PDA

View Full Version : Child magazine....ceases publication?

fate
05-01-2007, 05:46 PM
I received my last Child mag today. They wrote that they are stopping publication and will send me Parents mag instead until my subscription runs out. I am not dissapointed, not really sure how I ended up with the subscription anyway.

Any thoughts/knowlwedge on why it folded?

My guess is too much competition from several newer publications; wondertime, cookie, brain, child etc.

I am curious about others thoughts on this newer trend in mags. I for one am happy to have cheap, smart, newer, and indepth options to the old standbys of Parenting, Parents, Child etc.

cilantromapuche
05-01-2007, 07:09 PM
that makes me sad. I liked it. I wonder if Cookie stoll their thunder?

fate
05-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Interesting...
Doesn't seem like anyone on BBB is that up in arms about Child folding. Maybe that is why they are calling it quits, lack of interest. I also wonder if they are part of a larger company that owns another "parenting" mag that is successful and they will instead focus there.

g-mama
05-04-2007, 08:03 AM
Yeah, I subscribe and got the same message. I was a little disappointed - it always was more substantial than Parents and Parenting magazines. I tried Cookie and hated it! Wondertime is much better than the others, IMO.

rupptopia
05-04-2007, 04:28 PM
I was bummed too, Child was my favorite. I liked their reviews of hospitals, fertility clinics & tec. I thought I would like Cookie, but it just seems too too trendy & very pricey stuff.

Looks like they lost readers & advertisers, here is some more info: http://www.medialifemagazine.com/artman/publish/article_11090.asp

I was a little ticked to remember that they wanted me to subscribe for another year or two just last month - the magazine came with a special cover & etc. Like they has no idea they were shutting down 30 days ago! I didn't renew but would have been upset if I had, a total bait & switch.

Tondi G
05-04-2007, 04:36 PM
I agree! I preferred CHILD to Parents and Parenting... obviously cause thats why I subscribed to it right! I'll let my parents subscription run out more than likely! I'll have to take a look at Cookie and Wondertime!

~Tondi