragilous
04-26-2007, 11:09 PM
Thanks for all your ideas! I'd LOVE your chocolate pie recipe - if you think it is easy. I have to admit that I am a TERRIBLE cook <hangs head in shame> and they would probably be INSULTED that I cooked for them ("Dang, that woman is trying to kill us!") and they'd probably take it out and set it on fire so I am going to go with the GC idea or have it catered.

Anyone have an idea on how much $$ to get it for? They seemed to have beefed up their staffing for that event b/c it was so huge -- there were SO MANY firefighters there helping out, I can't imagine they all work the same shift but I don't want to shortchange them...

SnuggleBuggles
04-27-2007, 07:50 AM
They could just drive their own cars or even the rescue truck or something though, right? Around here if they hit those stores on a weekday morning or after 8pm they would be ok even with a big truck for parking. :)

Beth

roysmom
04-27-2007, 10:08 AM
This sounds harder than it is. I promise it is really easy. I make it all the time with my 2 yr old. He loves to help!

Chocolate Pie Recipe

2 tablespoons flour, heaping
1/4 cup cocoa
1 cup sugar
3 egg yolks, save whites for meringue
1 (10 ounce) can evaporated milk
1 cup whole milk
1/4 cup margarine or butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
ready made pie crust, the frozen kind, use deep dish
5 tbsp. sugar

Brown the pie crust.
Mix flour, cocoa, & sugar. Add egg yolkes. Add milks a little at a time until you have the dry ingredients and eggs mixed well.
Add vanilla and butter.
Cook over medium heat until thick stirring constantly. THe way I do this is to let mixture start boiling, then reduce heat to medium. You MUST, MUST, MUST stir constantly. This will keep it from scorching. Pour into baked pie shell.

For meringue, beat egg whites until fluffy. Slowly add the 5 tbsp. sugar and continue beating. The best way to do this is put the bowl and the beaters in the freezer while you are cooking the "pudding mix." The colder everything is, the better your egg whites will fluff.

Top pie with meringue and brown.

egfmba
04-27-2007, 11:19 AM
They usually contribute to the food fund based on how many firefighters are on shift. The more firefighters, the cheaper it is because the basics still have to be bought (1 doz. eggs will feed 4-5 men, but if the shift has 3, then they still have to buy a dozen, KWIM?).

So, you may want to figure out how many firefighters are on each shift and then buy each shift a card (since you said there were several there). Figure about $5 a guy (more if you can afford it or are feeling particularly Trump-ish) and give it to each shift with a pie. You may have to go back several days in a row (since the shifts work different days) but the effort will be appreciated.

HTH,
eva

Momof3Labs
04-27-2007, 07:31 PM
No, they can't just drive whatever they want (and absolutely can't take their personal cars) since they need to be able to run (in the proper vehicle) if a call comes in while they are shopping!

Momof3Labs
04-27-2007, 07:32 PM
My DH spends about $8-10 a day on food, but there are usually only 4-5 guys at the station he works. Of course, any amount will be appreciated, so just do what you can. And bring your child when you drop it off - he'll probably get a great personalized tour of the station and equipment!!

SnuggleBuggles
04-27-2007, 10:34 PM
Sorry, I was thinking that some could shop while they were not on call.

Beth

egfmba
04-28-2007, 10:51 AM
True. The average cost is much higher than $5, but I don't know OP's budget and didn't want to sound outrageous! :)

eva

Tondi G
04-28-2007, 11:18 AM
I'd think 5 to 10 dollars per firefighter would really nice and for some reason I would opt more for cookies/brownies/muffins that the guys could take and eat while they are on the go instead of say a pie or cake that has needs and plate and fork. Plus the cookies/brownies don't have to be refridgerated!

Good For you for doing something!

~Tondi