PDA

View Full Version : how to keep the bugs away?

megs4413
04-30-2007, 07:31 PM
what can I do for PC to ward off mosquito bites? we're not outside a ton, but we like to grill out every sunday and we take DD out to play sometimes. i'm assuming i can't put bug repellent on him directly...what to do? i don't remember what we did about it with DD....

cstack
04-30-2007, 07:45 PM
Well, if you find something that will keep the mosquitoes from coming into the area completely, let me know. You might be able to use Avon's Skin So Soft on him (the original, not the insect version). Burt's Bees has a repellent that I used on DS when he was little, but I didn't find it to be the greatest (worked OK around the yard, did not do anything when we went camping.

klwa
04-30-2007, 07:46 PM
I know some people around here SWEAR by putting a used dryer sheet in their kids clothes to keep the mosquitos away without putting chemicals on them. They just slipped the dryer sheet in a pocket or in the collar of the shirt and it seems to work.

newnana
04-30-2007, 09:18 PM
1. Fan, circulate the air around the kid so that CO2 isn't building up from his breathing (that's what attracts those darn females).

2. Dryer sheet. Doesn't have to be in his clothes but near him. Tape it to the top of his chair and have the fan blow the scent around. Or the umbrella that's over him for the sun shade :)

ETA: oh, and don't any of you eat bananas for the bit before you go out. Something about that attracts skeeters too. I swear it's not an old wives tale!

Michelle

tylersmama
04-30-2007, 09:31 PM
I asked my ped about this last summer when we were heading to Montana for vacation and DS was only 4 weeks old. She said to try to keep him covered as much as possible, but if really necessary, use a repellent without deet on his arms and legs. I sprayed the repellent on my hands and rubbed it on his arms (but not hands) and legs. I only did that a couple of times when we had to be outside and the bugs were bad (as in we could see the swarms). We also bought one of the Off citronella candles and burned that whenever we were out on the deck, and it helped a ton.

Tondi G
04-30-2007, 09:38 PM
I'd get citronella candles and burn them all around where you are! There is also nothing wrong with putting the spray on his clothing but not directly on his skin.... not on his sleeves necessarily cause he might rub it in his eyes but down on his pants and such. Avon Skin so soft is a good thing too!

Good Luck

~Tondi

kellij
04-30-2007, 10:25 PM
I've read you're supposed to wear long sleeves and pants, and avoid bright colors. I found a natural repellant online last year and a soap that has a natural repellent in it too, so I try to bathe DS in that before going out. He really attracts them. If you're interested in more info on the stuff I'm talking about let me know and I'll figure out what it is.

JBaxter
05-01-2007, 06:38 AM
I use the citronella bracelets for my boys when they were small. I used to find them at bed bath and beyond but I found 3/packs at walmart this year. When Nathan was a baby I put it around his ankle over his sock but now he likes to wear them. I have gotten them in glow in the dark and colors. I like them because I dont have to spray anything on the kids
http://www.amazon.com/Bug-Off-Biting-Insect-Repelling/dp/B00006L7VN/ref=pd_bxgy_hpc_img_b/103-7855386-8522250

california baby also has sunblock with citronella in it. So far it works well for us.

BeachBum
05-01-2007, 06:57 AM
We bought a 'cactus juice' spray at our local outdoor store. It seems to work pretty well and is not a chemical.