PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here do wedding/event planning for a living?

mariza
04-27-2007, 03:44 PM
I am feeling like I need a career change, but I'm still not sure what I want to do when I grow up! I currently work in middle management for the Federal Gov't and though I collect a decent salary, I'm not feeling any creativity in my job and often have additional projects/ work that I do from home that are more frustrating than creativiley challenging. As a result of all this work I'm feeling like a bad mommy.
I have a BA in English and really enjoy working with people. I loved planning my wedding and have helped many a friend plan theirs. Even DH told me the other day he thought I should look into this as a career move. But I'm totally scared to do it.
We moved back up North from FL and have not been able to buy a house because I refuse to spend $350k + AND have to invest another 25k+ in major repairs. I'm not a big fan of FL, but it spoiled me to nicer neighborhoods and newer houses that people can actually afford.
I would feel very comfortable getting started in event planning here in Boston since I used to work in travel/tourism and have a good network here, but we have pretty much decided that we do not want to be here long term. How difficult do you think it would be to begin this kind of venture in a new city? (we're thinking the Carolina's)
Am I crazy to even think about giving up a Gov't job (my family will think I've absolutely lost my mind!) I don't mind hard work and long hours as long as I'm stimulated and feel like *someone* appreciates it.
What else can I do with a travel/tourism background, an English degree and 5 year management experience? I'm tired of working for someone else too! Sorry so long, I'm just feeling stuck right now :(
(lots of typos I know, squirmy babe in arms)

Mariza
Mommy to my "Thing 1" DD 1/05
and "Thing 2" DS 9/06

gatorruth
04-27-2007, 07:19 PM
I went to college and graduated as a- don't laugh- recreation major. Total waste of a college degree. Anyway, I did special event planning WAY before marriage and kids. I left it after 3 or 4 years and went to work in retail- if that gives you any clue.

In event planning, you are working when EVERYONE else is having fun. I remember going to tear down events at 1AM- crazy!!! YOu will work on weekends- again, when everyone else is off.

You were a bride- would you want to work with those crazy women (and their moms?)?

Why don't you try by doing kids bday parties first, part time, and if you LOVE it, start doing weddings and bigger events.

Good lucK!
Ruth

mariza
04-28-2007, 03:20 AM
Thanks for the insight. Now I have to decide what's crazier, 1am tear-downs or getting up at 2:30 am to be at work by 4:30. How's the money?

Mariza
and "Thing 2" DS 9/06

octmom
04-28-2007, 06:14 AM
In my first job at the university where I work, I did some events plannnig for alumni and major donor events. That part of my job was fun for a while (and definitely helped me know what I wanted and how to be organized when I planned my wedding), but I found it boring after a while. YMMV. We've got lots of people at the university whose primary responsibilty is events planning-- in the Development (fundraising) office, the alumni office, the President's office, etc. Just throwing that out there to give you an idea that you can find events planning jobs in all sorts of work environments.

I know that some of the events planners from our development office attend an annual conference put on by this group: http://www.ises.com/index.cfm

This organization specifically deals with educational advancement, but they have some materials and conferences that are events-related: http://www.case.org/

There may be some useful information on these sites to help you think through this possibility. Good luck!

Jerilyn
DS, 10/03
DD, 3/06

gatorruth
04-28-2007, 07:53 AM
Retail was better money, if you can believe it! You might make more once you are successfully working on your own... with a great reputation... but it will take time.

Good luck!
Ruth

SnuggleBuggles
04-28-2007, 09:48 AM
I was considering doing kid b-day party planning b/c I just love doing that stuff. But, then I thought about the moms that I might have to work for and it scares me a little. I figure that there is a mom version of a "bridezilla." Maybe not so much in my city b/c luckily the b-day parties we have gone to have been very low key. Then again, none of them hire b-day party planners.

One of the universities in my city offers a degree in meeting planning (conventions, smaller meetings....). I always thought that had promise, especially if you had an interesting client. Just a thought. :)

Good luck on your path to finding what you love to do. I am still not there either and I have no ideas. I guess I bought myself at least another 18 months while I finish this pregnancy and do a year at home with baby. (Not in the workforce currently.)

Beth

mariza
04-28-2007, 09:18 PM
>Retail was better money, if you can believe it! You might
>make more once you are successfully working on your own...
>with a great reputation... but it will take time.

The problem with retail is that I don't want to work for anyone else anymore :) I would love to open a little baby boutique BUT I have zero savings and wouldn't know where to start.

Mariza
and "Thing 2" DS 9/06

kijip
04-29-2007, 12:22 AM
Before you go out on your own, I would try a stint as an event planner at a college or non-profit.

The money is not great but can get better in the long term, as I understand it.

I have to do event planning as a component of my current non-profit management job and it is bar none my least favorite aspect of my work. It is not hard but it has the erratic scheduling thing and I hate depending on so many different vendors and volunteers etc.

scoop22
04-29-2007, 10:50 AM
eta: i was replying to ( gatorruth) post. i'm not sure why it posted here. oops..

dh graduated with a degree in recreation. not a total waste of a degree for him!!!! he loves what he does and is still in the field. sorry you feel this way.

believe it or not dh was an excellent help with my wedding and my sisters wedding.
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

kcandz
04-30-2007, 12:59 AM
You could start online boutique with a small business loan for inventory, but that seems hard to stand out in a crowded field. But you could run it from anywhere, not have to worry about rent other than where your inventory is stocked, no employees etc. But you don't work with people much except via computer or phone call, I imagine.

I know nothing about: starting a business, the retail field, or party planning. But your desire to work with people, have a "place" (loosely interpreting your boutique comment), plan events and have it be kid oriented made me think of a Play Cafe. There are a few here in SF Bay Area. They are what they sound like, a cafe that offers food and coffee drinks and has a play space for kids. There is also a party room and the place can be rented out. So you could have a business, work with people, and plan birthday parties. Here are examples of two in Oakland CA

http://www.playcafewebsite.com

http://www.tumbleandtea.com

The second one in particular has a blog link that goes through all they went through starting a new business. Check it out and see how it feels to you.

And if you move south there may not be a market for this type of business. It seems like this is a "too cold for the park" business.

Good luck in whatever decision you make.

mariza
04-30-2007, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the links! What a great concept and definately gave me lots to think about. I think this could definately work down south on the "too hot/ too rainy days" After living in South FL for 4 years there were definately summer days that were way to hot to not be in an air conditioned building. I used to meet a friend for lunch at Panera and it was always over-crowded and not kid friendly. I used to get lots of nasty looks from people and my DD was under 1 year, sitting quitely in her stroller. I would have loved to have a place like this nearby.
Thanks to everyone for all the ideas. I still don't know what the answer is, but I'll be looking at my local Adault Education Programs to take some classes to halp me figure things out.

Mariza
and "Thing 2" DS 9/06