PDA

View Full Version : Diaper Cake Help!

jrhoads
05-01-2007, 05:27 PM
Hello- I am looking for instructions on how to make a diaper cake. Not the kind where you roll the diapers individually and then band them together but how you make the diapers look fanned out or layered. Does that make sense? Anyways I have now wasted my whole day trying to do this- so if anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks! J

cstack
05-01-2007, 07:24 PM
OK, give me a few minutes to find the site I used (those are the ones I make). If I can't find it, I'll try to explain. They're really simple.

cstack
05-01-2007, 07:53 PM
I can't find the site I used, but I'll do my best to explain it to you. I made 1, 2, 3, and 4 layer cakes. I'll explain a 3 layer cake (the others are the same, you just adjust the bottle and paper towel roll accordingly - ie. I just use an 8 oz. bottle in a 1 layer cake, a 4 layer cake gets a paper towel roll and an 8 oz. bottle).

I start with the top layer and a 4 oz bottle. I use 10 'sposies, although you could also use pre-folds. I start by hold the bottom (crotch part) of the diaper against the bottle and I wrap it around the bottle. Then I take the next diaper and overlap the bottom of the second diaper over the waste band of the first diaper and roll this diaper around the bottle. It helps, when you're starting out to have someone help you hold the diapers. After I get a couple of diapers wrapped around, I put a rubber band over them to hold them, then I just lift the rubber band and place the next diaper under it.

Once I get the number of diapers on that I want (like I said, I use 10, you could use more or less, keep the rubber band around the diapers to hold them), I push the bottle up through the diaper roll about 2 1/2 inches and insert a paper towel roll into the bottom. Then I start the second layer (this one gets 20 diapers). Finally, the third layer, is 30 diapers (these are newborn diapers or small diapers, you could use different sizes, just adjust the number to the size layer that you want).

When I have the number of layers that I want, I wrap them to make them look more like a cake. The top layer gets wrapped in a burp cloth with a bib tucked in, the second layer in a bath towel (fold it diagonally so that the "hood" is on the final fold for a bit of whimsy), the third layer gets a fleece blanket (when I did the four layer, the bottom layer got a crib sheet, as it was quite large). You might have to play around with the folds to get them to fit, and I found the diagonal fold gives me the most length. I then tie satin ribbon around them for decoration.

The bottle sticks out of the time. I use socks that are rolled as "flowers", tie teething rings, rattles, pacifiers, etc. (anything you want, really) for decorations. I bought round cake boards at AC Moore to place them on and basket bags. Then I use curling ribbon to tie it closed and put a pacifier on the ribbon for another bit of decoration.

I hope that's clear, If you have an questions, feel free and I'll try to answer as best I can.

jrhoads
05-01-2007, 09:36 PM
Thank you soooo much! I am excited to get started! I will let you know if I have any questions. Thanks!