PDA

View Full Version : A plastics question (re. things like Gladware)

SnuggleBuggles
04-28-2007, 09:30 AM
Once something like Gladware has been through the dishwasher is it no longer OK to use? I never microwave in those containers but they do go through heated dry cycle sometimes.

This is what the website says about what they are made of (but I don't really understand what the terms mean wrt safety):

"Do GladWare® Containers contain any plasticizers?
No. GladWare® Containers are made of 100% polypropylene (not polyvinyl chloride) and do not contain plasticizers."
http://www.glad.com/faqs/containers.php

Thanks! for any thoughts on this I have been updating things like water bottles to be reusable #5s and just trying to do everything else.

Beth

JBaxter
04-28-2007, 09:57 AM
I found this "quick chart"

http://www.checnet.org/healtheHouse/pdf/plasticchart.pdf

SnuggleBuggles
04-28-2007, 10:07 AM
Thanks Jeanne! But, now that opens up more questions. I didn't think I was supposed to wash and reuse things like #1 or #2 water bottles- I thought they were one time use items. Is that right? Use them then recycle them? or can they be reused provided they don't go into the microwave or are otherwise exposed to a lot of heat?

I felt like I knew more than I think I actually do...and I am just succeeding in confusing myself more. :)

Beth

daisymommy
04-29-2007, 10:33 AM
#1 should NOT be re-used. It's meant to break down (biodegrade) quickly.
#2 Can be reused. The Playtex sippy cups with straws are made from this type of plastic.

#5 The most sturdy of all "safe" plastic. Can be reused. Putting them in the dishwaher breaks them down more quickly, as does heating them in the microwave. BUT they won't leach cancer causing/hormone disrupting chemicals (as far as the research shows to-date...who knows what they'll say next year!). That said, I wash them by hand because they fit weird in my dishwasher, and never microwave in them. I figure they will last longer that way as well. If you wanted to put them in the dishwasher, I just wouldn't use your heat-dry setting.