PDA

View Full Version : Suburban or Odessey for 3 young kids and 2 big dogs?

csa12
04-30-2007, 01:23 PM
Just wanted to get some feedback on what works for people with both two-legged and four-legged children. I know that people find the Odessey very family friendly, but is the cargo space in the back big enough for a lab and a border collie? I also like the new suburbans but I wonder about access to the car/booster seat in the third row. I think that if I go for the bucket seats in the second row I could technically get everyone in the car and then buckle them in (think 4 year old,2 year old and newborn). Plus, have a somewhat separate space for the two dogs. I probably need to see both in person, but appreciate other people's real life feedback.

Thanks,
Cheryl

hudsonam
04-30-2007, 01:57 PM
I'm sure the van is more practical, although I can't speak from personal experience, particularly with the dog situation, but for me personally, I would go with the Suburban because I still like to feel cool and sexy sometimes when I'm driving around, and a minivan just wouldn't do that for me. ;) LOL! Not that my Saturn does.

KBecks
04-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Do the dogs travel w/you often? I just went to look at my ody and imagine 3 kiddos plus 2 big dogs in it -- it would be interesting, but they would fit, I think. I can't imagine a Suburban being that much bigger.

The 2nd row has a plus one seat, kind of a mini seat in thw middle that is removable. You might be able to get all kids in the 2nd row, then the dogs would have a lot of room in the back. The third row folds 2/3 - 1/3. You could use the smaller 1/3 for a child and give the dogs the other 2/3 but it would be a little tight. It might depend on how close the dogs are.

Do your dogs ride loose or in crates?

Go ask this at odyclub.com.

The ody has great safety features. Since I own one, I obviously prefer this vehicle.

kdeunc
04-30-2007, 02:14 PM
DH has a Surburban which we use for our two kids (and possible future kid) and two German Shepards. It works well but would be better with the bucket seats in the 2nd row (we have the bench). Our friends have the new Odessey which is great for kids but I cannot imagine putting my dogs in the cargo area. IMO I don't think that there is nearly enough room.

casey118
04-30-2007, 02:42 PM
I have wondered the exact same thing! We have a Nissan Armada which is similar in size to a surburban (slightly less cargo room with the third row). We have two large (around 100 pounds each) Golden Retrievers and two kids. I have looked into minivans for better gas mileage, and have kept the SUV for this very reason.

Here are my two cents:
The Ody might be ok, if you put the bench in the second row. I do not think your dogs would fit behind the third row, so to fit the kids and the dogs you would need all three kids on the second row. I don't know whether you could fit three car seats in the second row bench of the Ody, but maybe if one is a booster they would fit.

With the surburban, you can definitely fit three car seats across the second row, if needed. I think you could also fit your dogs behind the third row (it might be tight if you crate them in the car). Using the third row is a big pain with car seat, but would be ok if your 4-year old can buckle her/himself in. If your 4 year old needs help, I would suggest putting the other two seats in the middle and in an outboard seat, so you can fold down the other outboard seat to help in the back. My second row is a bench, but all three seats fold down individually. I don't think second row captains chairs are as helpful in an SUV as they are in a minivan, because if there is a console there (so no easy access to the back), and even with no console and it is difficult to get over the outboard seats to access the back, especially if you have car seats in the outboards.

HTH!

BillK
04-30-2007, 03:56 PM
I doubt an Ody will hold 2 dog crates big enough for "big" dogs really - and you really should have the dogs crated while in transit for safety-sake. I have a GMC Yukon XL and have plenty of room in the back without the 3rd row seat in for 2 large crates for my and my buddy's yellow labs. No way on earth 2 dog crates (or dogs) would fit in the back with the 3rd row seat installed though.

SnuggleBuggles
04-30-2007, 04:11 PM
The Suburban seems so gigantic to me. If you live anywhere where you have to parallel park I would go with the Odessey. I am sure ou would fit in there.

Beth

bubbaray
04-30-2007, 09:07 PM
I can answer this!

We have an '05 Ody (new style) with 1 large dog crate in the back (3rd row folded, with Weathertec mat over top of carpet, highly recommend that). We could easily fit 2 large crates side-by-side. These are wire, show-style crates, not the plastic airline carrier ones (though you might find those in the right size). Our lab is 80lbs and has plenty of room in his crate to stand, turn around, etc. A Border collie would actually take a smaller size. And, friends of ours have 2 large labs (larger than ours) and they fit 2 large crates s-b-s in the back of their Ody.

The problem is the 2nd row car seats. If you are in the US, you can put a child restraint in your 8th seat, but not if you are in Canada. The reason is that the 8th seat does not have a top tether. So, I would put the infant seat in the 8th seat (RFg obviously). But, in practical terms, it would be a PITA to do that on a daily basis. Plus, when the baby outgrows the infant seat, you'll have to reach over one of the other seats to strap him/her in.

Have you considered the Toyota Sienna? It has the 8seat option that has a full sized middle seat, not a jump seat, in the middle of the 2nd row. Not sure about the dog crate issue in the rear, but when we were looking, we were pretty sure 2 crates would fit in the rear of the Sienna.

HTH

Melissa

DD#1: 04/2004

DD#2: 01/2007

csa12
05-01-2007, 09:18 AM
Wow what great information! Thanks for all the input. Now this just makes my decision harder because I want to be cool and get the SUV but it looks like this may work with the more useful and practical minivan. I am definately going to take a look at both now since it sounds like both styles of car can still work.

Thanks again everyone!
Cheryl