PDA

View Full Version : Photography gurus - suggestions needed

ciaobella
05-03-2007, 01:41 PM
I have been using a digital SLR (DSLR) for the last 3 years and just upgraded my camera ... but I am ashamed to admit that I only use the auto features! I have been told that I have a creative eye and I have been able to fix my photos in photoshop elements.

However, with all of that said - I really want to take my photography to the next level! I am planning on taking some local classes in the upcoming months but I would also love some easy to read books on the subject as well. I need to learn all about shutter spead, aperture, lighting, etc but I am not a fan of technical reading, so I am hoping to find a book that explains these subjects in a simple way. Any suggestions?

I got Scott Kelby's "The Digital Photography Book" for Christmas and it a great book, but it assumes you already know the fundamentals and he is really just giving you tips on which settings to use in various situations.

I really want to learn about the features of my camera (Canon 30D) and how each of the compents affects a photo (aperture, shutter speed, etc).

I have been looking at Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera" by Bryan Peterson; "Complete Digital Photography, Third Edition (Digital Photography Series)" by Ben Long; "Mastering Digital Slr Photography" by David D. Busch (new edition coming out in July 2007); and "The Digital SLR Guide: Beyond Point-and-Shoot Digital Photography" by Jon Canfield.

I would like to start off with one really great book and would love your feedback. Any other tips on how to "take it to the next level" would be great too! Thanks!

kellyotn
05-03-2007, 03:53 PM
I recently googled "online photography classes" to get a grasp on the basics.

I'm starting with http://www.morguefile.com/archive/classroom.php. Its very "beginner" based and its free. I'm going to progress from there, but I really like this site's basics.

For the books, I'd just see what your library has first off. Sometimes its just hard to say which "technical" book like this will grab which reader.

BethS
05-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Get "Understanding Exposure"! It was suggested to me over and over and is great for the technical stuff.

BillK
05-04-2007, 09:11 AM
http://www.bluecranedigital.com/30D.htm

I got the training DVD for my Nikon D50 and it was very helpful. I'm sure the one they make for the Canon 30D is just as good.

kcimato
05-04-2007, 02:54 PM
Another good suggestion is the Digital Field Guide specific for your camera. I have the Canon EOS digital Rebel Field Guide for my camera. They make one for just about every camera brand. It's by Wily Publishing Inc. Each camera has a different author.

michlyn
05-04-2007, 03:53 PM
I have this book - it is pretty easy reading and explains the basics. The Digital SLR Guide: Beyond Point-and-Shoot Digital Photography by Jon Canfield

I have also heard the Understanding Exposure book is very good starting point.