PDA

View Full Version : BPA in C&E news again this week (related to plastics)

brittone2
04-29-2007, 01:37 PM
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/government/85/8516gov2.html

Not sure if that link will work for everyone or if you need a login to read it. Interesting article about the discrepancies between the 150+ government studies showing BPA to be problematic vs. all 13 done by the industry that showed no problem.

They point out that in two of the large-scale studies funded by the industry, a particular breed of rat was used that is known to be very insensitive to estrogens. Obviously a way to smooth over the data. Additionally, they point out that rats fed a high soy diet would be less likely to show changes due to the estrogenic properties of soy.

Anyway, if that link doesn't work, let me know and I'll see if I can post more specific tidbits.

Dee150
04-29-2007, 01:47 PM
The link works. Thanks!

michellep
04-29-2007, 09:20 PM
I notice Chemical & Engineering News has started adding the following disclaimer to Bette Hillman's articles:

"Views expressed on this page are those of the author and not necessarily those of ACS."

This article is based on one scientist's view of BPA, Frederick vom Saal who's made it his life goal to ban BPA. Hillman claims to want an unbiased panel to address the issue but completely ignores the EU's report on BPA.

I'm glad they're finally identifying her articles as commentary.

michellep
04-29-2007, 09:20 PM
I notice Chemical & Engineering News has started adding the following disclaimer to Bette Hillman's articles:

"Views expressed on this page are those of the author and not necessarily those of ACS."

This article is based on one scientist's view of BPA, Frederick vom Saal who's made it his life goal to ban BPA. Hillman claims to want an unbiased panel to address the issue but completely ignores the EU's report on BPA.

I'm glad they're finally identifying her articles as commentary.

jenjenfirenjen
04-29-2007, 10:41 PM
So what is the EU's report on BPA all about?

jenjenfirenjen
04-29-2007, 10:41 PM
So what is the EU's report on BPA all about?