PDA

View Full Version : Funny customer service moment.

kijip
04-27-2007, 12:09 AM
J called a brokerage to cash out one of his dad's investment accounts and have it disbursed to the estate account for J and BIL to split. BIL was supposed to handle this particular but never did, costing the estate several thousand dollars. So J was already a tad tired when he called, since every free moment he has had has practically been consumed being the administrator for my FILs estate and sorting through piles of mail, preparing taxes, paying bills, selling the house. Note, I said estate. FIL is, as I have mentioned, dead.

The customer service representative at the brokerage, sussing out the situation said, "so you are the executioner of the estate then?" J replied, "well actually I did not kill my father. He just died and I am the estate administrator." The guy missed the joke and then, with a lot of hemming and hawing and long pauses said ok, you will need to do XY and Z and send a certified copy of the death certificate. Then after asking for the death certificate the guy asked "so can I speak with Dr. Robert Smith to verify this?". At which point J responded, "My dad, Dr. Smith is in fact very much dead, as in he is no longer alive so he can't talk to you." At which point the guy said "Oh well in that case be sure to include a copy of the death certificate." Doh. It was like he was not talking to the same person who had just told him what to do.

I have to admit I had a long laugh after Joshua got off the phone and told me what had happened.

shilo
04-27-2007, 02:21 AM
this must be one of those things that companies *don't* have in their training manuals, b/c i had a very similar thing happen to me. when my grandmother passed away several years ago, i was helping my dad out by contacting the home shopping network (she was a true devotee LOL ;)) to cancel all of her auto ship cosmetics, skin treatments, etc, etc. i had a version of J's conversation with a rep there. "can i speak with ms. esther to verify that she does indeed want to cancel her "membership"? "uh, nope, like i said, the reason i'm calling is because she's passed away" we must have gone round and round on this point at least three times before she got it. i laugh about it now, because HSN in a weird way, was almost a companion to her and therefore they get a lot of goodwill from me for that, but at the time it was a rather ridiculous and then eventually almost painful experience to have to rehash it over and over.

anyway, tell J he's not alone in that one. lori.
Sam 5/19/05 How lucky I am that you chose me.

chlobo
04-27-2007, 07:33 AM
Pretty amusing & sort of unbelievable. Maybe he hadn't had his morning coffee?

elliput
04-27-2007, 07:35 AM
So the CSR actually said "executioner"? LOL! Oops. It does sound vaguely similar to executor.

kijip
04-27-2007, 09:08 AM
>Pretty amusing & sort of unbelievable. Maybe he hadn't had
>his morning coffee?

I reckon not, LOL.

I have the say, I am still chuckling at the executioner thing.

fortato
04-29-2007, 07:56 PM
That was Amusing...

fortato
04-29-2007, 07:56 PM
That was Amusing...