PDA

View Full Version : Big boy bed or back to the crib?

almostamom
04-26-2007, 04:02 PM
Two weeks ago we moved DS into a toddler bed. Actually it's just his crib without the sides. He did incredibly well for both naps and nighttime (went to sleep right away, stayed in bed until morning, etc.)until yesterday. You know those kiddos on the Supernanny show who get out of bed constantly? That's what my DS turned into yesterday. I'm trying to follow Supernanny's advice - return him to his bed, not saying a word, no emotion etc. and it is working (for yesterday's nap it took over an hour to get him to settle down, last night it was about an hour, and today's nap it was 50 min.) We have a gate in the doorway so he can't leave his room, but he's out of the bed before I can get to the door most of the time. On the rare instances I make it to the door, he's at the gate within a minute doing goofy things (panting like a dog, making faces, blowing air). He fell asleep so late today that we're probably going to miss his OT appointment this afternoon.

Do I just need to tough it out for a couple of days and not worry about our appts (we have quite a few each week)? Is this his way of saying he wants back in the crib? I don't think he's ready to drop the nap yet because once he falls asleep his nap lasts for about 2 hours. Any advice and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Linda

SnuggleBuggles
04-26-2007, 04:15 PM
How old is he?

Ds would play forever before sleeping even when in his crib. He probably played even longer for a few weeks when he was out of his crib. I say so long as he is eventually falling asleep (even if it winds up being on the floor) I would probably let him stay in his bed. Just budget longer for nap time for now. :) It'll get better, I bet.

Beth

almostamom
04-26-2007, 04:42 PM
He's 2 1/2. He is eventually falling asleep, but it's after multiple times crying at the gate. I'm just not a "let them cry" kind of gal either - my stress level shoots through the ceiling with it.

Thanks for the advice.

Linda

SnuggleBuggles
04-26-2007, 05:15 PM
Ah, if he is crying I may be inclined to see if he wants to go back to the crib, especially since he is only 2.5. I hope that it gets easier soon so you don't have to choose. :)

Beth

wolverine2
04-26-2007, 05:55 PM
We moved DS back to the crib after trying the big boy bed, but only 2 days after. It was clear after we switched back that it was the right thing- he sleeps so much better. I'd be inclined to put the rails back up and see how it goes. We told DS that the big boy bed was hard to sleep on and that his crib "worked better." He seemed happy with that explanation.