PDA

View Full Version : any experience with stuttering?

Mommy_Again
04-29-2007, 09:02 PM
DS (3.5 years old) has been stuttering for about 6 months now. It started when XH and I initiated the divorce process, so I assumed it was stress related and he'd grow out of it. It seems to be getting worse, though - even though home life appears to have calmed down (as much as it can for a child who's world was torn apart).

I still was never worried about it and in fact never even addressed it with him - I didn't want to make him stressed or aware of it. But the other day he got so frustrated and said "Mommy, I can't talk. My words don't work." Talk about ripping my heart out...so now I am thinking of taking him to a speech pathologist...as soon as it starts to affect him, it affects me. But I don't know the first thing about stuttering: causes, cures, etc - does anyone have any first hand experience?

TIA.

Mommy_Again
04-29-2007, 09:02 PM
DS (3.5 years old) has been stuttering for about 6 months now. It started when XH and I initiated the divorce process, so I assumed it was stress related and he'd grow out of it. It seems to be getting worse, though - even though home life appears to have calmed down (as much as it can for a child who's world was torn apart).

I still was never worried about it and in fact never even addressed it with him - I didn't want to make him stressed or aware of it. But the other day he got so frustrated and said "Mommy, I can't talk. My words don't work." Talk about ripping my heart out...so now I am thinking of taking him to a speech pathologist...as soon as it starts to affect him, it affects me. But I don't know the first thing about stuttering: causes, cures, etc - does anyone have any first hand experience?

TIA.

Fairy
04-29-2007, 10:35 PM
Ashley, I'm sorry your DS is going thru this. I have no experience, but I just wanted to send you support. Hope you're able to find a good speech pathologist and that the divorce goes as amicably as possible for all.

Fairy
04-29-2007, 10:35 PM
Ashley, I'm sorry your DS is going thru this. I have no experience, but I just wanted to send you support. Hope you're able to find a good speech pathologist and that the divorce goes as amicably as possible for all.

Karenn
04-29-2007, 10:49 PM
Both of my kids stutter. The vast majority of kids who stutter as preschoolers will out grow it. I can never remember the percentages our speech therapist (who is a nationaly known expert in stuttering) quoted to me, but it's over 80%, and even higher for kids who receive therapy. Therapy helped us a ton. Well, I should say therapy helped *me* a ton, which in turn, has helped my kids. Both kids' stuttering has lessened since onset.

Here are some links that I found helpful as I was figuring out what to do when my DS started stuttering:

[http://www.stutteringhelp.org/Default.aspx?tabid=6]

[http://www.nsastutter.org/index.php]

[http://www.stutteringhelp.org/Default.aspx?tabid=38]

[http://www.stutteringhelp.org/Default.aspx?tabid=111]

You're welcome to PM me if you have more questions.

Karenn
04-29-2007, 10:49 PM
Both of my kids stutter. The vast majority of kids who stutter as preschoolers will out grow it. I can never remember the percentages our speech therapist (who is a nationaly known expert in stuttering) quoted to me, but it's over 80%, and even higher for kids who receive therapy. Therapy helped us a ton. Well, I should say therapy helped *me* a ton, which in turn, has helped my kids. Both kids' stuttering has lessened since onset.

Here are some links that I found helpful as I was figuring out what to do when my DS started stuttering:

[http://www.stutteringhelp.org/Default.aspx?tabid=6]

[http://www.nsastutter.org/index.php]

[http://www.stutteringhelp.org/Default.aspx?tabid=38]

[http://www.stutteringhelp.org/Default.aspx?tabid=111]

You're welcome to PM me if you have more questions.

g-mama
04-30-2007, 10:03 AM
Ashley,

My oldest ds began stuttering at age 3 also. It came out of nowhere and there wasn't any significant stress going on here. I worried a lot and everyone, including his preschool teacher and the school director, told me it was something he was very likely to outgrow. They told me it was very common for boys this age and that it almost always goes away. Paolo once said to me something very similar - "Mommy, my words keep getting stuck." I nearly cried then and there as it was so hard to see him struggle and when I saw that he was aware of it, it was even worse.

He did outgrow the stuttering after about 6 months. If it will make you feel better, go to a speech pathologist. I know I'd feel the same way and anecdotal stories would only help a little. I'd say not to worry but know you will anyway. My best friends' ds developed stuttering and other nervous tics when she was going through a divorce and he, too, outgrew those things when things settled down more, but it took longer in their case. Good luck!

~Kristen

Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
Marco 12-05

dylansnan
04-30-2007, 01:40 PM
A boy I was nanny for years ago started stuttering at about 3. He would get so stuck on a word that he would be all worked up trying to say it. For some reason one day when he was stuck- i asked him to whisper me the word- and it worked. So from then on, he would whisper if he started to to stutter. I don't know how long that lasted, but eventually he wasn't stuttering at all. I don't know if that will help your DS, but just thought I would mention it :-)
Hope things work out.

ShanaMama
04-30-2007, 02:31 PM
Cindy, that's very interesting, because my friend had a stuttering problem & I noticed that when he was stuck on a word or syllable he'd usually stop & change his tone. He was almost always able to get the word out clearly. We never talked about that technique in particular but I'm guessing it was something he learned in his years of ST.

Ashley, I don't have any particular advice for you but just wanted to wish you well. I've also heard that it's common for toddlers to stutter & it generally resolves. I spent the weekend with a close friend whose 3 yo has an excellent vocabulary but stutters. It seemed to me that his mind just works faster than his mouth.
It probably sounds empty, but your son is truly lucky to have such a strong woman as his mom. I remember some of your previous posts & hope things continue to go well for you & DS.

sdbc
04-30-2007, 02:53 PM
I've also read that stuttering can be genetic. Did either you or XH stutter as a kid? DD stutters a little when she is very excited (she's almost 3). DH stuttered when he was a kid--not really badly, but a little. It was also mainly when he was very excited (good or bad) about something. He never had therapy, but he doesn't stutter at all now. He realized on his own that if he could just pause and calm himself down, he could stop from stuttering. Maybe therapy would have helped him figure that out sooner, who knows? You might first try advising him to calm down and relax for a moment if he starts stuttering (or try the whispering thing, which seems like it might have a similar effect), and if that doesn't help, try a speech therapist, at least for a consultation. It's hard to say whether it's because of stress or just a normal thing that he would have done anyway, at this point.

Sue, mommy to Aurora (Rory) born 5/13/04

Mommy_Again
05-01-2007, 06:40 AM
great feedback, thank you. It is not something I am overly concerned about, I just hate to see HIM struggle. I have tried telling him to take a deep breath and relax, but I can't wait to try the whisper method.

We are doing GREAT in general. I have actually been in a wonderful relationship for a couple of months now with a man who is so incredibly kind, respectful, sensitive and thoughtful - nothing at all like XH. I am very, very happy. I appreciate all the well wishes!

KHF
05-01-2007, 08:30 AM
I stuttered when I was a kid. It didn't really start until I was in elementary school though. Mine was triggered when I was nervous. Talking in class was a nightmare for me. I was in speech therapy from the time I was in about fourth grade up through about ninth grade. I learned to control it through taking deep breaths and trying to slow my thoughts to match a speed my mouth could go. It sort of just went away completely after that. I never do it anymore.

I'm hoping that my DD doesn't have the same problems as I know it caused me a lot of stress as a child. I would ask your pediatrician about it and see if they think it's worthwhile to see a speech pathologist (and maybe even if they don't). If he's already frustrated with his speech, it may get worse.

Kirsten