PDA

View Full Version : Cutting girls' thick bangs?

JustMe
05-02-2007, 09:49 PM
I have been meaning to ask this question for quite some time, and was inpired by the post about cutting boys' hair tonight.

Dd's hair goes really fast, and she has to have bangs for now because when I have tried to grow them out a new layer grows under the original hair. I have been cutting her bangs since she came home at 11 mos, and though it takes me a while, I had generally been doing a decent job. Then it seemed like the haircutting scissors I had became dull. I tried to replace them with 2 different kinds, but they have not done the trick. I am realizing this may be because her hair at 4 is a lot thicker than it was when she was a baby. My other question is does anyone have any tips on how to actually cut bangs. I am now doing it by putting tape across, then cutting, then removing the tape and refining what I did. It worked pretty well, although now that her hair is thick, I wonder if it would be better for me to cut in layers. I also wondered what people know about twisting the hair to cut bangs. I saw that in the other post, and never tried that before.

So, my 2 main questions are 1) Does anyone know what type of scissors would be best and 2)Any ideas on the best way to actually cut her bangs?

TIA,

Robyn

MeAndMyStar
05-03-2007, 12:17 AM
Hi Robyn! I cut my bangs using the twist trick. (It's so your bangs don't get cut at a weird angle and then you keep having to cut them shorter and shorter to make them even.) You take the piece of hair in the middle, about a half inch or so, and twist it to a point. (Do this when the hair is dry unless you have perfected the technique...when the hair dries it will sometimes "shrink up".) Then you snip off the very end and fluff it out to see how it looks. You can always go back if it's still too long. Then repeat with the other sections and voila!

This technique works good for squirmy kids as well because you can't really cut a huge chunk by accident. As for the scissors, invest in a good hairdresser's pair and find somewhere that will sharpen them for you. HTH!

JustMe
05-03-2007, 04:17 PM
Interesting. So you just try to cut off a very little piece and it pretty much is not that hard to cut the same amount off?

Sorry, I need remedial instructions!

Thanks,
Robyn

JustMe
05-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Sorry for sort of bumping up my own post, but I need to do a trim very soon, so I am wondering if anyone has any more ideas on how to cut the same amount off the twist and cut routine or any other suggestions in general.

Thanks,
Robyn

MeAndMyStar
05-10-2007, 12:01 AM
Hi Robyn, I think this is the page I used when I first cut my own bangs last year. :) GL and HTH! http://www.ehow.com/how_17113_cut-trim-own.html

ETA: I just read the instructions again and I did the twist method rather than the cut straight across. It's really pretty simple. Just basically follow those directions but twist small sections of bangs into a point and snip off the very end. It makes it so it's easier to see how much you are cutting off and you are cutting little sections at a time so it's harder to mess up. HTH!