PDA

View Full Version : Sangria and other recipes for Cinco de Mayo

Lynnie
05-03-2007, 03:21 PM
This is following up on a post in what's cooking that is not getting much love.

Anyone have a great sangria recipe ? And margaritas ?

Or other ideas ?

I am going to have a guy making fajitas, but need more filler foods too. Will have chips and salsa. And likely a dip of some sort. possibly some store bought tacquitos (shhh, don't tell), and veggie plate just because. oh, and I guess corona beer with lime.

And, I am going to make a choc. kaluha cake (mmmm)

Maybe I should make something choc/cinnamon too ?? Any other ideas ?

brittone2
05-03-2007, 03:30 PM
no recipes, but I love sangria. Can I come??? ;)
sounds like one delish menu.

JacksMommy
05-03-2007, 04:26 PM
Ooh, ooh! I have one! Ths is my very favorite recipe for sangria - it is SO easy to make you'd never suspect it's fabulous, but I've never served this without having at least one person ask for the recipe. I love it because people always assume we slaved over a stove to make it. P.S. Even though I live in wine country (or perhaps because), I've never found the burgundy they recommend - other ones work just fine).

RUBY RED SANGRIA
This three-fruit sangria will keep in the refrigerator for several days. You may want to transfer it to bottles or jars, however. If stored for longer than 24 hours, it should be tightly covered so it stays fresh tasting and does not pick up any refrigerator aromas.

INGREDIENTS:
-- 1 Valencia orange, unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch dice

-- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and cut into 1/2-inch dice

-- 1 lemon, unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch dice

-- 1/2 cup sugar

-- 3 bottles (750 ml each) California Burgundy wine, preferably Taylor Hearty Burgundy

INSTRUCTIONS: Divide the diced orange, apple, lemon and the sugar between 2 pitchers.

Add the wine, dividing it evenly between the two pitchers. Stir until the sugar dissolves.

Refrigerate until well chilled before serving.

Serves 6 to 8.

PER SERVING: 250 calories, 1 g protein, 17 g carbohydrate, 0 fat, 0 cholesterol, 15 mg sodium, 0 fiber.

HTH, and tell me if you use/like it!

Laurel
Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Babywearing education in Napa, CA

Lynnie
05-03-2007, 05:43 PM
sounds great ! that's what I am making. looks niiiiice and easy. and I trust you that its great - thanks ! :)

JacksMommy
05-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Well, obviously great is a matter of taste, but this one has certainly been a winner for us!

Hope you love it!

Laurel
Mama to Jack 6/02 and Maddy 12/04

Babywearing education in Napa, CA

sdoyle
05-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Ooohhh...I LOVE Sangria!! I have TONS of recipes that I love. Here are my favorites:

Peach Sangria (huge hit at parties)
1 peach and 1 nectarine cut in wedges
5 oz peach brandy
1 bottle chilled Prosecco (or any sweet white wine prosecco is fun b/c it's sparkling)
1 cup peach nectar
superfine sugar to taste (superfine works best with all sangrias)

Combine all ingredients except wine mash fruit a little and chill 1 hour, add wine and serve. Sometimes I leave out the brandy if I don't have any left :)

Pink Sangria
2 pkgs. frozen sliced Strawberries
1/2 cup sugar
2 bottles rosé Wine
1 can frozen Lemonade Concentrate
2 cups chilled Pineapple Juice
1 bottle chilled Club Soda

Combine all ingredients (chilled) and serve in a large pitcher or punch bowl.

Also....make your own recipe. I do this sometimes:
1) Pick a fruit combination and put in pitcher.
2) Add a fruit flavored alcohol or juice to fruit
3) Smash fruit a little
4) Sprinkle with superfine sugar
5) Cover with a complimentry wine (inexpensive wine is fine- you won't really taste it anyway)

Options: Plum/pineapple with pinapple juice and red wine
Mixed berry with red wine
Mango/peach with mango nectar

Stacy

Mommy_Again
05-03-2007, 07:03 PM
This is my brother's fraternity margarita recipe. It is very different than your typical margarita, but really good and super easy to make.

- 1 can frozen limeade (12 oz)
- 1 can 7 Up or Sprite
- 1 Corona beer
- 1 can tequila (fill empty limeade can)

mix and serve- yummy!

clc053103
05-03-2007, 07:12 PM
Thank you for posting this- I was the original poster on What's Cookin!

I ended up finding a recipe on Allrecipes.com and my fruit is soaking in brandy as we speak- this one also uses burgundy wine and a similar mix of fruits, but also oj, lemon/lime soda, and a touch of sugar.

denna
05-04-2007, 02:40 AM
I took some weekend bar tending classes a couple years ago with my girlfriends (you know to expand our horizons) :) So i think I make a pretty tasty margarita here's how it goes:

Ingredients:

Tequila (Your choice of brand)
*Triple Sec
Rose's Lime Juice
Sweet 'N' Sour Mix
Margarita Salt

For fun blue Margaritas sub Blue Karacua (sp?) for Triple Sec

Now for the fun part ;)

You take your glass (usually high ball, but whatever you like really) and you dip the rim of the glass (I use a tupperware lid) in the lime juice and you twist it around. Then you take the Margarita Salt bowl and you dip the glass in it.

Then you add your ice and pour a tad bit of lime juice over the ice. Then I add in my Tequila (a 4 second pour w/ spout or an ounce/shot glass). Then I add the Sweet and sour mix, fill the glass about 3/4s of the way full. Then add a splash (1-2 second pour) of Triple Sex an extra 'splash' of Tequila and a dash of lime juice and stir. (I use a straw or chop stick to stir).

HTH They are really yummy I promise :)

Corie
05-04-2007, 02:03 PM
Your recipes sounds delicious! When you have a chance, will you please post it?

Thanks!

Lynnie
05-04-2007, 02:04 PM
come on over !!

Corie
05-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Lynnie,

I would LOVE your recipe for the Chocolate Kahlua Cake! Sounds wonderful !!

clc053103
05-04-2007, 03:11 PM
This is from memory as I was preparing it last night:

1 bottle dry red wine (like burgundy)
3/4 c brandy
1 c orange juice
1 can lemon lime soda
1 orange
1 lemon
1 lime
1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
1 c pitted cherries
1 medium apple, cored and sliced into chunks
-
slice citrus fruits thinly, place in pitcher w/ remaining fruit. Add brandy, and chill the brandied fruit for at least two hours. chill the wine, oj and lemon lime soda separately.

to serve, crush the fruit gently with a spoon. Add the OJ, soda and wine, add a touch of sugar to taste, and serve.

You can multiply the recipe- I used a "jug" of wine (the only time jug wine is socially acceptable!) and a 750ml bottle of Brandy- which is 5x the recipe.

Lynnie
05-04-2007, 08:18 PM
I'll look for it. Its the "cheating" kind, but I've never made a choc cake from scratch that I liked so its what i do ! Anyway, I'll edit when I find recipe, but I know it needs a box of devils food cake mix, a packet of vanilla pudding, some eggs, a tub (pint ?) of sour cream, and possibly some cooking oil, and chocolate chips and kaluha. I also add a little bit of vanilla. and i often put a *little* more kaluha than the recipe calls for. its really good. one ex boyfriend called it a chocolate sponge.

Corie
05-04-2007, 08:39 PM
You must have missed my post about Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill wine. Now,
that's top-notch, high-quality screw-top wine! :)

Thanks so much for the recipe!

Corie
05-04-2007, 08:42 PM
Thanks Lynnie! It sounds delicious! I would love the 'Chocolate Sponge' recipe. :)

Corie
05-07-2007, 08:05 PM
I am definitely going to try this!!

Were you able to walk after drinking one of their margaritas??? :)