PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE - OT: Prank Calls from a Withheld Number

CharmedOne
05-02-2007, 11:43 PM
There's nothing my carrier can do except change my number. :( I had to change DH's number since we're on a family plan and have an entirely different area code from the area we currently live in (we moved from NorCal to SoCal a couple of years ago). What a pain! I just had new, pricey business cards printed too.

At least now people won't think I mistyped my phone number. It's confusing to have a "510" area code when you live in the "310"!

I hope karma gets those little punks back!!!

I think I'm out of luck on this one...

Is there anything I can do about constant unsolicited calls on my personal cell phone? I'm careful about giving out my cell number. That's what our house number is for; we screen every call. However I also use my cell for work, so I can't block unlisted calls.

Anyway, today I've been receiving a LOT of calls from a withheld number. It seems to be the same caller - same background noise, static, etc. A couple of times there was a kid (probably middle-school age) shouting profanity at me. He actually said "mother f-----" to me and hangs up right away! In fact, I also have a couple of voicemails, one with the same language.

I don't know what to do since there's no caller ID available! I'm more disturbed that it is a child making these calls. Any advice?

ETA - I've also received random text messages with just "1" in the body. Could just be a coincidence.

Caroline

http://b2.lilypie.com/3k5Am7/.png
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif 23 months

denna
05-03-2007, 01:40 AM
I know you said it was your work cell, but is it possible to get your # changed? I had a similar experience a couple of years ago, but it was actually bill collectors calling repeatedly for some woman I had never heard of. So i called the cell company and they changed my # for free.

If that is not an option for you, I would try calling the local Police (non-emergency number) and see if they can offer you any advice (other then change your number).

Best of luck!

kijip
05-03-2007, 02:30 AM
Is there a way for your cell company to block their number?

egfmba
05-03-2007, 10:10 AM
I'd contact your service provider and make them aware that you're receiving what you consider to be abusive, harrassing, possibly threatening phone calls. Ask them what your recourse is, and what their abilities are. Most companies, once made aware of such a situation, would offer as much help as they can.

Also, contact your local police and see what they can do. Even if nothing else, they can track the call and find the source. Now, whether they *will* is a different matter.

Good luck, and I hope those little punks get what's coming to them for stressing you like this!

eva