PDA

View Full Version : Do remind DH of your anniversary (or birthday)?

kelly ann
05-01-2007, 01:38 PM
Today is our anniversary and I am 99% sure DH will forget it. I found out over the weekend that he is scheduled to play golf tonight for his golf league from work. When I found this out, I didn't mention that it conflicted with our anniversary because I wanted to really see if he would forget...isn't that just awful of me? I feel like I am testing him :(

Gosh, I feel so immature about this. However, we picked May 1st to get married so it would be an easy date to remember!

Would you have reminded your DH or would you have just waited it out to test his memory?

MarisaSF
05-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Happy Anniversary!

I hope he doesn't forget it, but I would just remind him. I couldn't even remember when mine was and my mom reminded us recently. :) Then I put it on the calendar and, as DH and I were going over our schedules for the next month, we remembered to secure a babysitter for that night.

I just think you'd both feel awful if it comes out later that you remembered and he forgot. Call him now. :)

Mommy Of A Little Angel
05-01-2007, 02:09 PM
Oh I definately remind him. I don't leave it up to chance at all. That's just how we work though. Plus, no one gets disappointed! I would call him and give him a heads up. Maybe offer to secure the babysitter and make reservations if he will cancel his golf. Or make a plan to go out this weekend and celebrate.

Happy anniversary, btw!

KBecks
05-01-2007, 03:09 PM
I usually mention it to my DH a couple of days before.

I would have reminded my DH if it was important to me to do something tonight with him. I would have told my DH to skip the league, or I would have said something like -- I know you have the league tonight, so let's celebrate my birthday on Saturday, OK?

Oh, it's your anniversary -- YOU'RE 1/2 RESPONSIBLE for making it successful, so yes, help the guy out!

This year, I seriously almost forgot my own birthday!!

californiagirl
05-01-2007, 04:29 PM
If I care, I tell him. I am unbelievably bad at remembering dates, myself, so I tell him if there is an important date coming up, and we discuss plans. Then he puts it on the calendar.

scoop22
05-01-2007, 05:47 PM
i have waited before and then pulled out a gift and he felt so bad. which was nice in the end but i will never do that again..

i hope you have a great anniversary. i am convinced dh would forget mothers day if it wasn't for all the advertisements.
have a great day
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

mommy111
05-01-2007, 06:56 PM
I'm in the minority here, but I think DH should remember the anniversary himself....I mean, how many important days do y ou have to remember for the person who is supposed to be the most important in the world to you? Just birthday and anniversary, right?
OK, now that my vent is over (can you tell I've had people forget the two), I would just tell him. It saves you some hurt.

saschalicks
05-01-2007, 07:02 PM
Absolutely positively w/out a doubt. There's only day a year you get to celebrate your union to this person. You should celebrate it even if one person has to be reminded of that.

cilantromapuche
05-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Having been raised by wolves who never remembered my bday (long story) you are just setting yourself up for failure. He will forget, you will get upset and it will not change in the future. The best thing is to have a standing plan on your anniversary.
Our tradition is that we take our kids (even thought they are little, DS is almost 4 and understands quite a bit) to an Italian restaurant (we went to one on our 1st date) and tell them how we met. In a couple years they will be telling us how we met :)

Happy Anniversary and don't waste time being upset. YOu could always suprise him in something slinky. He won't forget that!

Radosti
05-01-2007, 07:34 PM
I have a calendar that I write all the important stuff in every year. I take last year's calendar and I transcribe everything that I find to be of value. It gets hung up on the fridge. DH is very good at checking the calendar before scheduling anything (like golf or football). He has even reminded me of my best friend's birthday when I forgot to check the calendar. It works out very well, no surprises when something important comes up.

kelly ann
05-01-2007, 08:18 PM
Thank you for all of your replies. I was not able to get in touch with him at all today. He was in meetings all day and then went straight to golf.

He just got home about 20 minutes ago and is spending some time with DS. We will just celebrate when DS goes to bed. I am a little hurt still, but I could have reminded him. I think all of you offered some great ideas about remembering dates in the future and I will definitely take a different approach next time.