PDA

View Full Version : Anyone cut their DC's hair at home? Ideas for boy haircuts?

o_mom
05-02-2007, 12:00 PM
Our stylist who has cut the whole family's hair for over 10 years quit in December. :-( She was so great. We could schedule the whole family together, and she only charged $5 ea for the kids.

I couldn't stand it anymore and took the kids to Cookie Cutters a couple months ago, which is one of the kiddie haircut places. They have car shaped seats and movies to watch, etc. The cut was OK, but I spent $32 w/tip for both boys. :o

They are getting long again and I have been toying with just cutting them at home. I don't know that we want to go the buzz cut route as they both have pretty fine/thin hair. I guess we could try clippers on a really long setting or something. Not sure how bad I could screw it up with scissors, LOL. Anyone else do this?

Does anyone know of websites that have pictures of little kids hairstyles? I know there aren't that many variations, but I am at a loss of what would look good. Right now they are just the standard 'little boy' cut.

scoop22
05-02-2007, 12:05 PM
i'm not much help but i am interested in other posts. you can always try the scissors and end with a buzz if it is that bad.

we will be doing cuts at home from now on. ds is scared to death of going anywere. so it is either go shaggy or do it ourselves. wish us luck. would love to read some comments.

http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

brittone2
05-02-2007, 12:06 PM
I cut DS's and have given him all of his haircuts to date. Usually I think it turns out fine and I'm not particularly talented LOL. I usually sort of twirl his hair section by section and snip it that way (like they tell people to do if they are going to cut their own bangs at home for example).

He's in need of another haircut ASAP as his curls really come out when he sweats and it has been HOT here in NC the past few days. He's looking a little disheveled ;)

DH does his own outside with clippers. I'm not quite ready for DS to have hair done with clippers yet though ;)

Ah yes, the life of a family with a DH in graduate school :)

Tondi G
05-02-2007, 12:25 PM
we have a pair of clipper and I put the longest guard on for my little one and gave him an all over cut....just went every which way till he looked decent and was over having a haircut! Then I took the guard off and made a straight line across the back and carefully clipped around his ears.... or maybe I used a pair of small scissors around his ears. It turned out pretty cute, at least all my neighbors thought so! My older DS (5.5) we give him a buzz. He has a really big head and when his hair starts to get longer his head looks huge. A close cut makes him look really clean and handsome!

Here is a before and after of my little guys haircut!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/Tondi/Aidans1stHaircut001.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/Tondi/Aidans1stHaircut009.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/Tondi/Aidans1stHaircut036.jpg

I've heard decent things about the Flow-bee (I don't think thats the way it's spelled though!).

I think 32 bucks for 2 haircuts isn't bad though.... I think the local places around here are approx 25 bucks a cut!

Good Luck

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

almostmom
05-02-2007, 12:27 PM
I cut my son's hair pretty regularly, though we did go to a salon once when it was in need to some real shaping. Sometimes it looks great, sometimes a little uneven! He has pretty thick wavy hair, so there is some room to give.

I give him a lollipop, sit him on the toilet, and go. It's pretty long on top - I pull it all out to the side and cut it vertically to give him layers. I do this vertical cut for the bangs too so it isn't such a stark straight line. It sometimes looks a bit like a bowl cut, but the layering thing has helped. The back I just go as straight across as possible.

My main piece of advice would be to leave some sideburns! I used to cut it straight over his ears until I realized it looked much better with some longer pieces in front of his ears, then cut up around the ear.
You can also do some cutting in the bath when their hair is wet - I know my DS sits still better in the bath than anywhere!

I'm hoping to make it a few years before having to cut DD's hair...

Good luck!

Liz
DS 11/7/03 and DD 12/9/05

DrSally
05-02-2007, 01:01 PM
wow, that turned out really well. I've been toying with trimming around Ds's ears and nape of neck. He just has really fine hair and some curls that stick out. I hope it goes ok.

o_mom
05-02-2007, 02:53 PM
Oooo... I like that. It isn't much shorter than after they cut it with scissors, so maybe we could try a really long clipper cut.

I know $32 isn't too bad, but after paying just $5 I was so spoiled. :-) They seem to need them about every 2 months, so it adds up. I think GreatClips is only $8 each so we could probably get away with $20 for the two of them, but they don't have all the distractions that I could use at home.

o_mom
05-02-2007, 02:53 PM
The more times I watch them cut it, the more I think it doesn't look too hard. :-)

o_mom
05-02-2007, 02:55 PM
I hadn't thought about a lollipop, but seeing the pictures above seems like it is a good distraction. I was thinking a large sheet in front of the TV :D

I think I'll talk to DH about it tonight. Walmart has a harcutting kit with clippers and scissors for $25...