PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when your DH/DW/DP works loooong hours?

Mommy Of A Little Angel
04-27-2007, 03:27 PM
DH is working long hours lately. It's just that time of year for him and it should last for the next two months. This includes weekends too. So, what do you do to entertain yourself when your DH is working all the time? I have already re-decorated DD's room this past week! I have been through this before but I am looking for some new ideas to keep myself busy! Once DD is asleep for the night (around 7:30) I am stuck in the house.

Any ideas?

maestramommy
04-27-2007, 03:31 PM
I would rent videos of movies I want to see but Dh doesn't. You know, the chick flicks that most men aren't that interested in. Or I might start a new sewing project.

JustMe
04-27-2007, 04:08 PM
You could join the BBB book club and read the monthly selection (if you haven't already done so)!

Robyn

mommyoftwo
04-27-2007, 04:43 PM
My DH works 90-100 hours a week doing a surgery residency so I totally understand. Unfortunately, I have to deal with it a total of six years. It's not uncommon for him to go three or more weeks without a single day off and he only gets 2-4 days off a month. Anyway, I keep myself busy working on knitting/crocheting projects, reading, watching tv and movies, talking on the phone with friends and of course spending time on the internet. Unfortunately, that often involves shopping on the internet. :P I also try to spend time straightening up the gigantic mess the girls have made during the day although I'm often so relieved to have made it through the day that I just want to relax.

tarynsmum
04-27-2007, 07:51 PM
Pretty much what she said, although my husband is a self-employed contractor so if he's not working it means we aren't bringing in any money (so he tends to work as much as he *physically* can, meaning weekends included, from sun up to sun down).

I hang out on message boards a lot ;) Kinda makes you feel less alone, especially at night.

megs4413
04-27-2007, 08:13 PM
ditto ditto...

dh has a regular ft job and also owns two businesses on the side so he works if he's awake. back wheni had just DD, i used to obsessively clean/organize with my free time, but now with two i only have time to goof off on the internet...

gatorsmom
04-27-2007, 08:23 PM
I try to work on the kids baby books as well as other trailing photos in books. They are looming over my head like a big cloud. I'm not talking about scrap booking, either. That's all very nice, but I have 5 years worth of photos that need to go in albums. I'll be happy if I can just slap 'em in those "magnetic page" albums and get them done.

The best time to work on them is when the kids are sleeping or they would want to help, unfortunately.

Lisa
Mom to Gator July 2003
And Cha-Cha July 2005

pb&j
04-27-2007, 09:32 PM
I do laundry, make tomorrow's lunches, watch some Tivo and go to bed. I'm a WOHM, so the time after DS goes to bed is chore time, whether DH is home or not.

-Ry,
mom to Max the one year old
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

elephantmeg
04-27-2007, 09:34 PM
Netflix, scrapbook, read....

DrSally
04-28-2007, 08:29 PM
Me too, rent videos. I've seen some good foreign films! By the time 8pm comes around, I'm pooped and don't really want to do anything too active. Also, work on baby book, editing and uploading pictures, surfing Craigslist (Friday night is a great time to be the first to jump on new toy items--lol), watch cooking shows, call friends...

ETA: DH works 50 or so hours a week and goes to a full time MBA program, which is about to end soon, yeah!