PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your Toyota Camry

kijip
04-30-2007, 10:01 PM
We have been kicking around the idea of a new car for some time. We actively started researching a few months ago. We looked very seriously at the Prius and opted against it for a few reasons, namely that a non-salvage Prius with a clean title without a zillion miles on it was out of the range we wanted to spend- approx 15,000.

We decided to wait and see and save the money. THEN our Corolla, perhaps pissed off that we were being unfaithful, LOL, failed to start this afternoon. That put car shopping on the front burner again, :P.

I started having doubts when we were shopping for a Prius about being able to swing that backseat with a much hoped for 2 car seat future...and still fit a person or a booster seat back there in a pinch. We often have to drive my mother around, so it was a concern. Also, my nephew is moving to Seattle this summer so we can count on having him back there sometimes too. Obviously, the backseat of the Corolla was not going to work either so we decided to consider a Camry. We have a demonstration checkout on one now. It is low miles, VERY good price, only 2 years old, has side curtain airbags in the front and back and is the 4 cylinder LE model. It also is still on the 60K powertrain warranty for 30K miles. It is my understanding from talking to other Camry owners that the 4 cylinder is pretty good on gas. The added trunk space will be awesome for my work as I often have files, supplies and donated house items to ferry to and fro. Two seats and my big old bottom fit, as I tried it for kicks the first thing when we got home with it. Once we move to the city, the car will be garaged at my office and we will walk to work and use it weekends as needed. Since I work with fund-raising, a slightly nicer/larger vehicle would be helpful. Think event supplies, ferrying volunteers, offering sweet little old lady donors rides to events etc. While it is not a hybrid, it is still a sedan anyways. And we will be doing a walking commute, so that is something. Man, I am a good rationalizer. :P

We are thinking this is a yes, so long as it checks out with our mechanic (reliable as rain and honest to boot pair of brothers who run a shop). So what do you (especially if you have 2 kids!) think of your Camrys or Camrys you have driven?

SnuggleBuggles
04-30-2007, 10:29 PM
My friend has a Camry (not sure of the year, prob. about 3 yrs old if I were guessing). It can fit 1 Roundabout, 1 Marathon and 1 booster across the backseat. So, I imagine it could fit a not too big person in there with 2 car seats. :)

I have a Civic and am envious of this Camry. It has just enough extra room but it is still not a big car. I'm aiming for an Accord (hybrid perhaps??) for our next car when the Civic bites the dust. But, I think Camrys and Accords are basically the same car. :)

I think it sounds like a good choice. I hope it checks out!

Beth

kijip
04-30-2007, 10:37 PM
> So, I imagine it
>could fit a not too big person in there with 2 car seats. :)

Thanks...I don't often think of myself as a not so big person, thanks to the height (which I don't mind) and the extra pounds (which I do mind!!!) :P

MarisaSF
04-30-2007, 10:46 PM
I haven't looked at a new one, but can speak from experience that they are reliable! We have a '97 (got it used in 2000) and it still looks and runs great. It's on its first transmission (knocking on wood there) and has 95K miles on it. Easy to park in the city. I think it's a great long-term purchase.

The one comment I have about carseats is that I've always had a hard time installing DD's convertible seat RFing in the Camry, but ours doesn't have LATCH, and you'd be much better at that carseat stuff than I am.

Rationalize away. You're in good company. DH fantasizes about a new car. He was set on his next car being a Prius too, but now thinks he might opt for another Camry (perhaps the hybrid) -- a main factor in his change of heart was the 2 carseats we'd need to fit in it. Knocking on wood again and hoping we won't need to think about that for a while. Sorry you need to be doing a car search yourself!

JTsMom
04-30-2007, 10:57 PM
DH has worked for Toyota for 20+ years. We both drive Camrys, and are very happy with them. DH's is old- 96 I think? Mine is maybe 3 yrs old- right about there.

Most of my family drives Toyotas (and has for years- even before I met DH), and we've all been happy with all of them.

Only 1 kiddo so far, but I have his MA in the center, and I've sat back there with my mom. It's not spacious, but it's comfortable enough.

I figure it's the most popular car for a reason!

kijip
04-30-2007, 11:48 PM
Honestly, the Corolla probably just needs spark plugs or a $200 starter repair...that thing is reliable to a fault until now and we have put 150K HARD miles on the car, perhaps not the best owners (stretching between oil changes etc). So we really could skip getting a new car but...it is just time for a new one. A beige dented Corolla, ok if we have to, but we don't have too. Good old consumer desire, LOL. We sorta took it as the excuse we have been waiting for. Heck, I half wonder if we were willing a problem to arise. And good timing, since the 2005 with side airbags and the good price popped up. :P

sdjeppa
04-30-2007, 11:53 PM
I have a 97 Camry, with 165,000+ miles on it. Had wear and tear type of maintenance, but overall, its a great car. I can and have fit a RF and FF MA in the center, and been able to sit an adult on either side. I have also fit a snugride next to it. I say go for it!

hudsonam
05-01-2007, 07:43 AM
My BIL and SIL had one until it had 150k miles on it or maybe closer to 200k, and they loved it so much, they traded it in for a new one. So I think it's a very good car, but I never had one myself. Good luck with your decision! :)

Sillygirl
05-01-2007, 08:36 AM
Toyota family here. We're currently driving my IL's old Camry. It's approaching 200K miles and we've had no problems in two years. We've got two Marathons in the backseat and a smaller person can still sit in between them.

My sister also drives a Camry and loves it. She's rough on cars and everything else has fallen apart on her, but the Camry keeps on ticking.

The Review Mommy
05-01-2007, 01:17 PM
Hi all! :) Hope you don't mind me dropping in on this thread. ;)

We are looking at something bigger too. We have a 97 Corolla which we love but with the twins on the way it's going to be too tight. I actually could not get a tight install with the Keyfit and Safeseat. Everything back there is wrong for car seat installation. The seat has a crazy deep molding which prevents me from being able to hug the base against the seat back, the buckles are too long, and the lap/shoulder portion is located a bit to the side which is making for a real wiggly install. Plus I can't reach around the back of the carseat to remove it from it's base! I'm also having to sit too close to the airbag which is freaking me out. Made me wonder how everyone else has been able to have RR car seats in their small cars. I'm a CPS Tech and could not get anything to fit. I tried the different Britaxes but was still sitting up too close. DH is 6ft, I'm 5'7. I have to install two carseats outboard for the twins and one of them behind the drivers seat.

So Toyota owners...do you have enough room to install RR behind the drivers seat? I'm hoping it's better then in my Corolla. Can you still reach behind to detach the seat from it's base? How much bigger is the trunk then a Corolla? What year models are "bigger"? I may have to look at something like the RAV or even the Sienna.

Rebekah

http://lilypie.com/pic/070329/cKCq.jpg http://bd.lilypie.com/vPq1m7.png

http://lilypie.com/pic/070329/rRh5.jpg http://bd.lilypie.com/HN3wm7.png

babystuffbuff
05-01-2007, 02:09 PM
Can't speak to the kids part (besides carting around nieces and nephews but we don't usually have more than one with us at a time!) but I love, love, love my Camry. I got a super deal on an '02 4-cylinder LE last year and it is a great car. I commute from southern Maryland to Capitol Hill and back every day and get 28 mpg on average. I have to start keeping track of how often I fill up my tank for work; I know that we can get to my in-laws' in south Jersey and back (3 hours each way) on 2/3 of a tank.

It is comfortable, reliable (not a single problem in over a year and it has 93,000 miles on it) and very nice to drive. I very much prefer it over DH's fancy black sports sedan. I've already told him that my next car will be another Camry, preferably a hybrid. :)

I'd go for it - I am looking forward to filling the backseat of mine up with kiddos!

ETA: When my parents and brother (7 years old) visit, my mom and I both sit in the backseat and he is in his highback Turbobooster. We fit just fine. :)

stefani
05-01-2007, 02:11 PM
Hi Katie,

I had a 1998 Camry, that got totalled in 2003, then we ended up buying another Camry (2003) which we still own now.

I have always had Toyotas (my first car was a Corolla). We are very happy with it, although the gas mileage is about 25 for city driving. Another friend said that he expected it to be higher.

We only have 1 child, but I have an Evenflow Triumph installed FF behind the passenger's side, and the front seat is still comfortable for FIL (6 ft or 6'1"). We cannot have the Triumph RF because the knob hits the side of the seat. With the Triumph, my BIL and his wife can sit with DS at the back. Not extra comfortable for long trips, but OK for 1 hour or so.

DH has a Pontiac Vibe, which has a nice trunk, it is like Toyota Matrix. The mileage is better and the car is less expensive. You may want to check that out. DH is very happy with it. I don't ride in it much as our family car is the Camry.

HTH.

kijip
05-01-2007, 02:54 PM
My mechanic says the car is a total peach. So we are getting it.

It looks and sounds like my Corolla does not do any better than a well maintained 4 cylinder Camry on the gas- we need to be better car owners. :P But even with the tire pressure checked, just after a tune-up etc we were only getting about 24-26 MPG mixed highway city. Occasionally we would do much better on the hwy. We drive just under or at the speed limit around town so I have every hope that we will do as least as good, if not better (because we will be better on the oil changes and tire pressure) on gas. So that is something.

We had looked at a Matrix but I was a little skittish about backseat size and the view out the rear window. I love the styling of that car, so I was dissapointed to cross it off the list once we moved on from the hoped for Prius.

But I am resolved to love the Camry, even if it is not was young and cute as the Corrolla, LOL.

KBecks
05-01-2007, 03:07 PM
Enjoy the new car!

kijip
05-01-2007, 03:11 PM
We ended up with a Rav4 on a rental. It is smaller, I swear, than the Corolla. Less cargo space, less people space. I don't think it would be better than the Corolla is for you.

The Camry might suit your needs. If we had 2 rf car seats, I think it would work for us. There is a lot more leg room in the front and back.

The Sienna would obviously work, but it might be more car than you want depending on your preferences. It is a lovely van and we have been tempted to buy it in the past but decided we can stick to a sedan for now.

We only really looked at Toyotas since Hondas are a tad pricer here (people buy them for sport overhauls) and we have loved the Corolla so much, I guess we became a touch brand loyal, LOL.

stefani
05-06-2007, 12:22 AM
Enjoy your Camry! It may not be as young and cute as the Corolla, but comfy, quiet, and more spacious, LOL (ah, sounds like a person...).

scoop22
05-06-2007, 06:14 AM
if you are looking to rear face in a rav good luck. ds is sitting int he middle rear facing. no room on either side. also with twins i would not go with the rav. as i am typing this i fogot they updated. so maybe you can rear face on both sides. but there still isn't much room. i would not do it with twins. we struggle in our 2002 with one..
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

SnuggleBuggles
05-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Enjoy your new car!!

Beth

crayonblue
05-06-2007, 09:29 AM
I think you will enjoy your Camry! We are on our third Camry and LOVE them.