PDA

View Full Version : Do and Don't List for the Next Prenancy

kusumat
04-30-2007, 03:17 PM
I am not sure whether other PP have this list. Well, I did something during the prenancy that I found out later on that I shouldn't. Also, there are some I should have.

We are planning to start on the baby#2 this summer. I hope to do the better job this time. There may still be some fact that I still don't know. Please share with me yours(if you have any). I really hope that the list below will stay the same(not getting longer).

Don't List
1. Stay in the front of the microwave while it is working.
2. Pump the gas.
3. Drop off or pick-up the dry clean. I heard the chemical used was very toxic.
4. Shampoo the carpet.

Do List
1. Eat more seafood(I only had it once a month and almost none after the second trisemester).
2. Exercise
3. Rest more

Thanks so much!
Kathy

SnuggleBuggles
04-30-2007, 04:21 PM
Hmmm...I have already broken the gas rule today (and many other times). I really think that living life normally is OK, just use commmon sense and crack the windows at home. :) I never did stand in front of the microwave, just in case. You could always choose a dry cleaner that doesn't use the harsh, un-environmentally friendly chemicals. There are several in my area that use a "safer" cleaner.

I have the pregnancy book from "Baby Center" and it has a great section in the back on safety of things. It breaks down lots of stuff and says, "almost always safe; sometimes safe; unknown..." You might what to check that out since it can be helpful to see just how risky something might be. Target sells it (and it is so much better than "What to Expect...") I am finding "The Pregnancy Book" by Dr. Sears lovely this time around as it doesn't play up scary stuff.

Since I was pg last that whole listeria thing has been talked up a lot more. But, I admit to not always worrying about it. I eat my deli meat out of the fridge most of the time. I am taking fish oil extract most days as I am not wild about fish. I am continuing my current exercise regime and have found that the not getting your heart rate over 140 BPM is antiquated, especially if you had already been exercising. I am lifting weights and doing cardio (when I have the energy :)).

I don't worry much about the "don'ts." I just try to focus on the "do's." I bet you will like that Baby Center book. It's pretty handy and I have referred to the safety section a few times (mainly the medicine and exercise info).

Good luck TTC this summer. :)

Beth
ds 6/02
EDD 11/2007

ETA- I looked up all those things in that book and the only one that was included in the book was the microwave thing (which they said was totally fine, btw). None of the other things were mentioned which, in my book, means they probably just aren't big deals. Or, they are such short term things that minimizing exposure on the few occasions should be fine.

C99
04-30-2007, 06:00 PM
>Don't List
>1. Stay in the front of the microwave while it is working.
>2. Pump the gas.
>3. Drop off or pick-up the dry clean. I heard the chemical
>used was very toxic.
>4. Shampoo the carpet.

Why are you not supposed to do these things?

hillview
04-30-2007, 08:37 PM
Humm about that seafood thing -- have to be careful with the mercury fish. Other then that I'd say for the don't list I stay away from #1 and the rest are either so rare or I don't worry about. For the do list I am all about #3!!
GOOD LUCK!
/hillary

pb&j
04-30-2007, 09:05 PM
>Don't List
>1. Stay in the front of the microwave while it is working.
>2. Pump the gas.
>3. Drop off or pick-up the dry clean. I heard the chemical
>used was very toxic.
>4. Shampoo the carpet.
>

I know you meant this in all seriousness, but thanks for the chuckle. :D

-Ry,
mom to Max the one year old
and my girl in heaven

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/37124.gif

Piglet
04-30-2007, 09:59 PM
Hmmm... well other than the carpet (we have hardwood), I have done everything on your don't list each and every pregnancy. I don't think that life stops when I am pregnant. I use common sense and do things in moderation (and yes, that means having the occasional sip of wine, sushi now and then and even, gasp... deli meat). I think pregnancy is hard work and if I limited my activities and food any more than I already try to do, I would go berserk.

Just my 2, very pregnant, cents...

kijip
04-30-2007, 10:15 PM
So being pregnant means my lunches must be cold, I can't fill up my car, my work clothes have to be dirty and my house has to be dirty too? I don't know that I could manage that. Honestly, without some concrete direct evidence, I am going to continue to live my life if I am lucky enough to ever get and stay pregnant again. With my son I did all that and more (except for pumping gas, a task I famously avoid, LOL.)

kusumat
05-01-2007, 03:06 AM
Thanks, I will definitely check it out.

kusumat
05-01-2007, 03:21 AM
1. http://www.mdadvice.com/library/urpreg/wbw23.htm
2. & 3 http://www.fitpregnancy.com/yournewlife/219?print=1
4. Sorry I could not locate the site. I just heard that they used toxic chemical for the commercial one.

ellies mom
05-01-2007, 08:15 AM
While I can agree that the effects of standing in front of an unshielded microwave source while pregnant has not been studied and are unlikely to be studied, I wouldn't worry about your microwave oven unless it is one of the original ones. Those things are very well grounded, especially from the front. That screen you see with all of the small holes through the window is a ground for the microwaves. I know it doesn't seem like it would work (holes and all) but because of the size of the holes and the wavelength of microwaves, they really can't get through.

ast96
05-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Quite honestly, if I didn't do any of the things in your Don't list, my household would pretty much cone to a standstill (except I can move away from the microwave). I encourage you to ask your OB about your list and try to keep everything in perspective.

I wouldn't lick the drycleaned clothes or bags, rub the gas pump on my belly, or roll around on the shampooed carpet, but really, I think these things in moderate amounts are safe for you and the unborn child.

I will say that Listeria is a huge concern and I don't think it is voiced enough. I was cavalier about deli meat this pregnancy (my third) because I actually craved it, but my OB was extremely stern about me not eating it (and she isn't terrbily conservative). When I looked it up and saw the morbidity rate for infected fetuses, I changed my mind. I don't eat it anymore.

The biggest hurdles I have had this pregnancy have included avoiding illness brought in from my DH or my DC (such as a terrible stomach virus), avoiding food poisoning, and avoiding picking up my 40+ pound newly 3 year old.

Nooknookmom
05-01-2007, 10:32 AM
I just choked on my eggs. Thanks for the giggle!

DrSally
05-02-2007, 12:14 PM
I've also read that the effects of microwaves haven't been studied and basically, not to worry about it.

TaChapm
05-02-2007, 02:32 PM
Well...I think you should take things as far as you want. With my first pregnancy we were pretty conservative althought I did do most of the things on your don't list. With 2 & 3 we were much more laid back. I think you just need to inform yourself and then do whatever makes you feel most comfortable.

Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02
Tyler 6-9-05
& Baby Jaci 8-10-06

http://b5.lilypie.com/IV-Mm6.png

http://b2.lilypie.com/sJmVm7.png

http://b1.lilypie.com/EZwnm7.png

casey0729
05-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Check your fish pills Beth, my ob's head nurse told me take them in the 3rd tri and when I checked the ingredients on most of the bottles they all contained mackerel, which is a big no no. I talked to my ob about it and she mentioned that you can find a prenatal multi with the DHA stuff in it instead. I eat fish once a week so I didn't bother changing my multi or taking the fish pills.

KC

http://b2.lilypie.com/AWLtm5.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev197prs__.png