PDA

View Full Version : If you could open your dream school...

emilyf
05-03-2007, 08:42 AM
I'm just fantasizing here, but there is a closed parochial school right behind my house that is in great shape and a beautiful building. I'm thinking of approaching the priest about reopening it either as a private school or a public charter school. I've been reading up on different alternative educational systems and am drawn to Montessori, and elements of a classical curriculum, I also really like the Charlotte Mason homeschooling ideas. I would want it very small, with mixed age classrooms. What would you want in your ideal school?
Emily mom of Charlie born 11/02 and Zoe born 9/05

megs4413
05-03-2007, 09:05 AM
i really want to start a university model school without the religious aspects....

lizamann
05-03-2007, 11:25 AM
No homework until 3rd grade, and even then not too much!

An organic salad bar, along with the requisite nutrition education. (Our local public school actually has this!)

All the arts, world language instruction starting early on.

PE, and recess every day.

Teachers well-trained in differentiated instruction.

Small class sizes. Small school overall.

I should stop or I will be here all day.

kep
05-03-2007, 11:49 AM
>No homework until 3rd grade, and even then not too much!
>
>An organic salad bar, along with the requisite nutrition
>education. (Our local public school actually has this!)
>
>All the arts, world language instruction starting early on.
>
>PE, and recess every day.
>
>Teachers well-trained in differentiated instruction.
>
>Small class sizes. Small school overall.
>
>I should stop or I will be here all day.
>

I couldn't really think of any of my own, but I loooove these ideas! I agree completly. :)

Kelli

Proud Mommy to Lukey (2003). Weaned after 3 years of happy nursing!
And Mommy to our newest baby, Joseph, born 3 days after Christmas.

jenmcadams
05-03-2007, 12:35 PM
I'm running off to chase my DS, but another philosophy (at least for early childhood/early elementary) you might find interesting is Reggio Emilia. Here are a couple of links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggio_Emilia_approach
http://www.reggioalliance.org/

My DD (and soon my DS) attend a Reggio-inspired daycare/preschool. At it's core (at least in the way it's implemented at our school), Reggio seems to share many of the child-led learning philosophies of Montessori, but seemed less rigid and more imaginative to me.

HTH

SnuggleBuggles
05-03-2007, 12:43 PM
Great list! I'd add to that:
-respecting the learning styles of boys and girls by providing a learning environment where kids (especially boys) where they are given short breaks for physical activity throughout the day and not expecting them to sit at desks all day.

-a developmentally appropriate learning environment

-a school where kindergarten isn't the new first grade

-snack time during the AM (I was always starving in school and it was hard to focus. Did not matter what I ate for breakfast. I was just hungry!).

-opportunities for parental involvement

Beth

MamaKath
05-03-2007, 01:00 PM
I'm with these guys on most of the ideas, though I would want a school that was religous. Charlotte Mason's has so many opportunities for a well rounded education.

I would also add some Waldorf/Steiner educational ideas like....
*lots of natural materials for making toys
*teachers looping (following a class as it moves up, Waldorf keeps children with the same teacher for up to 8 years)
*musical and instrumental lessons for children starting in pre-k
*lots of opportunity for mixed age level activity (how many of your co-workers are your same age???)
More waldorf info at www.waldorfanswers.org

All of these things add so much opportunity for environmental learning instead of the prepackaged curriculum.

brittone2
05-03-2007, 01:10 PM
I like both Beth and Kath's ideas.

I think handwork ala Waldorf is a really good developmental skill (using different parts of the brain together, developing fine motor skills). I like that when a toy is damaged, they work on fixing it (can't do with a lot of plastic stuff) so that things aren't so "disposable." I like the natural toys, teacher looping, artsy aspects of Waldorf. I'm kind of a fan of delaying academics a bit (or following a child's lead). I like the focus on oral storytelling. I like the fact that movement is important (I don't think young bodies or old ones were meant to be stuck in chairs for a large portion of the day). I like the reverence aspect of things.

I like the mixed ages of Montessori, the focus on letting kids go at their own pace. I like the idea of providing awesome materials and letting kids explore. I like the role of a teacher as a facilitator.

I'm big on hands on exploration. I'm a fan of big movement and self reliance...wheeling wheelbarrows, shoveling dirt to plant plants. Watering them with a hose. I think there are so many lessons to be had there. I know my DS eats that stuff up.

There's a "montessori farm school" opening near me that integrates animal care/farm activities in with a montessori curriculum. Not sure about specific details but in principle I think that's pretty cool. I'd love to see things like sheep shearing and then showing kids how to spin wool, use it to finger knit, etc. kind of along the Waldorf vein.

Oh, and grades. I don't see much of a point in elementary school. With a small school, I'd find it much more valuable to have a thorough written eval of my child's strengths and areas that are still developing.

scoop22
05-03-2007, 01:31 PM
but don't forget we have standards that need to be met!!!!!
http://b2.lilypie.com/XbITm4.png

lizamann
05-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Only in the public schools, really. Nobody really holds the private schools to any standards.

Zana
05-03-2007, 03:59 PM
So glad to see this...DS is joining a Reggio daycare after having been a Montessori one thus far...I think he'll enjoy it being less structured

jk3
05-03-2007, 07:03 PM
That's not true in the least. There are standards in private schools as well. Even in the most progressive private schools, there are curricular goals and expectations. In fact, in many private schools if students do not live up to these goals, or in some cases exceed the goals, they are counseled out.

Jenn
DS 6/03
& cautiously expecting in May!

jk3
05-03-2007, 07:04 PM
Minus the salad bar (no lunch is offered) - this list sounds like our local public schools.

Jenn
DS 6/03
& cautiously expecting in May!

stefani
05-07-2007, 04:00 PM
When I was looking for a daycare of DS, I had wanted a Montessori school with Mandarin Chinese immersion. Probably not what many people's ideal school :-)

Small classes is important to me. I think DS feels more comfortable when he walks into the classroom that there are not so many children in there.

HGraceMom
05-07-2007, 04:23 PM
I'd use the Hillsdale College Academy curriculum - www.hillsdale.edu - it's free to download & in use all over the country. If there was one operating close to us, that'd be our choice, hands-down. Classical curriculum, high standards & expectations, and runs k-12!

emilyf
05-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Thanks for all the great idea. I swing from wanting a very classical education to wanting something a bit more alternative. It's unlikely my dream school will happen, but all these thoughts help me with our school search for ds, there are tons of choices around here!
Emily mom of Charlie born 11/02 and Zoe born 9/05