PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to get a blood test to confirm I'm preg and get results same day? Help I'm dying to know TODAY!

colegiala
04-27-2007, 01:34 PM
OK, I'm only late a couple of days and I just took a preg test came back positive. I'm very excited, but want to confirm by getting a blood test. I'm still BF my 21old DD and I heard is very rare to get prego when your bf, so that's why I'm skeptical of the results. I'm in South Fla. close to the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area, are there labs that give results same day? I can't wait till Monday. As soon as I finish posting this I will do the test again. I know, I'm crazy.

Sillygirl
04-27-2007, 01:36 PM
It is by no means "rare" to get pregnant when you are breastfeeding, especially since I assume your 21 month old DD also eats a fair amount of solids. Breastfeeding is not adequate birth control. And false positive tests for the urine pregnancy tests are very, very, very rare. Take another if you want, but you are almost certainly pregnant. Congratulations!

o_mom
04-27-2007, 01:53 PM
A positive HPT is almost always accurate. I do know that it is possible to get a same day result, but your doctor's office would have to send a 'STAT' order to the lab and it is usually about 2-3 hours so I'm not sure that they would get the results back before the doctor's office closed.

I do sympathize, though. :-) I had them do a STAT test on me this time because it was the Friday before Labor Day and I wasn't about to wait three days when I needed to start progesterone ASAP. (I had a very, very faint line)

megs4413
04-27-2007, 01:54 PM
ditto....you're almost certainly pregnant! i dont know of any labs that do same day results, but maybe you could call some local labs and just ask how quick their turnaround is. i would also call your OB and get an appointment set up! and like you...i'd take another pee test! it always seems so hard to believe!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! it's fantastic news!!!

Sugar Magnolia
04-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Just want to chime in to say you can get pregnant while bfing.

I got pregnant with dd when ds was 18 months old, still nursing, and I had not had a period since I got pregnant with ds. Oh, did I mention I was on the mini pill? Yep, I was!

Congrats!

JoyNChrist
04-27-2007, 02:25 PM
Just wanted to chime in with a CONGRATULATIONS, since I'm pretty sure you're definitely pregnant!

colegiala
04-27-2007, 03:01 PM
Thank you all for the Congrats. I just took another home test and it came back + again, so I think you guys are right. I'M SO EXCITED! I'm 41 and want a second baby, so this is GREAT News.

I can't find a place to get same day results, so I'll have to wait till Monday to take a blood test. Should I tell family and friends? or do I wait. I'll have a hard time waiting, especially since we have a big family gathering tomorrow and everyone will be there. Thank you all again,
Gaby

Ceepa
04-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Congratulations.

IMO I'd hold off until you're a little further along before telling everyone.

Great news.

-Ceepa

Lovingliv
04-27-2007, 03:41 PM
oh Gaby,,,,

CONGRATS!!!!! Breastfeeding is not a real good form of birth control.

Take it from me....and my little bundle of joy that arrived 10 weeks ago. Conceived while breastfeeding DD#1!!!!!!

WOOHOO! I myself would only tell the closest people to me, until I was further along.

SnuggleBuggles
04-27-2007, 03:42 PM
A + is a +. :)

~Beth

kozachka
04-27-2007, 04:49 PM
Congratulations :).

Momof3Labs
04-27-2007, 07:36 PM
My RE was always able to get same day beta results, but the bloodwork had to be on its way to the lab by 9am to get the results by late afternoon.

Congrats!

KrisM
04-27-2007, 07:43 PM
Breastfeeding is only considered birth control if the baby is less than 6 months, exclusively breastfed, and a period has not returned. Otherwise, it's not rare at all.

Congratulations.

kellij
04-27-2007, 09:57 PM
Okay, see, that freaks me out!! :)

C99
04-27-2007, 10:09 PM
I got pregnant both times while still BFing (an 18-month-old and a 15-month-old, respectively) -- trust the HPT; they are as accurate as a blood test these days.

JenaW
05-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Breastfeeding is most definitely NOT birth control. I have nursed all of my kids (with the exception of my preemie, whom I was forced to stop breastfeeding when she was 6 months old due to lack of adequate weight gain) right up until delivery of the next. I am still not sure how we managed to conceive and deliver 4 kids in under 4 years, but take my word for it, breastfeeding is NOT a good form of birth control.

In spite of all that, congratulations and best wishes for a healthy 9 months!

Jera
Mom to Carter ~ 05.13.03
Madigan ~ 09.28.04
Natalie ~ 09.17.05 (born at 25 weeks!!)
Alexa ~ 11.03.06

mommy111
05-01-2007, 06:45 PM
Yaaaayyyyyyyyyyy! Congrats! Must be something in the water here on the board ;)

brittone2
05-01-2007, 07:41 PM
Congratulations!! A + on an HPT, as long as it was read in the window that the directions specify (meaning not beyond 10 mins, etc.) is extremely accurate :)

You can get stat bloodwork as the other posters have mentioned. However, I think for most women not undergoing IF treatment, etc. most docs are unlikely to push for STAT testing. I went through infertility treatments to conceive my son, and with an RE, it is quite common for beta hcg bloodwork to be done stat. Regular docs...not so much IMO.

I was a mama that got pg while BFing my 2 year old, and after having major infertility issues to conceive my first. In fact, I never got a warning period, just an unexpected (and very happy) BFP.

Also, not sure if you want to continue nursing, but it is very safe for most women as long as they aren't high risk. There's good info on kellymom.com if that's a concern of yours. Many OBs, etc. will often recommend weaning when it isn't necessary for the vast majority of healthy women with normal pregnancies, so that's something to consider once you get the chance to digest your exciting info :)

If you have a positive and followed the directions for when to read, I'd say you can almost definitely assume you are pregnant :)

stella
05-01-2007, 09:18 PM
I don't consider it rare- it certainly happened to me!
Congratulations!

denna
05-02-2007, 01:32 AM
That is wonderful news Gaby! I think with 2 +s its save to say CONGRATULATIONS! I personally would wait at least until the blood test results or the first u/s. Wishing you a wonderful 40wks! So exciting!

new_mommy25
05-02-2007, 02:48 AM
I also got pregnant while breastfeeding. It took about six months from when we started trying but I think that is less due to the fact that I was breastfeeding and more due to bad cycle timing on my end. I went on to nurse through my whole pregnancy and then tandem nursed for 8 months. So yes, it is possible.

Congratulations! :)

newnana
05-02-2007, 08:27 AM
I agree wholeheartedly.

To the OP: Congratulations! I only had blood test when I felt like I was pregnant but it wasn't showing on the home test. The blood test is more sensitive. I'd say you're preggo!

Michelle

denna
05-03-2007, 01:52 AM
Any update?